Standard Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Stratocaster

Purchased from: Reidys, Blackburn

I play all sorts of music, but my favourites are reggae, ska, punk, rock and blues; this guitar handles them all with no problem at all. The Bridge pickup really shines when distorted, and even clean it sounds great. That said, the sound I adore the most is from the neck pickup. I'm using it through a Behringer X V-AMP, a cheap multi FX unit, and yet it sounds incredible. With the aforementioned pickup I can get nice mellow tones which really ring through the pedal. The middle pickup also gives a sound which I love for playing grunge; the possibilities are endless. The guitar itself is not noisy at all, but the pedal sometimes is. In general, the tone is just incredible.

Best purchase I've ever made! As I've already said I play all sorts of styles (in terms of artists, think Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, John Mayer etc.) and this is the best match for all of them. I have been playing for 5 years and own a Squier Strat, which is nowhere near as good as this, 2 acoustics (a Yamaha and Epiphone), a Behringer X V-AMP and various stompboxes. I did also own an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. If it was stolen I would bawl like a baby/knock out the guy who took it and buy a new one. I love the playability and tone, and hate nothing about it! I hope you don't think I'm being nave but I can't find anything to hate! I also tried the slightly cheaper Mexican Standard Strats (e.g. the ones in Arctic White, Lake Placid Blue etc.) which played nicely, but for some reason were heavier; I was expecting to pay a bit more just for the colour, and yet mine is lighter and plays better! I also played some lovely telecasters, but at the end of the day the tone was not for me. When I die, I want to be buried with it!

I doubt that this guitar wouldn't be able to withstand live playing; the hardware seems very durable. Concerning the strap buttons, I actually have some strap locks which are still attached to its Squier sibling; since the buttons on the Fender are big enough, I haven't been bothered to swap them! I'll do so if I'm going to play live just for added security. I'm sure the finish will last; if it did on my Squier that I've had for 4.5 years then I'm sure it will last on my Fender.

The out-of-the-box set-up was actually very good; the action was low and felt so wonderful to play. The intonation was a bit off, but I fixed that easily thanks to the well-constructed bridge. The pickups gave an even output overall so I felt no need to adjust them. The only other issue was that the tuning pegs were quite loose, but again this was easily resolved.

My Stratocaster is Mexican-made and was built in 2010. It has a medium maple neck with 21 medium-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The body is made of alder and has a sunburst finish. The Bridge is a vintage-style synchronised tremolo; personally I don't use tremolo but nevertheless it feels nice to use. Controls consist of a volume knob, 2 tone knobs and a 5-way selector Switch to choose between 3 Fender-standard single coil pickups. The tuners are Fender Standard sealed tuning machines; very effective. I was given a Fender gig bag and the shop threw in a strap and some Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings.