Pawn Shop Mustang Special review by Fender

Fender: Pawn Shop Mustang Special

Purchased from: GAK

I really cannot fault this guitar tonal wise. I bought it because I also play a Fender Jag and I was looking for a bit more beef for some songs so I added this to my arsenal and it fits the bill perfectly. I have been playing for 6 years and this is the best guitar I have ever owned/played. I recently played a Kurt Cobain Jaguar with a view to buy it but honestly therer was no point because this Mustang is superior. I play ska, reggae, rock, mellow, funk through my pedal board and a Bugera 333-212 valve and it sounds absolutely top notch. Its not noisy, its not too quite, no squealing or anything its just a joy to play.

This guitar is perfect for me and I can see no reason why every guitarist shouldn't have one of these. It has the great offset body looks, humbuckers with great sounding single coils at the flick of a switch. Also its really light (but not in a cheap way) and it really is a joy to play. Because of the shot scale neck you can get all kinds of nice sounds with bends etc. If mind was stolen or lost I would %100 replace it with another, I have played lots of guitars and I can think of none which I felt better to play. Go out and get yourself one, you won't regret it.

I have played live with my Mustang and it was no problem. I would feel fine using it without a backup but as everyone should no you can't rely %100 on any piece of equipment because you never know. The finish seems lovely and I think its going to age really well. The ONLY problem I can imagine is the 3 way selector feels a bit flimsy to me but I have had it for 6 months and it has yet to go wrong.

It came very well set up, all I did was change the strings to a heavier gauge and made some minor changes to the intonation just for peace of mind but I can honestly say this guitar (as is the case with most Japan made Fenders) is built fantastically. The neck is absolutely superb and plays like butter.

My Mustang was made in Japan in 2011, its got 22 medium jumbo frets with the Strat style bridge and string through body. I got mine in the Lake Placid Blue and it really looks great on stage with the chrome covered enforcer humbuckers. It has a 3 way selector switch and 2 humbucker splitting switches. It came with a pretty nice Fender gig bag but I have given it the hard case it deserves.

brendon.stuart
    I have one of these and I switched out the pickups. In the bridge I put a Duncan JB Trembucker and recently I put in a Curtis Novak pickup in the neck. This guitar is incredible! I also switched out the neck for a Jag Stang one modeled after his favorite Mustang neck. I also wired it different. More like the Kurt Jag. 2 volumes. Top and bottom. (no master) These things are really great to swap parts around and soup up. And they play incredibly solid and well. I'm using 12's. If you have the wiring skills (or guitar guy), seriously sky is the limit!! I don't know if they make these in leftys though....
    rubentijs
    It's a fantastic guitar but I can't help flicking the switch by accident while i'm playing...
    BigSmokeDawg
    Exactly the problem I have I've had the guitar almost a year now and I love it more than when I first got it
    musty15
    Is there anything bad about this guitar truthfully? I've ordered it you see without playing it! I used the mustang modern player as an indicator and that guitar was brilliant but the KC mustang was crap and overpriced!