Showmaster QMT HH review by Fender

Fender: Showmaster QMT HH

To begin, this guitar really impressed me, which is ultimately why I bought it. I play through a Line 6 Flextone III, which, as you well know, is loaded with features thereby allowing me touch on virtually any style of music. The sound is generally rich and full. On any particular model that I choose, the guitar sounds great. The bridge pickup is nice, crisp, and clear when on a clean channel, and can go from mild to wild in the distortion department. The neck pickup also does a very good job on clean and distorted channels too. From Johnny Cash to BB King to Led Zeppelin to Nirvana, this guitar can handle it if you have the right amp. The guitar would also be very well suited for all you metal fanatics out there which, thank God, I am not.

I play lots of classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc), grunge alternative (Silverchair, Nirvana, etc), bluesand the occassional country tune. The guitar suits my needs perfectly. Paired up with a good amp this thing will rock. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be thourghly pissed, I love that guitar. Despite playing a Jackson guitar, several Ibanez guitars, and a few Dean and Shecter guitars I chose this one. Why? Because I liked the way it played and sounded better than any of the rest. Despite an annoying input jack problem which was easily cured, this guitar is nothing less then truly amazing to play.

Now that I have cured the self-loosening input jack, this guitar will surely last a lifetime with regular maintanence. The chromed hardware will surely last with no avail also. The strap buttons are very reliable I use a $5.00 nylon strap and haven't ever had a problem. I would and have gigged with this guitar without a backup, but then again, I take good care of my gear too. The finish will surely last, even without a pickguard, the guitar has very few scratched despite heavy playing.

The finish is virtually flawless. It truly is a beautiful instrument. The guitar hardly required tuning, and I didn't buy the one that was on display either. That's right, it was nearly in tune right out of the box. The setup was good, although I did raise the action up a bit to cure a bit of a buzz. The pickup selector can have a noticable click to it if you don't time your switching right. My main problem out of this guitar was the input jack coming loose. Yeah, I know, it's a common problem, but they could start putting Loc-tight on the jacks at the factories (which is how I fixed the problem).

The Showmaster was first introduced in Jan. of 2005. The 24 jumbo fret neck, which is made of Maple and has a rosewood fingerboard, measures 25.5" long. The neck also features a modern "C" shape and abalone dot inlays. The Strat-like body is made of basswood and features a carved quilt maple top. The bridge features a 2-point synchronized tremolo. The QMT HH features 1 Seymour Duncan '59 Reverse Polarity Humbucker in the bridge position and 1 Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus Humbucker in the neck position. The guitar also features a 5 way pickup selector, one volume and one tone knob which, like all of the hardware, is finished in smoked chrome. The tuners are cast/sealed locking tuner machines.