SE Special / SP-10 Pack review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Fender: SE Special / SP-10 Pack

Purchased from: SamAsh.com

For beginning metallers, it's great with the amp. You can play with distortion a little (using the selector Switch and the volume control). The amp can only do so much, however. It is very limited in options. It is a loud amp. In my room, I can't put it beyond volume 1 (out of 10) or it'll echo throughout the entire house (basement and attic included). With the tremolo bar, it can be fun, but beginners should know that playing with the whammy bar will put your guitar out of tune quickly, so make sure you can tune the guitar on your own first! Also good for blues or rock beginners. For anybody intermediate or higher, it's a good buy if your not picky and you are cheap.

This works for me. I plan to learn blues guitar, and this is a good start. I like to play some metal and classic rock, and it serves my needs. I've been playing guitar for about a year and I've been around guitars (working and dealing with them) for a lot longer. I should have asked SamAsh.com more about the amp, and what it could do. If I lost it, or it broke beyond the waurentee, I would probably look ahead for something better. If it was within waurentee, I'd probably get it again. I would just be more careful about it's facilities; I would take it to a music shop and get it set up etc. All in all, awesome for beginners, as long as it's checked out, ok for cheap intermediate players, and pro's, look for something better.

This guitar will last. The strings it comes with are horrible, but get those replaced, make sure everything is tight and fit, and this thing, in the worst case scenario, will probably last 3-4 years of consistent playing. If you plan to use it in a band, you certainly aren't going to go to shows larger than 50 people with this guitar. But for school talent shows, small garage jamming, practicing in your room, showing off etc., it's good.

When I first got it, I had trouble with the tuning pegs (the guitar quickly went out of tune because they were loose). I didn't know it at the time, so it caused me a lot of distress. It's an easy fix however, just tighten them up and you'll be all set. Not too tight, or you'll ruin the stock! Everything else seemed good to me. I would suggest taking it to get a Set Up (like a guitar's version of a Doctor's check-up to a human) just to make sure it's in good order. The finish is clean and brilliant.

First, let me tell you, it was a guitar package. that's why it was 200 bucks. The whole package came with an SP-10 Squier amp, picks, tuner, cord, a comfortable strap careful, it likes to fall off sometimes! The hole you slide onto the guitar gets bigger quickly and will drop your guitar, and a helpful DVD that helps you get started if you're a beginner, as I was. The Strat has 22 Frets on a Maple neck and Rosewood fingerboard. The neck and frets aren't as comfortable as a Standard Strat, but it fits me alright. It's customizable, with a choice of either Arctic white, Sunburst (with red totoise shell pickguard, or black finish. I would suggest the Sunburst and red tortoise shell finish, it looks great. Careful, you need to string this guitar through the back plate. it's not too hard if you're a beginner and you haven't strung any other way. Just slide the pointy end through the back plate until the knuckle taps against the inside. Then string up as usual. With three single pickups and the SP-10, you can make some loud, heavy, metal noise! Or you can tone it down for a bluesy sound. Careful with the two tone dials, you may want to check them out to make sure they work properly. Otherwise, you can use your volume dial to adjust distortion, and use 5-way selector Switch below the pickups to adjust other types of tone. Also, it comes with a tremolo (whammy) bar for more rock 'n roll entertainment. A nice gigbag with a large pocket, straps to carry it (although they might rip on you after awhile; be careful), Some good Fender picks, A decently working Squier electronic tuner. It comes with a couple allen wrenches for adjustment, but likely your a beginner if you're buying this, so don't bother trying to fix it yet. Take it to a professional (try a music store like Guitar Center).

