Modern Player Jaguar review by Fender

Fender: Modern Player Jaguar

Purchased from: Wood Bros.

Set-up wise, this guitar is great. Off the floor it had great intonation and feel, and tuning stability. Sonically, I was very pleased with this guitar. The clean tone is very balanced (not too bright, not too dark/bass-y), offering an unexpected twang not unlike a telecaster. When it comes to overdrive tones, expect a satisfying and well rounded crunch that can handle pretty much any style (If you can work an amp's EQ, it's possible to get nearly everything you want, although it probably does blues and rock/punk best). I was very, very impressed with how well you can clean up with the volume knob, and even the tone control is useable.

Overall, this is the best guitar I've owned. Now, I'd recommend testing and playing it for yourself before you buy, but if this guitar is an indication of the rest, then I'd definitely say it's worth the time. I've had my share of browsing guitars, and this one just flat out kicks a lot of ass! Nearly everything on this guitar is as good as it can get. Check one out if you see one!

I have not played live extensively with this, but it's worked well so far. All the hardware seems solid, and it holds tune better than most. In a couple months, I'll have more to say on it's reliability, but for now I haven't found any issues that would be foreboding.

As for stock action, finish and playability, I'm blown away. The action is good, and definitely adjustable if not to taste. Most guitars I've played (and even own) seem very fussy with getting a good balance between action and intonation, and this one is the exception. Don't let the "Made in China" fool you at all; the craftsmanship on this is surprisingly great.

This is a Fender Modern Player Jaguar, outfitted with 2 P90 pickups, a stop tail TOM bridge, angled input jack and a volume and tone knob. Other features include a bone nut, and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The body is made of Mahogany.

bhedrock
    Great review. Straightforward and frank, yet light. Caused a smile or two here. How often does a review do that ? Thanks for posting. If I needed a new guitar, I'd take a look at this one.
    slingit
    I went to pick an Epiphone Sheraton II for the jazzier stuff, my strat doesn't like. That's when I stumbled across this wonderful baby in red! Picked it up and forgot the Sheraton. It simply sounds miraculous! Bluesy, jazzy, singing in a brilliant and a bit smokey voice. I changed the strings for D'Addario .12 flatwounds for better sustain - and its perfect! Bought in combination with a Fender Mustang I amp in Vienna, Austria, for € 399,- (some 460 USD). I love this guitar!