Squier Strat review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 3.4 Poor
Fender: Squier Strat

Price paid: C$ 80

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

I usually play metal music. I had to buy an amp separate from this guitar and if you play around with it, you can get a decent distorted sound. If you are playing metal, then this guitar is not a good choice because it does not have humbucker pickups which give you a warmer sound. Since this guitar has single coils, it sounds very weak when you are playing metal. It also has a lot of noise which can be cancelled out by using the toggle Switch pickup selector. Also, as another reviewer as said, you have to tune it at least 3 or 4 times before the guitar will stay in tune.

In conclusion to this review, if you've been playing for over one year or more, then it time to say good-bye to the cheap quality and upgrade to something actually worth your money. I'm going to be getting a really good quality metal guitar very soon. I tried selling this guitar to the local music store, but they couldn't take it. And I'm not surprised. I guess it will have to go back to the pawn shop or I will hang it up on my wall as a memento.

Since this guitar is used, it would not be reliable for playing live. The strap buttons are very loose and they need to be re-screwed if you are planning on standing up a lot. If I ever did play live, I would use a better quality guitar and have a backup as well.

The previous owner obviously didn't care at all about taking care of it. The tuning pegs and the output jack are both loose. There are also very noticeable scratches on the finish. The action is not too high and not too low, but it still causes the frets to buzz. I've had this guitar set-up in the past, but the buzzing unfortunately has come back. The owner obviously didn't care about not throwing the guitar around. This guitar has taken a lot of obvious abuse from careless owners in the past, but it has survived and it still plays what you want.

First off, since I bought this guitar used, I don't know what year it was made in. It has 21 frets and it is black/white. It also has three single coils and a whammy bar. I bought the bag, strap, cable, etc all separate. It's an average guitar. Basically you're going to get what you pay for.