soupdragon
    guitaringsailor
    ChopSuey19 wrote: Hey man, I was just going by what I had gleaned so far as a player. I've only been playing for a few months or so; I wrote what I thought, not what somebody SHOULD think when they get the guitar. AM I right or wrong for that?
    hell no rock on dude! i'ts quite normal here on ug unfortunatly
    zeroxwx
    i just bought that pack 2 months a go and i am having a good time with that guitar but something that is not right for me is the fact that my guitar have just 21 frets and they are people that have the same guitar with 22 frets... and something that screw me up is the fact that the guitar overall in the manufacture fender is diferent of de squire :/... but i think that is the same guitar or not ? sorry for my english, and sorry for the ignorance i only have 6 moths playing.
    Cartervs
    I recently bought this guitar in a box for my granddaughter.... Had it professionally set up.. Thing played so well, I was blown away. I couldn't imagine how another thousand dollars spent could reap eaqual benifits to cost ratio....
    jimmyjimbo72
    "Perhaps the best feature of this guitar is that overdrive switch. This switch makes almost any Nirvana, Wolfmother, or Led Zeppelin song sound great". Oh boy... LOL!
    guitarfreak222
    ihavenoname93 wrote: jubeikibagami wrote: I just have one comment. Don't buy a guitar that came in a box. Use the guitar in the store first. please listen to this guy. these are for the "mommy mommy can i have a guitar?" people. these things will discourage beginners. TRY A GUITAR BEFORE YOU BUY IT
    ignorance You don't need to get the best guitar in the world for a beginner. The beginner might not play guitar and will give up. The people who are good and are looking for a good guitar that can last should try out the guitar.
    ihavenoname93
    ihavenoname93
    soupdragon wrote: Ok, few things to point out here (concerning ChopSuey19's review): 1.'you can use your volume dial to adjust distortion' No, that's what the amp and tone controls are for. Volume adjusts volume. 2. Why is this review under Fender, surely it should be under Squier? 3. Warranty, not 'waurentee'. 4. Why would you keep this guitar for 4 YEARS without getting something better? And the same for the amp? And surely you don't intend to gig with a 10 watt amp? I think that's it. Overall, your review wasn't that great. But that's just me.
    im pretty sure you can change the distortion with the volume knob. get you're facts straight before you rant.
    koalabacon
    i agree with him.
    jimmyjimbo72
    Why could this version of the starter pack have came out when I got my electric for Christmas in 2006? I got the previous version of the starter pack (SE-100) and I know that the guitar is essentially the same within it's functioning, but I wanted a prettier looking strat as opposed to a boring black and white one!
    ACDClover31
    alright so this guitar is great for beginners like i had wen i was starting out but as u get better yes it looks more and more like shit but its not meant for gigs or to be played though a jcm 800 its a beginner guitar and thats it
    fretsofthebeast
    sounds like a good guitar for beginers its better than those kids who go buy gibsons and sound like shit the moral of my story is dont be a slave to your instrument, pick a guitar of your skill level!!
    buni_rabit
    ive just started playing abt a month ago and i gt this pack and i find it good for a beginer the strap is a bit annoying...i dnt knw much abt gutairs bt i think this guitar is a good deal for a beginer
    guitaringsailor
    Dude that's bullshit, firts of all, as many have pointed out you're wrong: you can change your distorsion with the volume knob on the guitar. Second, it's a rock n' roll forum **** the spelling Third you seem to think you know lot's of shit since you're not very humble but obviusly you don't since you can adjust dist with the volume knobs.
    Godsm4ck wrote: jubeikibagami wrote: I just have one comment. Don't buy a guitar that came in a box. Use the guitar in the store first. not true
    true you never know whats in a box!
    Kanthras
    To the guy above (soupdragon): lowering the volume control on your guitar will lower the amount of distortion. And maybe he doesn't have the money for a better guitar
    Zypher77
    well, technically, my $699 Ibanez RG came direct from manufacturer in a box...
    Godsm4ck
    not true
    ChopSuey19
    You're right, but I didn't have a choice. It was a gift for me and before I could tell him the deal, he went out and got it for me. Regardless, it was a good choice on his part.
    ChopSuey19
    celticus
    dont be so mean soupdragon, its an honest review. and you can use your guitar volume to control distortion
    A Clever Name
    Used one for about 30 mins, and I won't buy one of these for myself because of that experience. It was utter trash, the tone was crappy and the amp sounded flimsy, ick.
    jubeikibagami
    soupdragon
    ^true, but personally i tend to keep my guitars volume at full and adjust volume on the amp, cos i think the guitar sounds better with full volume. peace out from the soupdragon
    zeroxwx
    the guitar overall in the manufacture fender is diferent of the squire manufacture* sorry