Modern Player Mustang review by Fender

Fender: Modern Player Mustang

Purchased from: Gamlins - Cardiff

I was really surprised with the sound which was growls and gnarly but softened up pretty well to give you a jangly or lovely warm tone when clean. The P90s sounded like humbuckers and were much cleaner and refined than the Fidelitrons of a Cabronita. I play music mainly by alternative and indie rock artists, basically modern guitar bands as well as some typical pop punk. I don't do all the blues crap but I do find jazz and funk to be very important and this guitar suits that with its warm tone that can also become crispy when needed. It is so versatile and if you want a budget guitar that can go from jangly to warm at the flick of a switch then this is for you. It has a vintage looking floating tremolo system that isn't exactly for dive bombing but still provides a nice vintage tone if used lightly. I used this in a Vox amp with gain and clean and it was so much better than I expected.

For any modern guitarists like myself out there, at least consider this. It's easier to play than a Telecaster or Strat and combines the tone of both as well as producing its own sound which is very impressive. It is definitely a Fender and not a Squire because it feels so much more secure and refined. It sounds like a Fender and has some good pickups. It's only made in China so people who don't have the money to spend on overpriced Gibsons can enjoy a modern luxury which has some style and character and doesn't have to be played by Slash to look cool. Tbh this compared to similarly priced Epiphone Les Paul kicks butt! The Les Paul had a dull and boring tone which sounded muddy and unshaped. To be fair if you wanted, the Mustang could easily produce this sound as well the sound as anything from a Gretsch, to a Jackson. This guitar is not for people who wish they had the money to buy a KC Mustang but for the modern or experimenting guitarists who want some kicka-s tones and quirkiness. I totally see why this guitar is a popular indie guitar. Any teens out there looking for there first Fender or first guitar should play this and try it out. I recommend a Fender Mustang amp or a Vox combo with this. If you like to play in drop C or in Eb then get some 11's and let it rock. I would definitely buy it again if it were lost or stolen. Com'n man. Live with Fender in the modern and not in the past with a Strat or Les Paul. This will always serve you right and become you quirky and cool little rebel guitar. Thank you Fender for seeing our needs a giving us this awesome series. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

Now a lot of Les Paul players were typically dissing Fender for making the modern player series in China and saying that they were squires and they were cheating people out of money and trust because the guitar would fall apart and sound like crap! This guitar is solid and everything is made to perfection. Nothing is flimsy and quality parts have been used. The quality of Chinese squires is excellent and this Fender was in a league of its own. I compared this to Kurt Cobain Mustang and I'm not joking! This was better. Because they were both Fenders, they were equally solid but this guitar was lighter, the neck was setup perfectly and the bridge was solid. If this guitar was played live then I wouldn't have a backup. I promise you. This guitar is VERY dependable. The strap stays on but I would always use straplocks anyway. The finish would not wear off and this guitar would only break if you attempted to brake it. Being dropped on the floor or falling of its stand would not affect it in anyway. The hardware is very sturdy and screwed in well.

I have a CV Squire from China and that is made without a flaw but this was just unbelievable! The only reason why it is so cheap is because it's made in China and in my eyes this is not a compromise at all! The neck was so smooth and the tuners were tight and in place. The neck sat perfectly and the action was nice and close and provided great circumstances to bend and move across the strings. It came in a beautiful finish and was unmarked. It is weighted quite evenly and is easy to play and to hold generally. I have big hands but the small scale length was not tedious or difficult in anyway. People complain about the hoopy feel of the Mustang but they shouldn't because it was just an amazing feel and felt so secure and easy to play. Nicest fretboard I have played to date, even though I haven't been keen on rosewood in the past. This axe can even shred!

The Fender Modern Player Mustang was made in China in 2013. Here are the details according to Fender: - Body Finish: Gloss Polyester - Body Shape: Mustang - Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester - Neck Shape: "C" Shape - Scale Length: 24" (610 mm) - Fingerboard: Rosewood - Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm) - Number of Frets: 22 - Fret Size: Medium Jumbo - String Nut: Synthetic Bone - Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm) - Position Inlays: White Dot - Truss Rods: Standard - Neck Plate: 4-Bolt - Bridge Pickup: Modern Player MP-90 - Neck Pickup: Modern Player MP-90 - Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone - Pickup Switching: On/off, phase slider switch for each pickup (in/out) - Pickup Configuration: SS - Bridge: Floating Bridge with Dynamic Vibrato Tailpiece - Hardware Finish: Chrome - Tremolo Arm Handle: Vintage Mustang Tremolo Arm - Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style - Pickguard: 4-Ply Aged White Pearloid - Control Knobs: Vintage Style Black Plastic Jazz Bass

