Modern Player Jaguar review by Fender

Fender: Modern Player Jaguar

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Cranboune Music

Grunge, Indie rock, grunge, BritPop, grunge, alternative... And grunge. Yeah you may notice a theme here. The P90s are a little noisy and a the bridge pickup a little abrasive - but I love it. The sustain is great. The P90s and the mahogany body are just made for each other. There's a real resonance to the sustain. The middle pickup setting sounds nice and mellow on clean channels and the neck is full and punchy. But the bridge is where you want to live. I was thinking about upgrading the pups but I've decided against it. It's really pretty perfect for my tastes. A noise gate cancels the P90 hum. Versatility isn't it's strong point. My Les Paul will give more hard rock mids and crunch for stuff like GnR or Aerosmith. The Strat will be cleaner for your Hendrix workouts and fuzz pedals. But really - anything in between and you can pickup this guitar.

"But it's not a reeeeeeal Jaguar" is the usual cry that this guitar seems to evoke from over-sensitive gear snobs across the internet that are just dying to be offended. No it isnt but if you look closely you'll realise that - beyond the name - it isn't trying to be a "real" Jaguar. Others will roll their virtual eyes in condescension and make some pseudo-sophisticated comment on how "commercial" Fender are for making these models. Personally I laugh - because I guess Fender daring to give us a range of new and different guitars is somehow a bad thing as well as tremendously UN-cool. ("1963 Strat re-issues 4-eva?") If by chance you're not quivering in terror at the thought of trying something a little different then I suggest you pick this guitar up and give her a go. Yes. It sucks that a $600 guitar (cheaper in the US) sounds and plays almost as good as my $2500 guitar - but lets not hate all over it cause the Chinese actually did a good job on this. I own an American Strat ($1500), a Gibson Les Paul ($2500) and this. This is my favourite guitar. Not the best guitar I own, but my favourite. There's a difference. One day you will understand son. It begs for overdrive and doesn't want to be subtle. But plug this into the Drive channel, dial up some gain, give yourself some volume and hit your favourite chord and if you aren't smiling to yourself at the sound pumping through your neighbors back teeth then you have no business standing near a guitar.

Had it for 6 months. Nothing's gone wrong. The guitar hasn't faded, bent out of shape or spontaneously combusted. Still looks nice n shiny. In fact my metal desk fan fell on it not long ago (don't ask...) and there wasn't a scratch.

No faults. Really. Look I'm sure there WILL be some out there with faults. But mines pretty flawless. Yes seriously. It's getting 10. Deal with it.

2012. Made in China. A pair of single-coil Modern Player MP-90 pickups on a sans-pickguard mahogany body. A C-shaped maple neck, rosewood fretboard with 9.5" radius and 21 medium jumbo frets, three-way toggle pickup switching, Jazz Bass-style control knobs, vintage-style Adjusto-Matic bridge with anchored tailpiece, vintage-style tuners and nickel/chrome hardware. It's basic. But that's cool.

ProgFolk12
    ProgFolk12
    Yeah but the one in the store could be miles apart from the one you get online. Same make and model does NOT mean they are built the same, nor does it mean they sound or feel the same. Even with modern mass production techniques, innumerable factors mean every guitar is totally unique. That's part of the fun
    pendragon05
    As an owner of this guitar, I agree with the reviewer. I am very impressed - I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and the finish, setup/action, playability and overall quality of the Jaguar are all superior, plus I prefer the shorter scale. I find the bridge pickup pretty much where I stay as I sometimes find the neck a little muddy at times (though I'm pretty new to this guitar thing, so maybe take that with a grain of salt). The Epiphone humbuckers provide better harder rock tones, but for most styles I'll take the Jaguar. Ok, it's not a Jag in the traditional sense, but I didn't buy it for that. It's a quality short scale offset at a reasonable price - at the time of buying nothing else compared. Worth considering in my view. thanks for the review.
    DanielDrennan
    I agree completely. Fantastic value for money, got mine back in October and it's not let me down once. Great for At The Drive-In-esque stuff.
    Mr Christopher
    ibanart300
    Mr Christopher wrote: ibanart300 wrote: Nice guitar but I think you paid way to much. I could get one of them delivered to my door for 460 brand new and I am in Australia to... True- but there's a lot to be said for playing an instrument before you buy it. For me it's worth a little more money to be sure I love the guitar in the flesh before paying.. But that's just me.
    Yeah I try in store first too...then I go get it cheaper.
    Gowbo
    Terrible review. All you did was batter on about how brilliant your guitar is. Not informative in the slightest. "and if you aren't smiling to yourself at the sound pumping through your neighbors back teeth then you have no business standing near a guitar." And what the hell even is this?
    milwaukeerocker
    a jaguar-esque gtr w/ P-90`s? i`m on board, i gotta at least try one. Fender still makes the most interesting gtrs.
    Testastretta
    I have also recently purchased a Chocburst Modern Player Jaguar, My first impression was Wow !! This is a really nice guitar, I I am amazed ate the quality of this guitar ! I have also recently purchased a 2012 American Stratocaster standard HSS, It needed quite a bit of tweeking to get it how I wanted it and the finish on the Strat was a bit disappointing I must say !! close to the edge of the fretboard there are marks from manufacturing, it's like when they smoothed the edges of the frets at the factory, they scored the rosewood a bit, it does not affect its playing. As for the Jaguar, Perfect finish, sounds brilliant, and no work needed. I think china has lifted there game of late if this is an example of there work !! It seems in this particular case the Chinese made wins over the American Made. Who'd of thunk it !! :o
    Mr Christopher
    ProgFolk12 wrote: No, it's a simple, effective review. Sure, he could've gone into more detail about the range of tones, but what he DID do was cover the basics - What it's good for, the build quality, any flaws etc. He also managed to explain how it's different and original and that's why it's his favourite guitar. For me, this said enough that I now want to go out and try one, then I can find out the finer details myself. For me that's a positive, it's not like I'm buying it purely on the strength of this review anyway.
    Thanks mate. To answer your question on tone - the closest match in my experience would be a Gibson (not Epiphone) SG. But it's got a raw'er P90 style attack with less lows than humbuckers. Pickups are reasonably hot. It's also heavier than an SG and has the Jaguar scale neck as opposed to the wider Gibson scale neck - which is a good thing for me personally. Your results may vary
    PatBlas
    I like the review too. I am new the guitar playing and have always wanted to play and decided to start now. After doing a lot of research, I ended up with the Modern Player Fender Jag. It sounds and looks beautiful. I really like the comfort of playing it. I had purchased an Epiphone LP Special II first, but I just wasn't feeling it so I returned it and upgraded to the Jag. I got good deal I think... With a store coupon I got a brand new chocolate Fender Jag for 300.00 dollars (US). Now, I cannot wait to learn to play better so I can "really" enjoy this guitar. Oh, and quality... flawless!
    ibanart300