Mexican Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Mexican Telecaster

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

This handles all styles easily. I mostly play metal and it's superb, even in drop D. It's also good for country, jazz, blues etc. I run this direct into a Marshall MG100HDFX and it sounds awesome.

Overall this is a solid, versatile guitar that would suit most guitarists. I'm quite a competent player and this just feels right and easy to play. I'd definitely buy another one and I probably will by the end of the year. My only problem, like I said earlier, is the tone and volume knob, but as this is the cheaper Mexican Fender, I guess they had to cut cost somewhere.

This is solid guitar and the paint seems solid so it should withstand a fair bit of abuse, the neck is also solid and so far, it's holding up very well and it gets played at least 10 hours a week so it should cope with being used live.

This was perfect straight out the bag, everything in place and nothing was loose. The action is nice and low so shredding is a breeze. I got the lake placid blue one and it's looks fantastic, stock pictures of this colour do it no justice, you really need to see one to appreciate it. The strings are 9-42 which are good but too light for me, but that's a personal thing, they're still very good strings though.

I bought this brand new and it's the 2011 new model. Standard Tele features, stock single coils, 21 medium jumbo frets. This has the more modern bridge with six saddles not the old school 3 saddles. One piece maple neck with bog standard tuners but they do the job and aren't flimsy. The only thing that bothers me is the quality of the volume and tone knob, they seem really cheap so I'll probably change them.

Symphonica
    rv_phoenix wrote: A 10 for the sound, while playing through a crappy Marshall MG DFX? A 9 for features, while mentioning the cheap volume and tone pots (I must add the entire electronics, which is cheap Chinese garbage and should be replaced immediately)? Unfortunately, MIM Teles are strikingly inconsistent. You need a lot of time and testing, and a lot of experience too, until you find a good one. I've tested them in one of my music shops, in two separate sessions. First time, they've had 5 MIM Teles, second time, after an year or so, there was a new batch of 6. Various models, of course. From 11 guitars, only 2 (two) were good in all respects, one from the first, one from the second batch. Even the guys at the music shop were embarased, knowing I'm experienced and their guitars aren't worth of the Fender logo. As for the Squiers, the Bullets and the Affinities are crap. But Classic Vibes are much better than any MIM Fender. That's the truth. I don't know what's going on at Fender's, but it seems they don't make guitars anymore. They only look after insane selling figures, taking advantage of their fame and of the lack of experience many innocent buyers are driven by.
    Leep_dog
    You can easily play metal with stock Telecasters. Ask Tom Morello, I think he gets some pretty sweet tones out of his. You can play anything on a Telecaster.
    milwaukeerocker
    Mexican teles are nice guitars. In my opinion, You should take any guitar you buy to be setup. You can play nearly any style with a Tele.
    Jacob<3Guitar
    Seriously. One mans opinion. The squiers, bullets, and affinities, they're good for what they are. I own a Mexican strat and I prefer it to all the new Fender's and most of the other stuff. But, that is also one mans opinion. Theres nothing worse than someone who tells you whats good and what isn't, let people make up their own mind.
    joelisonfire
    I've owned this same mexican tele' I regret trading it lol, it was an awesome guitar that was perfect for metal,punk, and rock music! never had a problem with it and I've seen quite a few musicians using mexi-tele's for metal! it does the job! I currently have a Mexican stratocaster and the only problem I have with it is the input feels kind of loose on it! other than that fender kick's *** and I love the maple necks!
    TomlinsonBen
    I wouldn't give this guitar 9.5 rating by any means when compared to an american made tele, but for what it is and the price paid i think a 9.5 is reasonable. The tone is incredibly versatile especially with the right amp, and aside from the easily replaceable cheap tone/volume nobs my only issue with it is the input jack which feels a little loose, but still hasn't failed me and probably wont.
    SISO
    The average tele isn't just for country but it isn't that versatile. That being said you can see Joe Duplantier from Gojira playing Oroborus with one.
    DeanRedneck
    MaggaraMarine
    DeanRedneck wrote: The MIM Fenders are nice guitars, but I've played Squiers that are pretty comparable if not better, feel-wise. With the MIM stuff I feel like I'm just paying for the "Fender" decal on the headstock. And why is it that every reviewer plays through an MG or Spider amp? A nice amp will make a far greater improvement on your tone than any guitar you can buy.
    Somebody (like me) buys a guitar before amp because they want different feel and at home you are not going to need that good sound. I bought a Charvel and I still only have Roland Microcube as my amp. And people (like me) are going to play it through different amps. But I see your point. But of course the guitar also makes a difference soundwise. So if you have a Marshall MG and a crappy Strat copy that feels, plays and sounds awful then you'll notice a difference when you play a Fender Tele even though you had a Marshall MG. It's still an improvement soundwise. But as I said, people buy guitars because they feel great, not only because of their sound. And I'm not saying that the reviewer bought the guitar because of its feel.
    rv_phoenix
    pyrotas
    Stock single coils, for metal? Uhm. Let me be a little dubious here
    Kozlic
    when u said that you use a telecaster for metal I was like ''ok...everyone has a different ear'' but when u said that it sounds awesome thru a MG, well then I stopped reading.
    grungelive72
    Maybe for the teles and strats, But my MIM jaguar classic player HH is phenomenal and better than some American strats or teles IMO.
    leonkennedy74
    I think the unregistered user is incorrect on which model he owns. The MIM Standards don't come in "baby blue" - which I can only assume is either Daphne blue, featured only on the Highway One Telecasters - or Sonic Blue, which I haven't ever seen on a standard production telecaster. In addition, the standards don't have a finished neck like the 50's or 60's models do. They're just slabs of one piece maple wood. I've got a friend who has a MIM Standard that you can actually feel the wood grain on the neck. Lovely guitar that tele is.
    Vantage
    I've got an MIM that is what I would call either a "baby blue" or "light blue." You can PM me if you're really dubious and I'd be more than happy to provide you pictures of it.
    leonkennedy74
    Honestly, I don't care that much. They have that color out that's similar to Gibson's Pelham Blue - I think it's called Lake Placid Blue or something - but I would never really call that baby blue. I've heard my Daphne Strat called Baby Blue, and I certainly would say that's true, but the Placid? Maybe... Still doesn't really address the finished neck either, which no MIM standards have ever had, as far as I'm aware. Again, my 50's Player Strat has a finished neck, and I've seen some of the 60's bound body Tele's have them, but not a MIM.
    GuitarPetey
    I have now registered and there is a photo of this guitar in my profile. As you can see, it's a light blue, maybe not quite, "baby blue," but pretty close. Of course you can't see where the finish is peeling, in any case it hadn't started yet when the photo was taken. The serial number for the guitar is: MZ5063495, which, according to a website means it was manufactured between 2005 and 2006.
    Polimax
    I bought a new 1950's tele a mexican, about 8 years ago .did tons of home recording with it, it is a tone machine! very versatile all i have done is replace the 3 white metal barrel saddles with AllParts brass ones. I have had a tele lover who owns a vintage tele say he loves it. I can only speak from my experience, I spoke with a guy from Fender in Arizona, who said behind a curtain it would be hard to tell the Mexican 50's pick ups from the more expensive American versions!
    DeanRedneck
    I have a micro-cube and it's a nice little practice amp. I use it all the time. But there's no way I'd be able to really judge how a guitar sounds based on what comes out of the roland.
    rv_phoenix
    Symphonica wrote: Can we get this man a higher horse?! Seriously, you don't need to be so condescending about it.
    No, you can't. You need a lot of humour... and zou obviously don't have any.