Modern Player Stratocaster review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Fender: Modern Player Stratocaster

Now it's really good, but out of the box (and tuned) was terrible. it sounded like a bunch of birds under the hood of a car. I've seen Walmart guitars have better sound than this thing. All the money I saved had to be used to make this junker a little less junky! New strings a good setup has it sounding great, but the finish still sucks!

P.O.S. Buy anything but this guitar! Thankfully the bad finish is on the back of the guitar. If this thing was stolen it would be doing me a favor ughh! I don't love it, that's for sure. And Guitar Center won't take the guitar back...Merry Christmas to me. I won't be shopping @ Guitar Center in the future. Please SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

Don't know quite yet... It looks cheap, but may hold up. Only time will tell. I especially love the cheapy Vintage tuners lol! Save your money and buy something better. You're paying for the "Fender" name on this junker. I've seen Squiers that sound and look alot better.

Horrible action, horrible finish!!! Fret board doesn't come even with the neck at the neck pickup. Finish looks like it was done by a 1st grader. Lots of buzzing at the 2nd and 3rd frets. Had to pay $60 to have someone go through it properly. At least I didn't pay that much for it huh!

HSS Strat with the gray/black finish and a coil splitter for the humbucker. Bought at Guitar Center and left a negative review and they refused to post it (same thing at Musician's Friend, which I think are ONE company). Be aware of the reviews because I got a feeling that not many negative ones make it. Hopefully this one does :-) Made in China...enough said right?

DRAGONSFIRE123
    Why is everyone knocking it down just because it's Chinese? Seriously it's better than some Mexicans.
    depech
    I own a Mexican Blacktop, but now I want one with singlecoils, and I was between this and a MIM standard which costs $100 more and has ceramic pickups while this one has alnicos. This guitar doesn´t cost much more than a Classic Vibe Squier, about $30 more. True, if you want to have more choices of colors and a more classic strat, maybe the CV is better, but I´ve heard this guitar and it sounds very good, and the finish looks nice, too. It has features you don´t find in every HSS, as the coil split.
    pdwohl
    I own the Modern Player in White. I had to have the guitar set up by a pro. He more or less locked down the trem to get it sounding in tune. The pots are not super smooth but the most important thing is the neck, which i love. The contour on the front of the body looks a bit weird, maybe its the way light reflects off of white paint. The pickups sound OK, but you dont get much tonal variation between them.. not as much as boutique pickups - obviously. I find MIMs to be very boring to play, same for the American Special Strat that I bought and sold.. which was made well but had no personality. THis guitar is actually fun. Its like that younger friend you get a kick out of because they are new and a bit naive and sweet. Just because it says made in China doesnt mean its not a good guitar. USA strats are made by guys from Mexico who work in the USA factory... who cares... just play and enjoy and buy another guitar ...
    F3nd3r96
    I have owned one of these guitars for 4 years. It's the only guitar I ever use, and I perform with it weekly. I cannot say one bad thing about it after all this time. Don't waste your money on an expensive, overpriced guitar. Go for the Modern Player HSS. It sounds great and looks gorgeous.
    Strataggravater
    Ive owned one of these for a couple months now and Ill tell you, its a great guitar. I bought it solely because I thought the silver burst was cool. That's the only reason. Got it for 225$ from Guitar Center. The only two things Ive done to it is adjust the intonation on the high E and this weekend I took a scotchbrite pad to the back of the neck. THAT made a lot of difference. I bought my wife a cheapy AXL for Christmas and the fit and finish on my MP is much better. Who knows. Maybe I got lucky. But mine is great.