Pawn Shop Mustang Special review by Fender

Fender: Pawn Shop Mustang Special

Purchased from: Real Time Music

The coil splitting means that the Mustang can handle pretty much everything I throw at it especially Rock/overdriven stuff like Guns N Roses, Nirvana and Foo Fighters. The bright single coil mode really makes cleans shine, and it adds a lot of bite to the already crunchy overdriven tone. It can even, to my surprise, do metal. I doubt it'd handle the really heavily down tuned stuff, but it can easily chug out some Metallica and Megadeth riffs if you get the amp set up properly. It sounds absolutely amazing through my Peavey Vypyr 30 once I got the settings perfected. My only issue is that, at times, the guitar can sound a little too bright. However, I think this is down to my setup and playing as opposed to the guitar itself.

My overall impressions of this guitar are very very good however. I've only been playing a year and a half, so I still have a lot to learn about playing, and what makes a good guitar. Although at this point in time, I really do love the Mustang. It can do every style of song I want and it feels fantastic to play. It's really easy to play as well because of the size of the thing. I compared this guitar to a Classic Vibe Squier Strat and a MIM Telecaster. They both sounded great, but the pickup verity of the Mustang just made it Shine to me. If it was lost/stolen I'd certainly get it again if I had the money to do so. It's a great, slightly quirky guitar, and I absolutely love it. Apologies if I've not covered absolutely everything. I've never written a review before for guitar, but I felt like putting one up for this guitar as no one else has written one.

I'm pretty much certain this guitar would live up to playing live. It's a Fender and it's built like a tank. If I ever get up to playing a gig, I'd probably take this guitar on its own. I'm not really sure how touch the finish is as I've not had it long enough to give it some real wear. It's survived a few knocks on my desk and things in the time I've had it though, but I don't think it'd take being smashed into a stage.

The 24" scale length put me off at first as the guitar was fitted with 9 gauge strings on in the shop. It was terrible and it felt like I was hitting rubber bands. But with the 11s on, it was like playing a totally different guitar. The action is exactly how I like it, and were no issues with the guitar out of the factory that I know of. My only issue was of course the short scale length in combination with the light strings, so to me, the guitar would've been unplayable out of the box.

The Fender Pawn Shop series of guitars are designed to be something someone would've knocked up in their she'd using parts from various guitars. My Mustang was made sometime in 2011 in Japan. It's got 22 Medium Jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard, 24" scale length, Alder body, 60's "C" Shape bolt-on Maple neck, two Enforcer humbuckers (I'll come back to these later) and a synthetic bone nut. Aside from the short scale length, the main feature of this guitar though is the really awesome coil splitting function. Basically, above both pickups are two small three-way switches. In the rear position, the pickup uses the rear coil. In the forward position, the front coil is user. In the middle, the whole humbucker is used. Both pickups can be mixed with the 3 way toggle switch to allow for 18 different combinations. My particular Mustang is in the spectacular Candy Apple Red finish (The other available finish being Blue). Unlike the original Mustang, this model features a hardtail, string-thru bridge as opposed to the tremolo system. The guitar is also shipped in a Fender Deluxe Gig Bag.

perszzac
    SISO
    IGotIssues wrote: perszzac wrote: Every time I'm in guitar center I play this guitar, its fantastic. I only wish my hands wer smaller because after a while the smaller scale does bother me. Only thing keeping me from buying it is that. is it possible to change the neck?
    The scale is from the nut to the bridge.
    _nilsen_
    This is an awesome guitar! But how do you get 18 combinations? Can't get more than 15...
    Josh100
    I was just wondering whether or not you could change the pickups due to the fact that the circuitry is slightly custom in the way the selecting, coil splitting goes. I am left handed and am a big Nirvana fan. I really don't have enough for the Kurt Cobain Mustang and was looking at this. Does anyone know whether I could Convert this to left handed and change the pickups. I would just put a Duncan JB in the bridge I think. Could someone please respond. I'm not really an expert at all the intonation stuff on guitars. Thanks
    Marnz
    The only way you could convert this guitar to left handed is to basically flip the guitar over, restring it and set it up. In all honesty, your better off saving up for the left Kurt Cobain mustang though!
    SupersoNico
    Which one is better, this one or the Classic Player Jag HH (which also has splittable humbuckers)?
    IGotIssues
    is it possible to change the neck?