Standard Stratocaster HSS review by Fender

Fender: Standard Stratocaster HSS

I play anything from classic rock to blues to grunge to hair metal, but its pretty rare that I play any type of metal without the prefix "hair" or "glam". I am playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 2 12 and straight into the amp this guitar sounds . The single coils on this guitar are honestly not too noisy at all, and the humbucker is just absolutely orgasmic. It really beefs up the Strat. For heavier distortions I use this guitar through a big muff. They fit hand in hand perfectly. Then when I really wanna get different, I throw in the wah, which sounds awesome... Duh. The guitar is bright, which is a nice change over the Les Paul I played for a while. The humbucker in the bridge is still plenty twangy when played clean.

This guitar is pretty damn close to perfect for everything I've ever wanted. The versatility of this guitar allows you to play and sound great with so many different styles. If it were stolen, no I would not buy another one. Well, instantly. It takes me a while to save up money to buy these things. And before you think I'm some jobless hobo, no, I'm 14. Lol. My favorite feature is by far the humbucker, but isn't that the reason you buy this one anyways? If I could wish for one thing this guitar had, it would be a case. So it never gets beaten up.

I haven't really "tested" it yet. But this guitar seems pretty durable, so long as your not carless with it, I think it will last a while. One of strap buttons is pretty loose, but I've been meaning to get around and fix that. I would say yes to using it at a gig without a backup, but I would have said that about my Les Paul too. And I tried, and the tuning machine snapped off right before we played... sad face. So no, never again will I play with a backup. The finish seems pretty thin, but I don't know. Isn't that a good thing though? I like having my "own" guitar. With "my" wear markings on it.

The action is a little higher than waht I'm used to, and yes, I would like to lower, but I have absolutely no clue how I would ever go about that. The pickups are at seemingly the perfect height to me. Everything sounds wonderful. The finish was done wonderfully on this thing. Exactly how it looked online. No complaints.

I bought a 2008 (? I believe, the product dating on the Fender website isn't really up to date) Mexican made Standard HSS Strat. 21 medium jumbo frets. I got the maple neck with a brown sunburst. It's absolutely gorgeous Passive electronics. 2 Standard single coils. Came with a free gig bag. 5 way selector switch which allows sooo many different tones. blah this is all stuff you can read on Fender's website. The big highlight here in the humbucker that's been placed ever so graciously by Fender in the bridge position. For a stock, it's actually a very good sounding pickup. It dramatically increases the versatility of the guitar.