Squier Affinity Strat review by Fender

Fender: Squier Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Ebay

The guitar I have was made in China and I don't care what anyone says the particular guitar that I have is worthy of the Fender name. I have been playing for years but am on a tight budget and took a chance on this guitar and am glad I did. It sounds good and has no noise with a good cable, and even though I'll probobly Switch pickups eventually I'm in no rush, the sound is fine. It stays in tune well also. The only problem one may have is if they play metal or use a lot of distortion. I haven't looked to see if you can fit a humbucker in this guitar but if you can you would probobly need to if you use a lot of distortion, needless to say, but the action is good with power cords.

I am well pleased with this guitar and am not a beguinner. You can spend much more on a lesser guitar. I'm sure I'll get a better one eventually but their is simply nothing wrong with this one. I had been worried over some of the reviews (while waiting on it to arrive)that I had read and all Squires may not be this quality and it is always best to try one before you buy it, but over all this particular guitar is worthy of the Fender name. Their is nothing about it that can't be fixed or upgraded. I would probobobly get better pickups and I have READ that some of the nobs and ect aren't relaiable in the long term but all that can be replaced if there is ever any problem. A+! One thing I didn't do was to compare Squire reviews with where they are made, at least this one, being made in China is quality.

I wouldn't think anything against using this guitar live, it's not a ventage Less Pal but it didn't cost a $grand$ either and there is simply nothing wrong with this guitar. I would be pleased with it if I had payed over a couple hundred for it, and I've been playing for years but always on a tight budget.

The action is great, easy and smooth. I had a Korean Strat before this that played well but was wore out. I actually tryed a couple of Squires in a store and one had good action and the other didn't at all but as far as my particular guitar, it's all I could hope for in terms of action. It has Jumbo frets that play smooth and there is no problems with the neck at all, and I'm well pleased with the action. It didn't have a wammy bar but without a Floyd Rose locking system any wammy is going to knock the strings out anyway.

I'm not sure about the year but the one I have was made in China. 21 jumbo frets-(great action). All maple. Another good thing about this guitar is that it is loud compared to some electrics while unplugged. I have paid a couple hundred or more for lesser guitars.

