Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe

Purchased from: PMT

I play alternative stuff like The Libertines, The Strokes etc and this suits me perfectly. Clearly the combination of single coil pickups and semi hollow body mean that it's not a metal player's guitar but I reckon you could get away with some fairly heavy rock on it. It's not really noisy as I said before, and as I'm using it with a fairly average 100watt Torque amp some noise would be expected. In terms of sound its tone and volume knob configuration make it very versatile, you can get both rich and bright sounds out of it no problem. Obviously a higher end model could get better sounds but for the price you pay this is excellent.

This is a good match for me, obviously not suited to everyone. I've been playing about a year and a half, started off acoustically but I do have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II which is crap, this is, unsurprisingly, so much better. If it were lost I'd buy it again I'd imagine, probably wouldn't be able to afford anything much better! For the price it's out of its league anyway, won't find anything else this good for this price. I did compare it to a Mexican Jazzmaster but this won because of its greater versatility. Would be nice if it had a tremolo or something but hey, can't have everything in life. For the price you pay this is an incredible guitar, but clearly there will be better guitars out there if you pay twice the price for them.

I haven't gigged with this guitar yet but it seems durable and could probably be used without a backup, if you're the careful sort of person who always takes a backup guitar then you would regardless, but this could see you through I would imagine. The hardware seems durable and everything. Probably need strap locks for it just to be sure though. Finish looks like it will last, doesn't look thin or anything.

Everything was exactly how I would want it, no adjustments needed, guitar in perfect condition. Maybe they adjusted it at PMT, they didn't say, but when I got it it was excellent. The bridge is properly rooted, and the top is properly bookmatched, exactly as you would expect from a Fender.

This is a Chinese made Telecaster, part of Fender's new Modern Player range, but don't let the fact that it's not Mexican or American put you off. It's still fantastically built, feels solid and reliable and looks built to last. It is semi hollow, with an 'F' sound hole. The neck is made of maple, feels really smooth and lovely to play. The finish is transparent, a nice grey/brown ish undertone. It's a Thinline Telecaster shape, but it's a bit different as instead of the Standard Telecaster configuration with a 3 way blade selector, master volume and tone and the two renown single coil pick ups at the neck and bridge it has two thicker P90s, (still at the neck and bridge), a tone and volume for each pickup and a 3 way selector switch above above the neck. The pickups are good quality Fender Modern Player pickups, very little noise (and that's maybe because it's a crap amp). Tuners are good quality and as far as I am aware are locking. Unfortunately, the guitar came solely as a guitar, case etc had to be purchased separately so as I'm feeling mean I'll knock one point off for that.

DrewMeyer
    Igamikun wrote: You know I have gotten decent Squier guitars made in china for like $200, but buying a guitar made in china for $350-500 dollars is a joke, because it costs them about $60 in materials, and $3 to pay the slave labor employee. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Well that was the most ignorant comment I have ever read. This guitar is easily worth the price you pay. Just because it is made in China doesn't mean it isn't a quality guitar.
    MT in Austin
    EspTro wrote: im sick of these all 10 and 9 ratings just cause a cheaper guitar surprises you omfg. u would rate a guitar of much higher quality a 9 or 10....not a Chinese fender
    Try it before you judge it on price. It is not that much cheaper than a standard telecaster. I got one of these thinlines in December 2011 in transparent black. Great neck feel, terrific sound, stable tuning. The P-90s have much more crunch than one would expect. I have used it for rehearsal and gigging at least 80+ hours and my opinion has not changed. I has displaced my Amber Sunburst EC1000 as my go to guitar (not an easy task!). Is it a straight 10? Probably not to me but I've never seen a perfect 10 guitar. Ratings are opinions. Features - for a tele, this one is exceptional. Sound - sounds great, the P-90s are excellent, responsive to playing and versatile when the volume is rolled off a bit. Action Fit Finish - came ready to play and I haven't needed any adjustments (very rare). Must have been set up by the store. Reliability - no complaints here at all. Impression - a very good guitar regardless of price. Don't take my work for it, go try one out at your local shop.
    EspTro
    Igamikun
    itzkpanda
    I'm thinking of this, the Standard Ash Tele or the Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele. Any help with my dilemna? lol