Modern Player Jaguar Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 02/18/2016 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Fender: Modern Player Jaguar
This guitar fits well with many musical stylings and its versatility is hard to beat.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (4) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Modern Player Jaguar Reviewed by: Mr Christopher, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Cranboune Music

Features: 2012. Made in China. A pair of single-coil Modern Player MP-90 pickups on a sans-pickguard mahogany body. A C-shaped maple neck, rosewood fretboard with 9.5" radius and 21 medium jumbo frets, three-way toggle pickup switching, Jazz Bass-style control knobs, vintage-style Adjusto-Matic bridge with anchored tailpiece, vintage-style tuners and nickel/chrome hardware. It's basic. But that's cool. // 8

Sound: Grunge, Indie rock, grunge, BritPop, grunge, alternative... And grunge. Yeah you may notice a theme here. The P90s are a little noisy and a the bridge pickup a little abrasive - but I love it. The sustain is great. The P90s and the mahogany body are just made for each other. There's a real resonance to the sustain. The middle pickup setting sounds nice and mellow on clean channels and the neck is full and punchy. But the bridge is where you want to live. I was thinking about upgrading the pups but I've decided against it. It's really pretty perfect for my tastes. A noise gate cancels the P90 hum. Versatility isn't it's strong point. My Les Paul will give more hard rock mids and crunch for stuff like GnR or Aerosmith. The Strat will be cleaner for your Hendrix workouts and fuzz pedals. But really - anything in between and you can pickup this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: No faults. Really. Look I'm sure there WILL be some out there with faults. But mines pretty flawless. Yes seriously. It's getting 10. Deal with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Had it for 6 months. Nothing's gone wrong. The guitar hasn't faded, bent out of shape or spontaneously combusted. Still looks nice n shiny. In fact my metal desk fan fell on it not long ago (don't ask...) and there wasn't a scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: "But it's not a reeeeeeal Jaguar" is the usual cry that this guitar seems to evoke from over-sensitive gear snobs across the internet that are just dying to be offended. No it isnt but if you look closely you'll realise that - beyond the name - it isn't trying to be a "real" Jaguar. Others will roll their virtual eyes in condescension and make some pseudo-sophisticated comment on how "commercial" Fender are for making these models. Personally I laugh - because I guess Fender daring to give us a range of new and different guitars is somehow a bad thing as well as tremendously UN-cool. ("1963 Strat re-issues 4-eva?") If by chance you're not quivering in terror at the thought of trying something a little different then I suggest you pick this guitar up and give her a go. Yes. It sucks that a $600 guitar (cheaper in the US) sounds and plays almost as good as my $2500 guitar - but lets not hate all over it cause the Chinese actually did a good job on this. I own an American Strat ($1500), a Gibson Les Paul ($2500) and this. This is my favourite guitar. Not the best guitar I own, but my favourite. There's a difference. One day you will understand son. It begs for overdrive and doesn't want to be subtle. But plug this into the Drive channel, dial up some gain, give yourself some volume and hit your favourite chord and if you aren't smiling to yourself at the sound pumping through your neighbors back teeth then you have no business standing near a guitar. // 10

Modern Player Jaguar Reviewed by: purassicjark, on february 18, 2016

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar is from 2011 if I'm not mistaken, made in China. It features a 22 fret maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard with the scale length measuring a very comfortable and short 24". It's a minimalist guitar for the lack of a better way of describing it. It has a satin finish which truly brings out the mahogany body. I have seen this guitar in a two-burst gloss finish as well, and to me it looks terrible. If the attempt is to put out a stripped down guitar, putting a gloss finish on it just looks out of place for the aesthetic. Speaking of out of place, this brings me to the hardware this guitar features. This guitar has a TOM bridge, which is practically unheard of on a Fender. I cant think of many models which have a similar set up. It features a Les Paul style pick up switch in its style, and its placement. This pickup selector gives you three options with this guitars "Modern Player" P-90 pick ups. The sound of which will be talked about later. Did I mention things being out of place and unheard of? I will conclude by saying that is has a Stratocaster style jackplate, and leave it at that. Also the control knobs for master volume and master tone are also something I haven't seen before on a Fender guitar. ALL of that being said. I love this guitar. I am so tired of hearing "Oh this is the beginner's Fender," it is vexing. I bought this guitar because of its bare minimalist style. It has everything I want in a guitar. Even with all of its quirks and downright strange features (in the context of a traditional Fender) it does exactly what I expected it to. A true steal for the money. Surprisingly well crafted considering some of the guitars that come from China. // 8

Sound: In the sound department this guitar was quite a surprise. I was expecting a thin and weak sound to be honest because I have had problems with P-90's before and their output levels. That being said, I plugged this guitar into my Vox AC130 and was truly contented with the sound that greeted me. Very full bodied with a crystal clear sound on the bridge. Switching to the neck, a very thick and bass filled sound with surprising note definition. I spend the vast majority of my time playing on the clean settings of a given amp, and the only pedals I really use are a reverb, an overdrive, and on occasion a delay. This guitar shines brightest on a clean setting. If that's not really what your into, this guitar has a great sound with some distortion. I never go past noon on a distorted sound, so I cant give any description of the sound for any type of metal genre, but if you're buying this guitar, I have doubts you are intending to play it for that style. The Jaguar is very well known for its indie leanings in sound, so this might suit you. The P-90's can also give you a great straight forward rock sound that isn't as aggressive as a humbucker.