samuraimusaki
    Ravenix wrote: Because they're all the features I need, and they all work well. I mean if you look at the Squier Hello Kitty model its only got a volume control :/
    DON'T RIP ON THAT GUITAR. Dave Navarro has one and he can make it squeal.
    Amuro Jay
    The_lizard_king
    The Squiers are much better than the first act electric guitars.
    foster.getagrip
    I think that the review is decent. People hate it for 2 reasons- it's not Fender, and it's cheap. I think that for $150 dollars, this is gonna be the best guitar you can buy.
    OtherGuy
    I picked up a second hand one of these for 60, and it is well worth it, i use it so much, and aged 15, i couldnt argue for a better savers guitar at that price, fantastic little guitar!
    Kingnichendrix
    jetwash69
    Kingnichendrix wrote: people complaining about number of frets, at best of times people like Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana to name a few rarely use those high notes, what makes any of you think you can pull off more than they can even if you had 30 frets?
    Nick, if the song you want to play uses those higher notes, then you need more frets. For example, you won't be able to play every note from lots of Metallica songs on the Squier. That's why I have 1 Affinity Squier (21 frets) 1 MIA Strat (22 frets) and 3 shred guitars w/24 frets. What are you going to do trying to play the song that needs more frets on a guitar without them? ...Tell the audience, "well, it's silent here but imagine what it would sound like if I had the same # of frets as the original artist did..." BTW Clapton played a lot of songs with Gibson guitars like his SGs which had 22 frets. And Santana's 25th Anniversary PRS guitar has 24.
    adj209
    MarkoakaNiggaK wrote: Dude only a DBZ guitar ,a Jackson and a Ibanez JEM deserve a 10....everything other is 9 or lower...and for this id say a good 7....
    I dont know where to start, honestly.
    BleuObis
    Okay I just thought I should make a stand for whats real and true to me. My first guitar was/is a Squire Affinity Strat and IMO is a phenomenal instrument especially for beginners. Yes obviously it has its flaws the pickgaurd, pickups and wiring are all very flimsy but even with such flaws the sounds afforded to me by this guitar are rich and varied sure I replaced the pickups, pickgaurd and rewired it myself but it also gave me the knowledge to do so and helped me to understand guitars better. In only the six years Ive been playing, Ive had the privilege to play many high quality instruments such as a 1960 Les Paul, Early Jackson RR1, ESP Kirk Hammett Signature ect. all of which are Top Quality and in reality as a comparison are far superior to the Squire strat but at such an affordable price AND AS A COMPARISON TO GUITARS THAT COST ABOUT THE SAME this guitar is rich in tone and quality I mean have you ever played a cheap LP jr. out of a starter pack now that is a piece of junk it feels and sounds cheap and a humbucker that hums??? :/ by far fender makes a quality starting guitar its affordable modifiable and I can honestly say mine stacks up to any MiM strat now that being said all guitars are not the same different pieces of wood(including same types of wood) have different tonal qualities its all about finding the right sound for the right price and not letting anyone influence Your opinion about what sounds good. And really at the end of the day there are several things that influence your sound especially your amp choice most solid state amps are poor quality and don't give you the true sound of a guitar. so consider avoiding these and yes even cheap guitars can really shine for instance my squire sounds crystal on my best friends Peavy JSX (half stack) where his MiM sounds muddy and buzzes alot I also have a Schecter Tempest Custom which is a beautiful guitar but the stock "Duncan Designed" pickups were HORRIFYING and are laughable even compared to a squire strat which cost me literally like 400 dollar less albeit when replaced with real Duncans sounds like a dream so seriously if you want something worthwhile that is durable and entirely customizable for cheap you cant go wrong with this guitar it just gets the job done and P.S. a good guitarist can replicate a song note for note a great guitarist will make it sound better than the original don't believe me Just ask Jimmy Page who hardly ever played anything the same way twice hell even Hammett when writing improvised solos, kept what he liked and cut out what he didn't like
    seemeel
    Holy crap, play a proper Gibson or USA strat, or a Rickenbacker or something... Jeremy clarkson can review cars because he's driven the very, very best cars in the world. You kids can't review guitars until you've picked up a $10,000 guitar and realised how woefully shit squiers are by comparison.
    theking4everr
    I own one of these babies..Got it as my first electric guitar almost 5years back and although i own an ESP LTD now and im love with that too..I really miss playing my fender..it has a very nice warm bluesy tone.(i study abroad and im only carrying my ESP)anyway,going back and changing the p/ups according to Andy Timmons specs ibanez..cant wait to light this baby up with those pickups!Beautiful guitar and very inexpensive!
