Squier Affinity Strat review by Fender

Fender: Squier Affinity Strat

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

I have no CURRENT style, but with the stuff I've tested out, it sounds nice. I picked up a Roland Cube 20XL as my amp, and together, they sound great! With the 5 different pickup combinations, and all the stuff on the amp, I'm happy. The acoustic simulator sounds great, the OD, and metal modes sound amazing. The EQ really changes it, and I've been able so far to get the following sounds: Classic, country, rock, metal, heavy metal etc. I hear NO fret buzz whatsoever. The sound on the JC clean channel is nice too.

As I said, I want to play rock and heavy rock, and possibly some jazz and blues, and it seems like the guitar can do the job. I have been practicing for about 2-3 months, but mostly on an acoustic. I'd go to my best friend's house and end up practicing with her dad on his guitar. I have no current problems. If it were stolen and I had cash, I'd probably go for it, as it wasn't so expensive. I compared it to a Les Paul Standard 100 (Epiphone), an Ibanez GIA (I think) and a local brand called Godin. This was, I think the lightest, the action is the best, and it was the cheapest. It also had the most pickups. I was debating ultimately between this, and the Epiphone. I also have a padded bag, with many compartments, my Beatles strap, headphones not to piss everybody off, my Roland Cube 20XL and some picks! I am quite happy.

I have no judgement about the live playing, but I'd use at as it feels nice to me. As I said, I'm still a beginner, so for now, I can't judge TOO much. The buttons are holding fine with my beautiful leather Beatles strap, but I have read reviews that they aren't great, so it worries me. I think the finish wears off, but I'm planning to clean it soon.

The action is quite small, which is nice for a beginner. Pickups: 2 Single-Coil Pickups (Neck/Mid), 1 Humbucking Pickup (Bridge). I see no flaws. I showed my first and new guitar off to quite a few people and the comment overall is that it seems good wood was used, and the neck is amazing, as the truss rod is fine. Only problem I have (my possible OCD) is that the pick-guard has a few scratches and it's less than a week old, but I use it often, so it may be my fault. The guitar was all set up on purchase.

I'm not sure what year it was made in, but I know it was made in China. (These days, most things are, but it's fine!) I am a beginner, so this is my opinion. The features, I copied from the site: - Body: Alder - Neck: Maple, C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish) - Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5" Radius (241 mm) - No. Of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo - Pickups: 2 Single-Coil Pickups (Neck/Mid), 1 Humbucking Pickup (Bridge) - Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup) - Machine Heads: Standard Die-Cast Tuners - Hardware: Chrome - Pickguard: 1-Ply White (06), - Unique Features: Large Headstock 60s Style Headstock, - Strings: Fender Super 250L, (.009 to.042) Nickel Plated Steel, P/N 073-0250-003 It came with nothing but 10 picks (courtesy of the store), some adjustment tools, and the whammy bar which I can't seem to put on.

mitchfit
    damn, didn't any of you kid's mamas teach you to play nice? my guitar usefulness ratings start with ease of playing, and end with sound quality. if i like those, then it's a good guitar. really don't care which ones you like, and you shouldn't care which i do either. but i will not slam dunk your choices because they don't mesh with mine!! if you feel you need a 3 octave scale on your axe, get you some. make it sing pretty enough to get famous, and others will follow suit. just to be like you. it does get that weird. i think my aztec gold chinese squire "strat" is a cool axe. i love the high freq tele-twang the bridge PU makes out of a clean setting through a good tube amp(s). i play it as much as my gibsocaster (S1 moodel and my standard strat which do other tricks better than the squire. but i like the treble sounds from the squire better. that's right, it is the sound of the "cheap" non brand name PUPs that i like most. i haven't noticed any sense of inferiority in how it plays compared to my '81 explorer E2, but it does feel much different in build. i think it plays much better that a '64 jaguar that i sold some 40 years ago due to same. you tube some old yardbirds videos of jimmy page playing a danelectro. back in the day, these were available through high end boutique dealers like montgomery wards. it is also said that led zep 1 was recorded close miking a supro amp, yEt another CHEAP, POS, INFERIOR PRODUCT that james patrick saw the beauty of. don't worry what the posers say, buy an axe that fits well in ~your~ mix and play it pretty. mitchfit
    Harleymunn
    I've been playing guitar for over 25 years. I have owned les pauls and an American strat and own about 8 guitars currently ranging from Ibanez, PRS, B.C.Rich and recently purchased a very beautiful colbolt blue squier affintity strat at a yard sale for $60. I think this guitar is awesome! I see no need in spending a ton of money on "high end" guitars unless it is specifically build for me by hand and is lined with gold hardware and still I wouldn't pay for that because I will just build it myself because I can.