Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe

Price paid: C$ 449

Purchased from: Reid Music Ltd.

The Fender Modern Player Thinline Deluxe Telecaster was made in China, although don't let the country it was made in lose your interest. It has a bolt-on neck (common with Fender) with a 25. 5" maple fretboard and 22 medium jumbo frets. The body is a light mahogany with a gloss polyester finish, which appealed to me. There are two tone control knobs, giving options for distinctive sound. There are also two volume knobs, one for the bridge pickup and one for the neck pickups, which are both MP-90 single coils. Similar to the Les Paul, there is a 3-way toggle switch to the top left of the guitar, position one being neck pickup alone, position two being both neck and bridge pickups, and position three being the bridge pickup alone. The bridge isn't the traditional Telecaster style, it's more similar to a Stratocaster's, the string-thru body, which I've been more comfortable with. Also very good vintage-style tuners, and a 3-ply parchment pick guard. No accessories were included, although I already had what I needed from an old Squier Stratocaster set. One thing I'd like to add is that it is very light due to its semi hollow body. Very good, the features are.

I often play punk rock and alternative rock, like Radiohead, Blink-182, Fall Out Boy, and old Paramore. I have to say that it fits these styles very well, although diving into the harder material of Paramore, not so well, although still somewhat suitable for. I play through a Fender Frontman 15G, only reason being because that was what came with my Squier Stratocaster. The sound is great, very appealing to me, although in any position of the 3-way toggle other than position 2, I get a bit of hum, although that doesn't stand out unless you turn on some high distortion. I use a Boss Distortion DS-1 and it sounds great with that nice, dirty yet smooth sound, suitable for music like The Smashing Pumpkins and Blur. If you set it into position one clean, you can get a nice, vintage-ish sound, reminding me of bands such as The Police. I think that it spans across a wide range of genres with great tone, the only I find definitely unsuitable being post-hardcore and heavy metal.

When I bought the guitar, it was set up adequately, I suppose. The strings weren't that great, and the poorly cut nut affects the G string's sound especially, although other than that, it seemed great! Everything on this guitar seems solid and very good for its price of $450, except for the pickup selector. As stated before, position 1 and 3 produce pickup hum, which can be very annoying and clear with high gain or distortion. The neck pickup's volume knob was loose, although it isn't too bad of a problem. Tuning pegs are sturdy and great. It contains a few flaws, but they're easily fixable and nothing to fret about.

I haven't played live with it yet, but judging by it right now, I think it would definitely withstand live playing, definitely. Unlike what others say, yes, the strap buttons are definitely solid. Coming from one who jumps around and spins playing guitar to Fall Out Boy, yeah, I can say the strap buttons are sturdy. I can definitely depend on this guitar, I'd use it on a gig without a backup. The finish seems great when it comes to lasting, it seems amazing. Of course every finish wears off over time, but I think that this finish will actually go for really long, I've only had it for a month but it seems surprisingly good.

Overall, I love this guitar. I play punk rock and alternative rock and it's a great, wonderful match. Jonny Greenwood of alternative rock band Radiohead is the reason I bought a Telecaster, and Tom DeLonge of punk rock band Blink-182 is the reason I purchased a semi-hollow. I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and with the Boss DS-1 distortion pedal it sounds amazing. Still not quite the Telecaster sound, but it's close and amazingly good for its price. If it were to get stolen, lost, or taken in a van and then thrown in a ditch (cough, Rory Gallagher, cough), I would definitely buy it again. I love its features and its ability to stay in tune very well. There's nothing that I really hate about it, although I dislike the poorly cut nut. Compared to an Epiphone or a Squier, it is in one man's opinion more versatile and higher-end. I chose this product because a number of my favourite guitarists use the Telecaster, I love the sound of the hollow body, and the price for this Modern Player was very low for it's amazing quality. One thing I wish it had was a better-cut nut. But still, it's a great guitar. I highly recommend it to beginner and professional players.

lucky1978
    24 hour review: Its definitely a solidly built guitar. Its incredibly light but not the least bit flimsy. Doesn't seem to hold tune too well but that could be cause the strings on it now are far too thin for my heavy hands. I also hate the switch at the top of the body. I can't wait to change the pups for some good p90s. All in all, it feels perfect. And thats whats important to me, I like to dick around with the pups and hardware anyways. Its a beautiful guitar and very comfortable. I'd rate it at a 6 but with 9 potential with a few modifications.