    oldeskoolmann
    i read something recently that said;the brand wars are crazy.i suppose if i paid top dollar for a MIA STRAT,then played my buddies affinity strat WHOA!you see folks that play the squier line GET IT.we know the quality of the squier,we get it.
    oldeskoolmann
    and STILL the fender SNOBS.this affinity strat with no mods,other than strings and straplocks.AGAIN,the "IT'S NOT A FENDER.this strat of mine is every BIT a FENDER.it's as much a fender as MIM,MIA,ETC:sorry to BREAK IT TO YOU,YOU FENDER SNOBS,the same fender that made your MIA,is the SAME FENDER that made my SQUIER AFFINITY SERIES STRAT.i hope this little comment does'nt RUIN any MIA,MIM STRAT OWNERS.
    KJKINFLAMES
    This is a load of crap... No squire strat is a 9.0 guitar.... That's just bad reviewing... Even for an entry level guitar this thing blows... Other then its comfort level I hate everything about this guitar... Everything on it sucks and half the adjusters dont do justice... Compared to an Epi - SG Special or the Epi - Les Paul Special this thing is just brutal.. There is just no quality in the guitar itself... Some people live by this guitar and say that its such a godly entry level, but in reality its junk and definitely not a 9... my opinion for all newbs out there is to go try something worth your while.. especially if your going to be taking guitar seriously... the last thing you want to do is spend 150$ on this junk and realize that you enjoy guitar and want to continue and have to buy another guitar.... i say buy a 300$ guitar (at least) if you end up not playing it, sell it for 150$ to someone else and continue with life
    INSULIN
    AUGUST 2012 GUITAR WORLD GIVES A GOLD AWARD TO -STERLING BY NUSIC MAN SILO3-LIST PRICE 284 .SO IT WOULD BE LESS THAN THAT AT A STORE .
    kevinpaul
    I can see the reason for the high marks. They are giving a review of a Squier, not the guitar world. Just one low price guirar that is not that bad. I had the head fall off my Les Paul, The finish crack all over my Ibanez. I have four guitars. I play the $340.00 Tele Squier the most. It is a good guitar.
    Raptor195
    Ok, FOR THE PRICE, Squier is much better than other guitars in the same price range, yes, you cannot compare it to a high end guitar but at its range it deserves nothing but 9s and 10s; also, if youre a kid and this is your first guitar, I dont think your parents are going to buy you a Gibson custom guitar unless youre ****ing rich.
    Horsedick.MPEG
    The_lizard_king wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: Tokki Wartooth wrote: I LOLed at the ratings. It's obvious none of the critics haven't played anything better. Or they're taking price into account, which nobody else seems to do. A $150 guitar will never compare to a $1,500 guitar, but it is possible that when reviewers give 8s and 9s they're rating the guitars relatively to other guitars in the $150 price range. But your hypothesis seems more logical. The Squiers are much better than the first act electric guitars.
    You haven't seen their custom shop. Try playing guitars from the custom shop, then come back to me and say that Squires > First Act.
    K33nbl4d3
    Why does it say 22 frets? All standard Squier Affinity Strats have 21, like the Fender.
    vikonja121
    dude you can get a squier to sound good with a good amp and some better pickups. and with the frets shit,there's a lot of squiers you can buy for cheap prices with 22-23 frets.AND most Metallica songs don't need more than 22 frets(for example in the Fade To Black solo,Hammett bends the high e string on the 22nd fret 8 times in a row),except for the runs on the whole neck where he plays a run with notes on all of the frets,and those depend on how many frets you actually have,since if he has a guitar with 24 frets he'll play 24th and below,if he has 22 he'll play the 22nd and below,since runs on the neck aren't something you learn note by note,you just play the highest fret and go below.But most solos don't use more than 22 frets,and a lot of squiers and most guitars have 22(even 23)frets.
    stilt37
    HAH... yeah you aren't biased AT ALL
    wendee27
    because you all think that price equals score which is wrong! not because it's cheap, doesnt mean it's bad.. you are only bothered that the price is really cheap.. you cant admit that it sounds really great!you don't have the ears. you're a poser.
    izzeeeh
    How do you rate a guitar for 150 $ 9 when that's what les pauls and high end ibanez guitars for 2-3000 $ are getting?
    jetwash69
    BleuObis wrote.S. a good guitarist can replicate a song note for note a great guitarist will make it sound better than the original don't believe me Just ask Jimmy Page who hardly ever played anything the same way twice hell even Hammett when writing improvised solos, kept what he liked and cut out what he didn't like childofbodem wrote: You don't need a Floyd Rose, 24 frets or amazing pickups to sound good. If you sound like shit playing a Squier, you'll sound like shit playing anything at all.