I play a lot of noise and experimental styles, so for what I wanted this guitar for, it truly fits. It has a tonal variety that is very enjoyable, and sounds great. The neck pickup into a lightly overdriven amp is my true favorite. I find myself playing this guitar much more than some of my more expensive guitars. Also a huge part of the tone is this guitar's Mahogany body. Like I mentioned in detail on many other features, this wood choice is yet another one-off. Usually these are made of Alder like the Stratocaster. The Mahogany choice is a great one. A very warm tone and weighty sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up that this guitar had upon arrival to me needed very little tweaking. The action was quite low when it came, so I raised the bridge just a bit to put some fight into it, and afterward it was a breeze to play. The TOM bridge is always an easy to adjust bridge, and setting this guitars bridge height and intonation took practically no time. The pickups are well adjusted in terms of height and their output is much higher and more defined than my other guitar that features P-90's.

A thorn in the side of this guitar is the control knobs featured. I have heard a lot of people complain about how the master volume is in the way of your playing (though its in the same place as a Stratocaster...) but I disagree. I use it a lot as an anchor while I play, constantly adjust it, as well as use it for swells, so on. I actually really like its placement. My problem with them is how cheap they feel. The choice of these knobs are just a much of a one-off as practically every other feature on the guitar, but I cant let these slide. I know I am truly nitpicking, so I will move on.

This brings me to the greatest feature of the guitar. The finish. I cant say enough about the finish. A satin transparent black finish on the mahogany results in a dark brown color that just looks eye catching. The feel of your arm resting on this guitar is just perfect. The open pores in wood on close look are just beautiful. I have a true love for natural finish, either satin or gloss, but this guitar is just easy on the eyes. This guitar also comes in a truly stunning cherry red satin that is just as great, but I prefer my guitars to look more understated and modest. BUT. As I mentioned before this guitar also comes in a gloss two tone burst. That guitar is just unappealing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will take a beating. I would just leave it at that, but I should be more specific. To me this guitar was meant for abuse. The hardware is quite dependable, but I'm sure after a few years it will need to be replaced as all guitars do. The TOM bridge is pretty rock solid, though I can easily see it corroding or rusting after a few years of steady play. The knobs might as well be replaced as soon as you buy this guitar, but I've covered that. I depend on this guitar fully, and I will say that I can definitely play this guitar through a full show and not have to swap guitars. In every review I see (on any guitar, practically) the advocation of bringing a backup guitar is almost ubiquitous. I don't get in on that. Live a little. I would say only bring a backup if you're going to play a different tuning. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that is a very pleasant anomaly. Everything about this guitar is just out of the realm of ordinary for a Jaguar, and one some features for Fender itself, but maybe that's the reason I love it. Sometimes I think this guitar was designed with me in mind (I am not an idiot, I know that is not the case). To me this guitar has it all. The stripped down nature of virtually every feature is something I can get behind full force. It quickly became one of my favorite guitars. I have plenty of other guitars, ranging from cheap guitars that you have to fight to play, and high cost beauties packed with features. This guitar is the antithesis to the latter. To me the power of this guitar comes from is minimalist set up. A true favorite.

This guitar fits well with my musical stylings and its versatility is hard to beat. I am truly happy to have found it, and if I lost this guitar, I would find another one and buy it again. On the grand scale of things it is hard to find many anything wrong with it. Its just a great guitar that gets a bad rap. Whatever, it sounds great, plays great, looks great, and comes at a very accessible price point. I strongly recommend it. But, no guitar is perfect. // 9

Modern Player Jaguar Reviewed by: JDizzle787, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Wood Bros.

Features: This is a Fender Modern Player Jaguar, outfitted with 2 P90 pickups, a stop tail TOM bridge, angled input jack and a volume and tone knob. Other features include a bone nut, and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The body is made of Mahogany. // 9

Sound: Set-up wise, this guitar is great. Off the floor it had great intonation and feel, and tuning stability. Sonically, I was very pleased with this guitar. The clean tone is very balanced (not too bright, not too dark/bass-y), offering an unexpected twang not unlike a telecaster. When it comes to overdrive tones, expect a satisfying and well rounded crunch that can handle pretty much any style (If you can work an amp's EQ, it's possible to get nearly everything you want, although it probably does blues and rock/punk best). I was very, very impressed with how well you can clean up with the volume knob, and even the tone control is useable. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As for stock action, finish and playability, I'm blown away. The action is good, and definitely adjustable if not to taste. Most guitars I've played (and even own) seem very fussy with getting a good balance between action and intonation, and this one is the exception. Don't let the "Made in China" fool you at all; the craftsmanship on this is surprisingly great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not played live extensively with this, but it's worked well so far. All the hardware seems solid, and it holds tune better than most. In a couple months, I'll have more to say on it's reliability, but for now I haven't found any issues that would be foreboding. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the best guitar I've owned. Now, I'd recommend testing and playing it for yourself before you buy, but if this guitar is an indication of the rest, then I'd definitely say it's worth the time. I've had my share of browsing guitars, and this one just flat out kicks a lot of ass! Nearly everything on this guitar is as good as it can get. Check one out if you see one! // 10

Comments