SE Special / SP-10 Pack Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: SE Special / SP-10 Pack
Everything you need to get started -- with great tone! Includes a Squier SE Special Guitar, Squier SP-10 guitar amplifier, and more.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 7.3
 6.5
 1,429
reviews (4) 27 comments vote for this gear:
SE Special / SP-10 Pack Reviewed by: Rockin'Thunder, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: It has 22 frets, and the fretboard is rosewood, which I think looks really nice. It has a Strat body style, but I don't know what bridge style. I got a cherry red body that fades to a dark red, which looks amazing. It has one volume control knob and two tone control knobs, along with a five way selector and three pickups. Included in the package was an amp, a gig bag, picks, a tuner, a stand, a cable, and a CD that teaches you the basics of guitar. // 9

Sound: It sounds great for all the music I play (mostly rock), especially with its 10 watt amp that can get extremely loud. It has a very rich sound quality, and basic guitar sounds. I have not used effects with it, but I plan on using the Boss DS-1 which will probably sound awesome. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything about the guitar was great from the minute I opened the package to when I started playing it. The pickups were in great shape and the only flaw was a small unfinished portion on the head of the guitar, which was minuscule. The whammy bar that came with it also screwed right into place and could be used in seconds. That was basically the only thing I had to do other than tune it, before I cold start shredding. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems like everything in the package would last a really long time, and is very durable. I never gig, but I don't think I'd bring a backup anything if I did. It would definitely withstand live playing very well and like I said before it would last. You definitely would not need another amp unless you want an amp with good effects considering the only real effect on the amp is overdrive, which is nice, but could be better. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about three years now, and I think this guitar is a perfect fit for anyone that wants a cheaper guitar that sounds and looks amazing. I only own a few other pieces of equipment but this guitar is definitely my favorite. If I lost it or it got stolen, I would definitely buy it again. Since it is relatively cheap, you could also use this as just a practice or "travel" guitar. I think my favorite feature would have to be how loud the amp can get. Its really powerful for how small and lightweight it is. // 9

SE Special / SP-10 Pack Reviewed by: mboy09, on november 09, 2012

Features: My first guitar was none other than the Fender Squier Strat. This starter pack includes: the SE Special Strat guitar with an agathis body, shell pickguard, tremolo bridge, and a rosewood 21-fret fretboard with Dot inlays; a SP amp with 10 watts: a cord; an overdrive swith that works very well; a nice tuner; 3 picks; an instructional video; a bag; and a strap. // 8

Sound: Perhaps the best feature of this guitar is that overdrive switch. This switch makes almost any Nirvana, Wolfmother, or Led Zeppelin song sound great. The amp provides good loud sound. I mean it's not gonna break the windows but it's plenty good for some one Who wants to play at home moderately quietly. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was great right out of the box. It was easy to geta feel and understanding of how to play and I got better and better each day. The instructional video that's included can teach you some basic chords and power chords, and that helped me get started. The guitar's really only bad feature is it's sound when you play chords. It leaves an obnoxious ring on the lowest string. Other than that the guitar really sounds great and can do hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides moderately well. The by far worst feature on the guitar is one that doesn't concern a whole lot of people and definately not me. that is, the strap. it falls off randomly while playing. In fact, I just took it off and used my guitar hero strap and it worked way better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last you for quite some time. I believe it'll still be good in a year from now making it 2 years old. the finish hasen't even scratched at all and has shown no sign of wear. The strap buttons are good, but Who cares when the strap doesn't work. the cord however did run out fast but they don't cost much. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I give this set an 8. If I were you I would get it this christmas and get your next one once you start rollin' next christmas or the one after. It would make a great gift for anyone new to guitar it's a great guitar for begginers, I would venture to guess it's the best at this low of a price. If you want to play guitar I suggest you get out and buy the SE Special Strat Guitar Starter Pack today. // 8

SE Special / SP-10 Pack Reviewed by: ChopSuey19, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: SamAsh.com

