Standard Stratocaster review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Fender: Standard Stratocaster

Purchased from: Chris Bryant Music

I can do most things that I want to do with this guitar, as I mainly play heavy metal with the gain channel on. However, the clean tone is pretty awful, so on the occasions when I want to play clean I usually unplug the guitar and play like that rather than listen to the clean tone. I use a Fender amp, so you'd think it would work well with this guitar, but it doesn't. The guitar does have a fairly good variety of sounds, but that doesn't save it from the useless clean tones.

If this guitar was stolen or lost (how the hell do you lose a guitar anyway) I'd buy another Strat, but make it a Fender this time, the extra cash is worth it to avoid the hassle, and the burnt fingers that come from having to resolder various wires almost every week.

Fortunately my band's not progressed to live shows yet, so I've not been forced to use this guitar live. Hopefully I'll have a new guitar by the time we start gigging, as I do not trust this one at all. The wires under the lead jack have been fixed professionally twice now, but still come lose at the first sign of movement when playing. The strap buttons are unreliable and have a tendency to suddenly spring out, and since the tuners don't lock the guitar goes out of tune very, very easily, epsecially when using the tremolo bar.

The saddles were ridiculously tight when I bought the guitar, though it was second-hand, so that may not have been the fault of the factory. Also, as I mentioned earlier, there was no tremolo, though that again may have been the fault of the previous owner.

Year: The guitar's one of the old Korean made Squiers, and I can't find anyway of dating Korean Squiers/Fenders. Frets: 21. Body Style: Traditional Strat. Bridge: STandard string thru body Strat bridge, with a place for a tremolo bar, but no bar. Controls: Master Volume, Neck Pickup Tone, Middle Pickup tone, 5-way Switching. Pickup configuration: SSS (Three songle coils). The guitar's body and neck are both fairly durable (I know this for certain, as I threw it across my room on one occasion). However, the finish has cracked around the ears (which I here is pretty common for Fenders), and the top strap pin has pulled out redpeatedly, so I had to use superglue in order to re-affix it to the body.