Standard Stratocaster review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Fender: Standard Stratocaster

Purchased from: BJ's

It does not really suit my music style. I play metal and Metallica, AC/DC, Led, sabbath, etc. and this guitar is not good at all with distortion so I can't really use it for stuff other than like, current alternative (Green Day, Fall Out Boy, hawk nelson, kinda Switchfoot, etc). I'm just using it with the amp that it came with now, but I used my neighbors distortion universal control that has almost every distortion control out there, and it sounded like crap. It is mondo noisy with any bit of reverb or gain, the most annoying buzz you will ever hear in your life. It can kinda do pinch harmonics, bends are fine unless you do huge one, and the string breaks, everything is kinda good in that area.

Mot a good match for the style of music I play. I have been playing for almost 10 months now and I just own the other gear that the thing came with. I didn't buy this, my cheapo parents bought it from BJ's for Christmas for $117! But I wished they had asked, "is this going to actually make our son feel like we love him? is this a crappy guitar? is this actually a real guitar?" etc. If it was stolen or lost I would buy something else, I would buy an Ibanez RG370DXGP or a B.C. Rich Beast it, or a Gibson SG. The only thing I love is that the thing, other than the strap butons, is almost indestructable. I hate it that the strap buttons break, cause now I can't get it with a strap until I get my Ibanez, and I have to do some Live playing this summer, but I can't use it now. I compared this to almost every other good-ish guitar on the planet, and once again, I didn't choose this, my cheap parents got it. I wish it had better strap buttons, pickups, and a better looking body shape, this is definately not the guitar for me.

This guitar wouldn't withstand Live playing unless it was for 5 minutes. The hardware doesnt't and isnt lasting! Like I said before, the strap buttons come off and never go back on because the screw-hole was made in a bad way and now the wooden screw-like hole is now "sanded" and is round and smooth instead of spiral-ey. I wouldn't really use in a gig and especially without a backup. The finish does not wear off here.

The guitar was not set up in the factory very well. The pickups are adjusted a bit bad cause the sound is on the down side. Top is fine, bridge is fine. The hugest problem aabout this thing is that, I've had this guitar for 6 months and the hole where the screw goes in for theknob where you hook your strap is now a round circle and whenever I stand up and use the strap the whole strap button comes off! Then when I try to put the screw back in, I wont stay in!

My guitar is made in Taiwan and it has 21 frets with I think jumbo frets. The finish is black with a white pickguard, and obviously it has a Strat style. There are 2 tone control and 1 volume and a switch that changes the distortion a bit. They are Standard and not so good pickups. The tuners are non-locking. The guitar was paid at $70 if you subtract all the other stuff paid for (it included a case, cable, 2 picks, tuner, amp, book, stand, strap).