Showmaster FMT HH review by Fender

Fender: Showmaster FMT HH

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Local Store

This is where this guitar wins. Big time! Play blues? This is awesome though not as good as an American strat. Hard-rock? Awesome but not the best. And this goes on and on for every other type of music you can think of. That's the best about this guitar and that's why I bought it. I didn't know what I would be playing most at the time since I was refining my tastes and this would pretty much cover it all. It still does. I used to own a Randall RX75R and it was great for Sabbath and Maiden tones. I'm getting a Laney VC15 now since I play mostly alt rock and I'll update the review in the comments section then. Bottom line is, if you need versatility, quality and reliability this is your pick. And trust me, for the price, they don't tend to come in threes.

This seems like a perfect match for my style of music and I love it for it. I've been playing for 3 years and tried a boatload of guitars. The only one I found better than this was the American Strat (50's reissue I think) but those are opinions. If this was stolen I'd cry because it's hard to find one of these today. As I've pointed out they were a special edition. I'll give the overall a 10 despite the rest because I love this guitar so much. If I just play it and forget about the rest, it's definitely a 10.

It has played live, I've bumped it on walls and doors and it's solid. Has a couple of small dents but nothing big. I trust it a lot especially after I got strap locks in, just in case. It does tend to get out of tune easily after a couple or day of so playing but I guess that's normal. I would totally gig it without a backup, I have done so and will continue to.

I had the guitar set-up at the store for free since it'd been there for so long so I can't help with factory settings but I found the action and pick-ups to be just perfect. Everything worked fine for a year when my jack cables got unsoldered but nothing that I couldn't fix easily.

This guitar was made in 2005. I got it in 2008 but it was lying in the store for a long time. 24 four frets, basswood body (and a heavy one at that) with a beautiful ash top. It has two knobs, volume and tone, and a 5-way pick-up selector. The pick-ups are two Seymour Duncan humbuckers (can't precise the model). This is a really great guitar. Very well built. I was worried at first because this was Korean built but I loved the sound so much I had to buy it. Turns out these guitars were a special edition so they are really sturdy and well built.

crazysam23_Atax
    btbamaddict wrote: woah, a fender thats not a piece of shit. interesting.
    I resent that, sir. I got a Stagemaster myself, and like the reviewer's guitar -- it's also pure gold!
    reaverman
    btbamaddict wrote: yes fenders are shit. you can get a much better quality guitar from gibson or prs then you could from fender for the same amount of money. but this particular model looks pretty good
    Yes PRS, and Gibson do good guitars!! But so do Fender, and TBH Gibsons tend to cost more than Fenders
    Solarstar101
    showmaster's are ****ing amazing from what ive heard would be nice if they started making them again
    Heilz
    You sir should go jump in a pit, drown, revive, die again, rinse and repeat the last 3 for eternity! You have no shame no no...
    paquiquinho
    You're nuts man! Fender all the way IMO. Best guitar you can get if you're into blues and such. This is my oppinion though. And the guitar has coil tap, forgot to mention it. And front page UG. Woohooh. Never thought that would happen when I wrote this.
    NickGiovanni
    teo_huat wrote: they have one of these model where the headstock were telecaster headstock, which have coil tap option, but that one was made in indonesia, still its a decent one. Can this guitar do coil tap?
    Any guitar with humbuckers can be coil tapped if you know what you're doing or have a professional do it for you
    MR.Shamanistica
    600 pound for a basswood body? no thanks
    A lot of high quality guitars are made from basswood, it's a nice versatile wood, lightweight and more of 'the jack of all trades' For example I used to own a musicman bongo 6 HS, which is made from basswood, retails for around 1.6k and is possibly if not the best bass and most well made i have ever played. Basswood isn't a bad wood, it's just how it's used.
    espplayer400
    DukeFame wrote: 600 pound for a basswood body? no thanks
    Most Ibanez RG's are basswood. Just because its basswood doesnt mean its bad. Its lightweight and isnt dark or bright, its actually great for trying out different pickups in because of that. Sure its not as expensive as alder or mahagony, but it doesnt mean its bad.
    KingHenrik1967
    a DJ tiesto advert... on UG... kill me now please. guitar looks pretty sweet i think, with the trem and bookmarked body so kudos to youu sir
    Seref
    Yeah, showmasters are fairly old. Made to combat ibanez and its ilk. I think there's a squier version, too.
    pete-c
    EpiExplorer wrote: I'm similarly startled. But still, Fender do super strat? Might be stepping up their game a bit.
    They've been doing these since the late 90s, I believe, nothing too new.
    EpiExplorer
    IYanoplathizoI wrote: btbamaddict : woah, a fender thats not a piece of shit. interesting. LOL!... Whut?
    teo_huat