Features: First, let me tell you, it was a guitar package. that's why it was 200 bucks. The whole package came with an SP-10 Squier amp, picks, tuner, cord, a comfortable strap careful, it likes to fall off sometimes! The hole you slide onto the guitar gets bigger quickly and will drop your guitar, and a helpful DVD that helps you get started if you're a beginner, as I was. The Strat has 22 Frets on a Maple neck and Rosewood fingerboard. The neck and frets aren't as comfortable as a Standard Strat, but it fits me alright. It's customizable, with a choice of either Arctic white, Sunburst (with red totoise shell pickguard, or black finish. I would suggest the Sunburst and red tortoise shell finish, it looks great. Careful, you need to string this guitar through the back plate. it's not too hard if you're a beginner and you haven't strung any other way. Just slide the pointy end through the back plate until the knuckle taps against the inside. Then string up as usual. With three single pickups and the SP-10, you can make some loud, heavy, metal noise! Or you can tone it down for a bluesy sound. Careful with the two tone dials, you may want to check them out to make sure they work properly. Otherwise, you can use your volume dial to adjust distortion, and use 5-way selector Switch below the pickups to adjust other types of tone. Also, it comes with a tremolo (whammy) bar for more rock 'n roll entertainment. A nice gigbag with a large pocket, straps to carry it (although they might rip on you after awhile; be careful), Some good Fender picks, A decently working Squier electronic tuner. It comes with a couple allen wrenches for adjustment, but likely your a beginner if you're buying this, so don't bother trying to fix it yet. Take it to a professional (try a music store like Guitar Center). // 6

Sound: For beginning metallers, it's great with the amp. You can play with distortion a little (using the selector Switch and the volume control). The amp can only do so much, however. It is very limited in options. It is a loud amp. In my room, I can't put it beyond volume 1 (out of 10) or it'll echo throughout the entire house (basement and attic included). With the tremolo bar, it can be fun, but beginners should know that playing with the whammy bar will put your guitar out of tune quickly, so make sure you can tune the guitar on your own first! Also good for blues or rock beginners. For anybody intermediate or higher, it's a good buy if your not picky and you are cheap. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it, I had trouble with the tuning pegs (the guitar quickly went out of tune because they were loose). I didn't know it at the time, so it caused me a lot of distress. It's an easy fix however, just tighten them up and you'll be all set. Not too tight, or you'll ruin the stock! Everything else seemed good to me. I would suggest taking it to get a Set Up (like a guitar's version of a Doctor's check-up to a human) just to make sure it's in good order. The finish is clean and brilliant. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last. The strings it comes with are horrible, but get those replaced, make sure everything is tight and fit, and this thing, in the worst case scenario, will probably last 3-4 years of consistent playing. If you plan to use it in a band, you certainly aren't going to go to shows larger than 50 people with this guitar. But for school talent shows, small garage jamming, practicing in your room, showing off etc., it's good. // 7

Overall Impression: This works for me. I plan to learn blues guitar, and this is a good start. I like to play some metal and classic rock, and it serves my needs. I've been playing guitar for about a year and I've been around guitars (working and dealing with them) for a lot longer. I should have asked SamAsh.com more about the amp, and what it could do. If I lost it, or it broke beyond the waurentee, I would probably look ahead for something better. If it was within waurentee, I'd probably get it again. I would just be more careful about it's facilities; I would take it to a music shop and get it set up etc. All in all, awesome for beginners, as long as it's checked out, ok for cheap intermediate players, and pro's, look for something better. // 7

SE Special / SP-10 Pack Reviewed by: luddeludde, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 190

Features: This was my first electric guitar. The guitar was made in China. It features a rosewood fretboard with 21 frets, the body is made of agathis and the neck is maple. Ive got the black one. Its got the two tone knobs and one volume knob, the 5-way selector switch. I dont know the name of the pickups, they are factory pickups. It also has a tremolo bar. The guitar looks great especially the shell pickguard. The amp is a Squier 10 w, with volume, treble and bass knobs, two channels: clean and overdrive and also a headphone output. The amp is decent for beginners but as your playing improves you would maybe want to buy a better one. I also got a cable, electronic tuner, guitar stand, gig bag, guitar strap, some picks and a instructional dvd. All these accessories are not very good but enough for beginners. // 9

Sound: I play all sorts of styles and i think that this guitar has pretty good sound for a guitar this cheap. It sounds better with my Roland Micro Cube than with the amp included in the package. The two tone knobs are not making almost any difference to the sound and some of the pickups are a little noisy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar did not have good action when i first played on it but thats pretty easy to adjust because the pack included a wrench both for the bridge and the saddle/nut. The pickups were also a little low but i adjusted that too. Besides of that this guitar is well made. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I dont gig, i am more of a bedroom rocker :D but i think it would do well if i did gig. The finish seems great, ive had this guitar for more than half a year now and there are almost no flaws at all, i play on it almost every day. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a very good guitar for beginners and suits me great although the amp and the rest of the accessories werent as good. The guitar can be not so well set up but i think its individual from guitar to guitar. It looks great and has good reliability and a good choice if you really want the Fender name. A good overall guitar // 9

Comments