Modern Player Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Modern Player Stratocaster

Purchased from: Siglers

It sounds just like a Stratocaster is supposed to sound on the neck and middle pick up positions, and has the Fat Strat sound you expect from the bridge pickup, (which is a little different than you get from a typical Strat, even when split to a single coil). It is pretty quiet. You can nail classic Strat tones with it, plus it has the versatility of the single coil/humbucking bridge pickup. It sounds just as good as my $699 Mexican Classic Series '50s Reissue.

I play all kinds of music, been playin about 25 years. I've owned MIM and MIJ Stratocasters, and an MIA Mustang, and I've had (and have) lots of other brands as well. This guitar is about as good as any Strat I've ever played, I've played good ones, crappy ones, and even one great one. My Modern Player is very good. It offer good classic Strat tone, plus extends into the barky aggressive bridge humbucker tonal range. The tone control on the bridge pickup letting you take a little high end off can be nice, I wish my MIM would do that. If it were lost or stolen I would for sure buy another, its the best value going on a Fender branded Stratocaster, and they are very nice. I also have a Modern Player Jaguar, and for that classic P90 + Mahagony tone they're the best deal goin.

This guitar seems about as well made as any mid grade Strat I've ever seen. I believe it is a well tested design and soundly constructed, with proper treatment this guitar should last a lifetime+. I would never gig without a backup. The varnish is very thick and glossy on the guitar, I'm sure it will stand up to normal use indefinitely.

The fit and finish are awesome, nothing to complain about here, and evrything worked perfect. The intonation is about dead on, the action was very good, but there as a slight mid fretboard buzz. The neck had a touch of bow in it, (I'd almost say overly straight) I relaxed the truss rod a little less than a 1/4 turn and the buzz was gone.

2011 Chinese Fat Strat, Modern Player series. 22 frets, Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Pretty much what you would expect feature wise, the humbucker splits when you pull the bottom tone knob up (push/pull pot). Synchronised tremolo, Vintage style tuners (pretty good). Only comes in 2 colors, white, or silver burst, both have black pick guards and covers. The bottom tone knob adjusts the bridge pickup and the top knob does the neck and middle unlike some Strats. Only features you wont find are the skunk stripe neck, synchronised tremolo decal under the Stratocaster decal, or the original custom conture body decal on the ball of the head stock. A couple alen wrenches and the trem arm are the only other items included.

op4blushift
    You really are an idiot if you think that where a guitar is made is the only deciding factor of whether its good or not. Take a look at Squier Classic Vibes for example, VERY good guitars (possibly better then some of the lower end MIMs) at a cheap price. The Modern Players are sort of a step up from that, with a Fender logo stuck on, whether or not you like it is your desicion, but if your simply going to slag it off JUST because it says made in china without even playing it, I really don't know what to say to you. And I'm pretty sure there are even USA made guitars which suck as well.
    JBailey23
    meticadpa
    googleybear910
    JBailey23 wrote: I actually played one of these the week before last and didn't remember to check what model it was, I just thought "oooh silverburst strat, COOL!" No doubt this is a pretty sweet guitar, I'd just need to throw in a duncan JB and two texas specials and I'll be in heaven.
    That is my fantasy too!!
    Chaos-Serenade
    $400 and it's made in China. No thanks, I'll stick to my Japanese made Charvel that was snagged for $230.
    DaniArrow
    Interesting Guitar! I don't think these are a lot different from say Squiers Classic Vive or Vintage Modified Series in quality, but they're nice Beginners guitars or for playing at home and they look pretty sweet.
    Chaos-Serenade
    Korean made guitars are still better than Chinese made, though I'm not sure about today because I had a MIK Dean and it still had that terrible cheap feel to it like a MIC. But older 80's/90's guitars are were I find my gold at.
    jetwash69
    MIC Fender? Suprised I hadn't heard about that yet. So what's the diff between this and a Standard Squier Strat other than the headstock, the decal, and the saddles? BTW, my favorite stage guitar is a modded MIC Affinity Strat. But it did need a lot of work and mods to become my favorite.
    jetwash69
    op4blushift wrote: ...The Modern Players are sort of a step up from that, with a Fender logo stuck on...
    That and a 22nd fret. Which IMHO makes them better by default than any MIM I know of except a Blacktop. Well, the 22nd fret only goes so far, but you get the point... As for MIA guitars sucking, this seems nearly identical to the American Specials; main differences are the headstocks, lack of the tone bucket, and different color schemes.
    saint_berzerker
    meticadpa wrote: Some Chinese guitars are actually pretty good these days; some are awful, too, but not all of them are bad.
    It just isn't worth the risk, though..IMO. I have a hard time pulling the trigger on even a Korean guitar. Been burned once, that's all it takes. Stick to the Japs and USA's.