kerokero
    I'm not kidding when I say this is the worst review for a guitar that I have ever read. The user must know nothing of the Fender mustang history, what the Modern player brand is aiming for, nor does he know anything about guitar brands and pickups/sound shaping...
    badfish_lewis
    I've seen worse but you're right, it was a pretty bad review.
    negativefx
    What??? You're telling me a ~$500 guitar doesn't deserve a 9 rating?? Next you're going to tell me a Spider III 15w doesn't merit a 10.
    AmirT
    Excuse me, but I've tried Modern Player series and I must say that, regardless of the brand, I found it better to play and sound than most of the Squiers. Of course I'm not saying that just because of the "Fender" logo it's automaticaly better than any Squier.
    musty15
    I don't really understand how it was the worst review ever but thank you for stating an opinon! I will try better next? Maybe you could tell me how to better? I have played lots of guitars and have been playing for a few years now so I know what I'm doing. Although it seemed a bit baised, I was trying my best not to be!
    jinsu2301
    well, for one, you say that the guitar combines the sound of a tele and a strat while having P90s that sound like humbuckers. And it also sounds like a Gretsch. And a Jackson. And apparently it's made out of unobtanium since it will never ever break... And you say all that while bashing Les Paul players? Hell yes, your review is biased! I am a Fender guy too, but come on...
    musty15
    No I'm just explaining the versatility of it. If you change the switches you can get a jangly or warmer sound. It doesn't sound exactly the same obviously. And at high gain it and with the right tones selected, you could get a metal sound or vice versa get a more woody sound. It is a sturdy guitar as well. Didn't mean to offend anyone and thanks for your advice, less of the less Paul insulting and be more specific and critical?
    thebyron
    If this was you trying not to be biased, you need to try a lot harder. Ripping on Les Pauls (and the millions of people who love them) doesn't tell us anything about this guitar and takes away from the review.
    M_G
    I desperately wish they would have made even ONE model from the modern player series or the pawn shop series for lefties. I know the market is tiny, but come on Fender have a heart
    negativefx
    Lefties unite. I just learned to play righty. Much easier than drooling over all of the non-left models. Random tidbit: at least for me, the majority of the dexterity needed for playing is the left hand on a right handed guitar or right on a lefty guitar. Not downplaying picking, but my fret fingers do much more work... Seems like a left handed person would favor a righty guitar. I wonder the change in beginner instrument purchases if they swapped the right/left monikers around. Just like 'normal/goofy' on a skate or snowboard.
    Wolsten-Pilk
    I think its a brilliant review! all of you should stop bashing this guy down, just shut up, bunch of pr*cks!
    Blazingguns00
    Meh, after trying epiphone, ibanez, BC Rich and Gibsons, as well as squiers and strats... Still loving Schecter, they're a beauty to play, and never had a problem with any guitar I've bought from them.
    mjones1992
    stopped reading at "that blues crap" Really dude?
    Wolsten-Pilk
    WTF! blues is a bit crappy, I think its way dated, im utterly astonished why people bum it so much! whats the deal with blues guys?
    eloera1
    Wow you just dont appreciate the roots of rock music, this is sad, blues is a very honest music
    Wolsten-Pilk
    so???? does it really matter? "blues is a very honest music"!?!?!??!?!?!? right, 1) I think you should have used the word "genre" and 2) so is Mongolian throat singing!!!!!
    TheBegotten
    Not cool. Blues is Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Eric Clapton, Guns 'n' Roses, even a little of John Frusicante (although that's a bit of a push). It's probably the most wide-ranging and versatile genre of music.
    musty15
    Someone who plays modern music like 21st century stuff considering that's why the modern player series was built, I'd say that was fairly obvious! I don't appreciate all the stick when I'm entitled to my own opinion and if you think you can all do better write your own review or try the guitar out! No complaints coming from moi!
    bit64
    Booze?Drugs?Lack of sleep?A bad headache?There must be an explanation for this text.
    Clarkinator
    "Now a lot of Les Paul players were typically dissing Fender" I know a lot of people are "Fender players" or "Gibson players" but come on... most serious guitar players I know actually own one of each brand (I own both a Les Paul and Strat myself) and appreciate the differences in tone both offer. As for living in the modern... no thanks. I'll take my Les Paul and Strat over a "modern player" guitar any day of the week thank you. It's cool that you love your guitar, but slagging other models, especially those two... well it seems like you are just perpetuating the sterotype of certain players "typically" not appreciating other makes and models.
    eloera1
    It just happens that Strats and Les Pauls are some of the best guitars out there, and what the hell is a modern player???
    stephen.bowyer.
    Lots of bad feeling vibe in these comments. I have ordered one of these sight unseen from a big box store here in Canada, and trust it will be like all of my other made in far east wherever Fender/squier strats and teles, that is cheaper than dirt and great in quality. You think the Chinese, Indonesians or Indians cant make a great guitar at an amazing price? Think again. The quality of the rose is in its smell, not in its name or where its from.
    eloera1
    Sorry I just dont agree with you, there is nothing modern about that guitar, its build the same way a 50s Tele, Strat or Les Paul. I think Fender just named it like that to say its a newer model but playing modern music dosent require a modern instrument, its the sound of the music that is modern. Now I dont think the whole review sucks, I just disagree with that and the fact that youre dissing other guitars, its not that Les Pauls or Strats suck, its a matter of choice, and I recommend you try an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro 2013. Thanks