Standard Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Stratocaster

Purchased from: Ben Jacks Music, Bentonville AR

The guitar suits my style very well. I play blues, jazz, classic rock, chords, anyhtning you can think of. It even does ok with reggae. I have an Ibanez amp (I have no idea why) and I can't afford any affects. The only thing I think would be great for it is a Wah pedal, but every guitar needs a wah. It is a little bit noisy, but that may be my amp. The distortion is great. For blues I would suggest turning the bass up all the way and seeting it on the last position on the selector Switch. This guitar can do just about anything. If you carefully place the selector Switch between 2 settings and do bends and stuff liek that, it wails!

I love this guitar and I would suggest buying any Fender products. They have been around a long time and are very trustworthy. The only thing I wish it had was more frets. I would also like to challenge Fender to make a guitar with a built in Wah. I would also like to offer to be a test pilot for it.

This guitar will withstand live playing, with the exception of good strings and if you have the tendancy to slam your guitar into things on stage (like I sometimes yearn to do). The hardware seems like it will last and the strap buttons are solid. I would depend on it. I would not use it on a gig without a backup, but thats because I break strings when I play sometimes and in case I do get the urge to smash the guitar to bits in a fit of extasy.

It is easy take apart, easy maintenance, and it doesnt have any plaws. Except I kinda cracked the pickguard. But that was my bad! Oh, and the plastic they put over the pickguard to protect it before it is sold is a bitch to get off. There is still some under my volume control.

I bought the guitar in July, 2004, so I haven't had much time with it, only a few months. 21 frets, it could use some more though. I have the white top as pictured, and Its holding up fine. The body is grooved to fit the ribs and not dig into them while playing standing up, unlike the Telecaster. It has the 3 main pickup selector Switch and in between each is a mixed sounding selection. I'm not sure about the tuners, I don't know how to tell if they are locking or not. I got a gig bag and cable with the guitar. I also got some Fender picks. Warning: do not but light picks. They sound funny and break very easily.