Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe

Purchased from: HelloMusic.com

I play mostly blues, blues rock, and rock, as well as some funk and indie. The guitar is definitely versatile enough in this respect, but it's not exactly a hard rock/metal guitar, though with enough gain you can do a lot with it. Pickups sound bright, but full. It doesn't really have the typical thin and tinny Tele sound, but it still maintains a lot of that Tele character.

Overall, a great guitar, especially considering it's MIC and not very expensive. If something happened to it, I would definitely buy it again. The only thing I wish was different about it is the 3-way switch position, it's above the neck by the top strap button, and it a little bit out of the way if you need to quickly switch between pickups. I'd prefer it down by the tone/volume knobs.

Haven't played it live, but everything else seems very solid. Like I said earlier, the finish looks very nice and should definitely hold up over the years. This guitar definitely retains much of the classic Telecaster vibes in the sense that it's a solid, reliable workhorse. I wouldn't be afraid to play it live without a backup.

It might have been set up when I got it, but I don't remember because I almost immediately changed the terrible strings that it came with. I ended up using higher gauge strings on it, and I had to do plenty of action and truss rod adjustments accordingly. I haven't touched the pickup height too much, that seemed pretty good where it was at out of the box. Only real problem, since I don't count crappy strings against it, is that the nut isn't cut very well. It's not much higher than the frets are, which means your action has to rise a bit to keep strings from buzzing and rattling. I don't know if this is a consistent problem or if it was just a manufacturing error.

Bought this guitar in March 2012, made in China, but don't let that fool you. 22 Frets, semi-hollow, etc. The specs are all on Fender's page. The finish seems to be very well done. I've had the guitar for about 3 months now, so I can't gauge wear too well, but it's holding up well to the typical minor scratches etc. The Fender vintage-style tuners, combined with a HardTail bridge, means that it'll stay in tune pretty well through some rough bending and playing. So far, I'm very satisfied in this area. The neck is a nice and thin C-shape, and even with a glossy finish is very easy to move around on. I've measured it to be about 20mm at the 1st fret and 24mm at the 12th. Frets are medium jumbo, I believe, and the fretboard is radiused just enough so bends are easy but it's not too difficult to barre chords. The MP-90 pickups are pretty fantastic, though the pots tend to get a little muddy when you dip below ~3. As far as volume/tone goes, there is a volume and tone knob for each of the two MP-90s, and this gives you plenty of variety in your tone.