Mustang review by Fender

Fender: Mustang

Purchased from: Haight-Ashbury Music

This guitar is pretty good at my music style. I play punk, rock, alternative, and occasionally jazz or blues. The neck is really small so I can move on it really quickly, which comes in handy for playing eighth notes and even faster. I run it through two amps: an old Squier 15-watt practice amp and a 30-watt Line 6 Spider II practice amp. I can get a good distortion sound out of the Mustang if I tweak it right. However, the single coils are a little limiting. The guitar has a very bright sound. Mine sounds a little too bright so I will fix that sooner or later. If you mess with your amp and those weird pickup switches you can get plenty of sounds. I got a funky RHCP sound and then did a 180 and got a nice distorted sound. It can also do an almost acoustic sound if you play it lightly. Depending on your effects, you can get whatever sound you want. However, I would recommend swapping out the pickups just because you can get a better sound.

This is great match for my style. I have an Epiphone SG as well and some acoustic guitars. The SG handles the heavy sound because of the humbuckers and the Mustang can handle the lighter stuff. I've only been playing for a year and a half, but I spend a lot of time playing and messing around with my instruments. If this guitar was lost or stolen I probably wouldnt buy another one. This isn't because of the guitar, it's more because I don't have much money. If anything I'd buy a MIM Tele or something like that. I compared this to many Fender guitars, such as the Cyclone, Jaguar, Strat, and Tele. The Cyclone was cool, but I didn't want the humbucker and single coil combo. The Jag was too expensive. Everyone plays a Strat. My last resort was a Tele, which I love, but I was drawn to the Mustang. What I like about this guitar is that it has a unique look and it's built pretty well. What I don't like is the scale is a little small and the pickups are weak, even for single coils. If I could make it better I'd put in some better pickups, some strap locks for safety, and some better strings. Overall though, this is a fun little machine. It gets what you want from it.

This guitar will stand up to everything. That finish will not chip. I've only had it a few days and have already banged it several times. Nothing. It's still beautiful. The strap came loose, so I think I will get some strap locks. I think this guitar could hold up to live playing. The stock strings though, not so much. They're brittle and very twangy. Not what I want. If I was in a band and could gig, I would play this without a backup.

The guitar was set up nicely. I just had some minor problems that I tweaked. The high e string would come pop out during heavy playing so I used my pcoket knife to cut a deeper groove for it to fit through. The pickups were put in fine. I probably have the bottom of the barrel of them, but they get the job done. The color wasn't what I had expected, but I still love it. Other than that, everything was fine on the guitar.

This guitar is very interesting. It is a 2005 reissue of the '69 Mustang. It was crafted in Japan, and it seems to be built very well. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard. I'm not sure what woods are used on it, unfortunately. The finish is great. You can't chip it. Beware though: the Vintage white can sometimes come out as a custard yellow color (which is what I have, but it still looks nice). The body is great. It's lightweight, has a unique shape, and it is incredibly comfortable. The bridge is this weird floating vibrato thing. I wouldn't have chosen it, but it isn't a total loss. The Mustang has some very unique controls: two sitches above the strings. It also has your basic two knobs for volume and tone. I've heard those fall off, so keep your super glue handy. One of my two main complaints is that the pickups are weak. I'm planning on swapping those out with some Seymour Duncan Cool Rails. The tuners are your standard non-locking ones. They go out of tune fairly quickly. You need to tune it at least once a day.