Mustang review by Fender

Fender: Mustang

Purchased from: Schmitt Music

I play a lot of rhythmic, Morello like guitaring. I use very obscure techniques and I love this guitar for all the wierd noises I can conjure. I am a very big fan of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana but do not get this guitar if you are trying to sound like Kurt or want that sort of sound. Kurt Customized the hell out of his Mustang and made it more like a Les Paul than a Fender. If you insist on a Fender to sound like a Nirvana but you don't want to put a ton of money into switching the guitar up, buy a Jaguar HH, you will seem a lot less like a Kurt wannabe. I use a Fender Frontman 15G as my practice amp but my gig/main amp is a Marshall MG100DFX. She can make a very large variety of sounds and tones. The stock pickups are basically the distinct part of the Mustang, they are what really seperate the Mustang from the other Fenders and the other guitars that are out there in general. You do get quite a bit of noise when idle but you get that with any single coil. I use a lot of distortion and play with my feedback alot so I love this guitar, the hum and all. If you absolutly despise the idle noise, this won't be for you, I personally don't mind it at all, in fact I've found ways to use it to my advantage.

I play a lot of funk-ish rock (by this I mean I incorporate timing and muting alot in my music), a lot of grunge, a lot of shred, and a lot of punk, some blues. It does great for almost all of these, not so much blues because it doesn't contain the right tone for that, it's not humbucker enough for blues I guess. I've been playing for 4 years or so and I play lead guitar and vocals in a band, I own 3 1950 Strats, a Studio LP, a home made guitar of my own style, and a Jag-Stang. I adore the gut switches, my favorite part of this guitar. I also love the shape, it feels like a Strat but more comfortable on the bottom and better looking in my opinion. I wish that there was a faster and simpler way to Switch the gut switches consequtivly but I'm developing a tool to help me with this. I compared this guitar to the Vintage Jaguar, The Jag-Stang, and a BC rich. I chose this one because it felt the most comfortable, had the best sound, and looked the best to me. I couldn't help but bring it home. The only thing stopping it from the 10/10 is the gut switching. They are my favorite feature over the pickup selector but make stage work with them tougher.

This guitar is my baby. I feel everything on it will last and it will always be my main guitar, not smashing this one. I already use it but I have had a bad expierence with no back-up with my old Strat so I always have a back-up, I don't think I will ever have to use it though. I highly doubt the finish will ever wear off. The strap buttons are slightly weak but not much to stress over. The Guitar will hold up brilliantly live.

The guitar was set up perfect from factory. Great action, the pups were adjusted great, everything was routed right, nothing wrong with it. No loose tuning pegs, good cut nut, well fit saddle, good pup selector, good controls, etc. All were very done to perfection. The only thing I did not like was that there was a low E buzz from the start, didn't take much effort to fix that though.

1969 Mustang reissue, made in Japan. 22 frets. Dynamic Vibrato bridge. Dual single coil pickups. Volume & tone knobs. Dual phase in/out switches. Vintage tuners, Fender best I can tell. Came with a gig bag and a tremelo bar. Laminated top.