Squier Affinity Strat review by Fender

Fender: Squier Affinity Strat

Price paid: A$ 319

Purchased from: Guitar Factory Penrith

This guitar sounds surprisingly good, I was ver surprised with the pickups, especially comparing them to the pickups in my Australian made guitar, made by a local luther. These P/Us are great and very reasonable for the price paid. They are quiet with some hum, but not much. No scream like other 2dollar pickups. The guitar has a rich bluesy sound and has a country twang in Bridge position. The tone nobs actually work! No issues, they don't scratch.

I play mostly blues, to Hard blues, some hendrix and a little bit of every thing. This guitar is great for me because it is thin, and is not as fragile as my Gibson SG, yet still has the thin body which I love about it.

I have been playing for about 5 years, I have a Gibson SG, a Cole Clark Culprit (TELE), Custom Luther made guitar, a Marshall 50watt valve state Fender frontman, Fender supersonic stack, and a few pedals.

I brought this guitar as something to modify, and to play in places where it is not a good idea to bring/use a very expensive nitro lacquered guitar that is very, very easy to scratch, dent or damage the instrument.

If it was lost, or stolen of-course I would buy another one they are so freaking cheap and great value for money. I was going to buy a Mexican Fender but I did not like the feel of it, I love the feel of this guitar.

The only things I hate are the small things, like having to replace all the hardware with better more cosmetically attractive hardware instead of the cheap and nasty stuff that comes stock.

I would compare this guitar to a mexican Standard stratocaster. The only thing I wish it had was a heavy block rather than the narrow one it has now because it wont be easy getting a massive solid block to fit in the thin body.

This guitar like all decent guitars, if looked after and serviced regularly will last live playing. Most of the hardware will need changing because on the cheaper guitars the money you save is on the hardware, for example cheap pickups, tuners, bridge, strings, string trees, and buttons, can be the difference of about $200-400 dollars depending on brand and country of origin.

After this guitar is modded I feel this guitar will be dependable. The finish is amazing, and comparing it to a Mexican Stratocaster I actually found it to be equal if not better.

The guitar came directly from the Fender factory in CN to the guitar shop. I was going to buy a floor model to modify, but it had a few scratches and chips around the neck pocket. so the guys ordered one in for me and gave me an $80 discount for my trouble, the also set up the action, intonation, and height of the pickups.

The finish is perfect. There are no floors, and even birds eyes in the neck. There is no fret buzz from the frets and the neck is silky smooth. So to conclude everything is perfect.

2011, Chinese strat. 21 Vintage frets, thin neck c profile. solid alder body... thin like the SG. Maple neck with thin maple fretboard. Metalic Red gloss finish with satin neck, gold Squier logo with black "By FENDER". Bridge small block with solid chrome saddles, through body strings, trelomo. 3x passive single coil pickups, with single ply white pickguard ("57" 8 screw configuration). Non locking generic machine heads, chrome. Accessories, cardboard box, trelomo arm, allen keys 1 for truss rod and one for height of action. Basically a Standard stratocaster.