Standard Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Stratocaster

My music style revolves around 60s and 70s rock and funk, and then more current Indie, funk and rock bands. My favourite bands being Babyshambles and Rage Against The Machine. The guitar itself is very versatile and even though it has singe coil pick ups, it can be played in all styles and I find it fits my style well with correct tweaking on the EQ. I use a Vox AD 30, DigiTech Whammy pedal and Boss compression sustainer CS-3. I find that because of the single coil pickups there is some hum however this is barelly noticable when playing. It has a very bright sound and when I write my own music I try and make my own sound very jangly and then fill it on solos by changing the pickups on the selector. There is a lot variety in the sounds I can make, further pushed by the whammy pedal, and I find that the only sound that cannot be truly reached is metal, but this is also attributed to the tube nature of the amp.

Iv said what type of music I like before and I find that this guitar is definately a good match. I have been playing for about five years now and have a Gibson SG and a Vox les paul. I find that I play the Strat the most because I can easily get a nice refreshing sound and tone from it. Not to say the other guitars don't but they offer a heavier sound which I use more for Rage Against The Machine and Led zeppelin. If it were stolen I would have to save quite a lot to get one from the same time period and would be livid because of sentimental value. But I would definately buy one be it a more recent build.

I would definately use this Live without back up and can always rely on it. I think the guitar could last at least another twenty years, but the pickups may need to be changed if any problems occur. I think that it has proven to have a good finish as it has had almost thirty years of playing and is still near perfect.

Because I recieved this guitar from a family member Who passed away, it was already set up correctly and was all correctly routed. Because it is a Fender there were no flaws with the guitar itself, however there were some scratches on the top, but that was most likely due to the previous owner.

The year it was made is not entirely known to me, but I believe it is in the early '80s. It was made in Japan. It has 21 thin frets and the neck is made from maple and the body Ash. It has a well finished red paint job, and a Floyd Rose bridge. It has 3 single coil pickups, although I am not sure of the make. It has a classic 5-way selector and non locking tuners.