Standard Fat Strat review by Fender

Fender: Standard Fat Strat

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

This is a very versatile guitar. You can pretty much do any type of music with it seeing how it has a humbucker and a floyd rose. It all matters on how you set the amp really. The humbucker allows for classic rock, heavy metal, thrash metal(Sepultura anyone), and other types of rock. The single coils on a clean setting have the classic Fender tone with less noise which is good for jazz and blues. The humbucker along with the floyd rose can make a EVH type sound given the amp. In short it really has a bright but resonant sound with the humbucker, and a classic Fender tone with the single coils.

I wanted to buy a sturdy Floyd Rose guitar, and this was the best one at the time for me. I've been playing about 4 years and I own a lot of other gear (14+ guitars). Even though I have a lot of guitars, I keep coming back to this one because it sounds great, feels great, and is fun to play with the floyd. I'd be pissed if I lost it or got it stolen because I got this guitar on my 21st birthday. I'd buy another one though. I like everything about this guitar. I was thinking of getting a Jackson or ESP of some sort at the time, but seeing how I like strats, it was the guitar for me. Buy this guitar if you like floyd rose's and strats.

I've had it since October 2006 and I haven't had any problems with it. It's a very sturdy guitar. I replaced the strap buttons with Dunlop straplocks to begin with so that was never a problem. I think it would withstand Live playing, but I'd always bring a backup. The only thing that'll definitely wear out overtime is the floyd, but any guitar with a floyd will wear out and need repairs overtime.

The only problem I had was the springs weren't very strong and I couldn't get it tuned. So I spent $6 on new and better springs, and it fixed the problem. Other than that it was set up very well. The body had a few scratches on it too, but they're not very noticeable and it gives it character.

I'm gonna say it was made in 2006 because it has the 60th anniversary badge on the back of the headstock in Mexico. It has 21 medium-jumbo frets on a light rosewood fretboard. The neck is a c shape maple which is thin and fast. it's also smooth and unfinished. The body is solid alder with a midnight wine finish. The main feature that sets it apart from other factory Fender strats is that it has a Floyd Rose tremolo system instead of the usual Vintage tremolo. The electronics are the same as a regular fat Strat which has the HSS configuration and a 5 way selector. The pickups are 2 ceramic single coils and a hot humbucker from Fender. The tuners are locking and made by Fender. It also included a Standard Fender gigbag and some allen wrenches to tune the floyd.