    2 things: 1. Brendon Small plays 22 fret guitars, but lots of time he'll fret on the neck pickup when he's going for the high note, and he doesn't use a whammy bar, but he does use a Digitech Whammy pedal. Short of fretting on your pups (don't recommend vibrato for that), you need the extra frets to get the pitch they give you. Sure you can play it different, but why limit yourself by not having the capability--unless your genre never uses it. 2. If you have the standard trem, then you won't have near the range you get out of a Floyd Rose, or the tuning stability. You won't be able to make the strings go slack, or even drop down more than a couple of steps. You won't be able to make it go much higher than a step or so by pulling up on the bar, either. So unless you're going to do this:
    , then you need to a Floyd Rose. The point is with a Floyd Rose, you don't have to be as good as Frank Hannon to get that sound. And you don't have to risk screwing up your truss rod, warping the neck, or breaking off the headstock. Set up right, you can get pretty good stability w/a regular Fender trem, but with a Floyd Rose set up right, you can play for months without having to tune.
    childofbodem
    Think of EVH's Frankenstrat, the one he used on the first album. 1 Volume knob 1 Humbucker Fender trem 21 Frets And most people consider eruption to be the greatest guitar piece in existance. Also keep in mind EVH used the cheapest parts he could find. I have played Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, Ibanez, Schecter, you name it, and my POS Strat copy that I swapped the 3 single coils out of and put the humbucker from an Epi Les Paul both feels and sounds better. It's just a matter of opinion and the way they're set up. Surely a Squier would have better quality than an unbranded POS I bought out of the back of a car for $20? You don't need a Floyd Rose, 24 frets or amazing pickups to sound good. Ifyou sound like shit playing a Squier, you'll sound like shit playing anything at all.
    Ravenix
    jetwash69
    Kingnichendrix wrote: Yes but do they often use them, my point is why does the number of frets past 20 mean anything doesnt make the guitar sound any better?
    That's not what makes the guitar itself sound better--but you'll find a lot of songs you can't play without them sounding like crap when you need the other frets, even if's only 4 notes out of 10,000. When you need them, you need them. What makes the guitar sound crappy is the poor factory setup (a reputable guitar tech had to shim the neck on mine to get rid of fret buzz), the fact that it's made from so many pieces of low-grade alder, and the lame pickups (I replaced mine with Seymore Duncans). BTW, the hardware is cheap, too. When mine wouldn't hold tune anymore I found out 2 of the tuning pegs had cracked--replaced them with locking Schallers; now it plays just as well as my MIA Strat, but sounds better for most stuff I play, due to the aggressive humbuckers. The old single coils were just a little brighter than the real Fender's when I played on solid state amps--you have to play through a strong tube amp to really appreciate the difference.
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    Kingnichendrix
    vdub191
    The issue with the Squiers is not with the quality; it's with the quality control. I've played some terrible Squiers, but the one that I modded heavily, and play every day, plays better than a Gibson SG my friend bought. Blanket statements about certain brands or types of guitars are invalid. You've just gotta play a guitar before you buy it.
    Jadena
    I hope to God none of people behind these reviews end up as something important. Bias much? Lawl.
    Wiintruder
    Squier makes decent and are among the most moded ones but stock are nowhere near those values. Why do u give it 10 on features if it has pretty much standard features for a strat?
    TheAristocrat
    I'm sorry, but the Squier is not even close to these ratings. I would rate only the very best Gibsons's, ESP's, Jackson's et al 9's. The Squier has rubbish pick-ups, poor shielding, poor quality hardware and wiring, a poor tremolo system. The craftmanship is poor. It's your standard entry level guitar only. Features: 8 Sound: 5 Action: 8 Reliability: 6 Impression: 4 There you have it. Thats an assesment from someone who's owned them for over a decade, and played high end guitars.
    Ravenix
    Whooooops, I meant 21 frets XD. I can't get back in to edit it though
    Alexostrat
    heh i suped mine up with some humbuckers on the bridge and neck. mmm lovely tone
    Vaaltam
    Ravenix, if you play alot of Metallica then you should've gotten a ESP guitar. I have a LTD F-50 and a Schecter Omen 6 Extreme and use both to play Metallica really well.
    mity88
    Ive had my '03 model squier for about 2 years, it was my first electric and i wouldnt trade it for anything!
    oldeskoolmann
    SEEMEEL,i wanted to let you know,i'm no kid.your DADDY was probably a KID,while i served in vietnam.and for the rest of you;the affinity squier is a good guitar.i'm thinking some of you must have bought a MIA,then played a squier,i'd be UPSET TOO.