Standard Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Telecaster

Purchased from: Local Guitar Store

It could suit almost any music style. I use it with my Vox 15w Pathfinder w/ reverb and I havent found a song I cant play with it. It has a soft mellow sound on the neck pickup and a sharp treble sound on the single coil, which is great for most rock songs. Setting it inbetween the pickups gives a rich and full sound. You can reach those screeching notes on solos easily. Cant find anything I dont like.

I play rock/alternative and it fits me well. It has lived up to my expectations.

This guitar will withstand live playing, and it will last. The finish is thick and with all the bumps ive given it, there hasn't been a scratch yet. I would use this on a gig without a backup.

No Flaws, everything was set up perfectly, except the knobs were a little loose, but I got that fixed.

Made in Mexico. Dont let this fool you, it's still the same old Telecaster you've always loved. It just costs less than shipping in from Japan. 21 frets Traditional Telecaster poplar body Maple neck and fretboard Die-cast machine heads Standard Tele pickups (Single Coil on bridge, Tele pickup on neck) 3-position blade controls Master volume, master tone 3-ply white pickguard Standard Tele bridge with 6 saddles String-thru body Fender Tuners It has all the features you need. Stays in tune. Not top of the line features, but they work well and are reliable.

Robert_Terry
    Orjan Fredheim, norweigen for "rent boy"
    samisabig1
    Robert_Terry : Fredheim wrote: Mexican Tele? Give me a break. The real deal is the Standard American Telecaster Sunburst .Thats what i got, and i must say i am very satisfied. It costs $1850 here in Norway, but what the heck, im 17 and can afford like 6 more of them. rjan Fredheim Orjan Fredheim, norweigen for "rent boy" Robert_Terry, poorlanguage for: "I'm poor and cant afford a cheap guitar, however I love to write alot of bullshit in guitar-forums."
    i think ur on ur own mate
    pe_666
    Robert_Terry wrote: Fredheim wrote: Mexican Tele? Give me a break. The real deal is the Standard American Telecaster Sunburst .Thats what i got, and i must say i am very satisfied. It costs $1850 here in Norway, but what the heck, im 17 and can afford like 6 more of them. rjan Fredheim Orjan Fredheim, norweigen for "rent boy"
    haha nice one
    selloutpunx
    i own one of these. it was alright. but i swapped out the single coils and had a bunch of mods done to it. can't really review it now.
    flying jello
    I've one more thing to add: Rich people like to show off their money. Rich people with class are very discreet about the matter.
    Fredheim
    rv_phoenix
    The Telecaster is arguably the most outrageously underrated great guitar on Earth. Its "twang" is unmistakable and the Standard keeps close to the original Tele specs of the '50s. Its only downsize are the tuning keys: if you gig frequently, they have to be replaced by something better (Gotohs, Schallers, Wilkinsons: somthing like this, if you want to stick to the genuine look of a Tele). But its sound and playability are just fantastic!
    swest94
    AznInvazn666 wrote: Telecasters suck.
    Then why are you here? Those windows won't lick themselves.
    Arlabester
    teles equal the shit. strats are cooler though. i get a black std tele in a week!
    arjAG
    Get some seymour duncan Alnico II pros ( APTR-1 & APTL-1 ) in there, and your sorted
    xvasmx
    ...Its a deal to get the mex ones. Same parts, same wood shipped to Mexico, assembled in Mexico and painted in mexico. American ones usualy cost more cause of the labor -_-; Plus your rather blind if you buy an American Tele JUST cause it SAYS its made in the U.S. you still have to try both and compare. Just because its made in the U.S. doesn't mean its amazing, also because it costs more DOESN'T necessarily mean it is better.
    milwaukeerocker
    Yeah, i agree with you guys saying there isn't much difference between Mexi-made and US-made. Again, like others, i've played some nice and not so nice US-makes, and i don't mind saying i own a mexican made, it's more affordable and i wasn't making much money at the time. Have had mine for 9 years, love it. Black body, maple neck, i put a black pickguard on it, so it's black on black, and dude, it looks the sex. I replaced the stock pickups with an American tele delta-tone neck pickup (noticed really no change with this pickup unfortunately), and a seymour duncan hot rail tele bridge pickup. The variety of sound i can get with the new pickups, 3 way switch and knobs is just really incredible--- from ballsy crunchy evil sounds with the humbucker hot rail, and gorgeous tele cleans with the neck, middle switch position is a great right in between sound, obviously i can't say enough about this guitar. And yeah, it's quite lame and not very rock n' roll to be bragging about the half a dozen or so teles you could buy, we're all real impressed Mr. Norway.
    Parkesie959
    I love the look of these, they sound awesome but the only thing that does put me off (and not by much) is that it only has 21 frets, I'd prefer at least 22 on my guitars.
    skateordie24f
    Is that because your mum's a *****, or your dad's a rent boy?
    slypoonce
    i've had a thinline, a mexican standard, and the nashville model. surprisingly.. the nashville is my favorite. i don't even play country.. but the 5 pickup selections allow for so many different sounds. i'm just a fender guy regardless. with any tele, it's just pure tone tone tone. LOVE that guitar
    JamieIsHere
    All the people who say "This is just as good as an American Standard and the only difference is the sticker on the headstock ect ect" are right unfortunatly. Generally, people who say this sort of thing are just a little sore because they couldn't afford the full-fat American Telecaster. But infact, I've played a mexican telecaster and two Americans, and the mexican absolutely killed one of the americans and was pretty much equal with the other. Which is a little odd. Why would fender basically undercut their own prices? I had a lot to say didn't I?
    morganite14
    rayq78 wrote: a tele w/ a humbucker? thats crazy!!
    Seymour Duncan makes single coils for strats and for any guitars really. I want the ashbody standard but I dont know how much different it is than the reg standard
    Wolfsblood138
    AznInvazn666 wrote: Telecasters suck.
    Itz not bu00talz orf me lolz I would really like to try one out; very bright tone that seems good for country or accompanying an acoustic for leads. And I've seen some good metal videos where the tele can really sound great.
    COBHC_inurface
    about to replace pups on it though to play my metal on it, any suggestions? i was thinking either hot rails or dimarzio super distortion, for those who want an idea of sound i want
    COBHC_inurface
    finally got mine a week ago! omg i was blown away, its a sunburst with alder body...talk about tone...i love metal and heavy shai hulud and august burns red, but for a single coil minimalistic axe, it surprised me, i love it and when im sittin at home noodlin around or out in pubic, tele goes with me, not ibanez ic300 with emgs...not ltd ec-400at...fender mim tele standard, it plays so good, its a '09 model an i got it before fender jacked up their prices so its '09 style with '08 price ^o^ ownage! take that fender corporation!!! leo fenders gone anyway...started up g&l guitars, which rule btw ftw, love the tele, its my fave clean and even overdriven, not heavy metal, but can handle underoath and some post hardcore stuff
    Clutch32192
    flying jello wrote: Lots of people at my school don't like the tele. They say it's either the LP or the superstrat. But they're all shred heads or punk. I love the tele. I wish Stevie Ray Vaughn was still alive.
    yeah, uum stevie ray vaughn played a strat, but yeah, people today who think dragonforce and such are the greatest guitar players need a lesson taught to them by the true greats RIP SRV, Hendrix,...
    lespaul4eveR
    I'm having a hard time choosing between the standard HSS strat and this... love um both, guess i gotta go try them both~
    Bling Dogg
    dalcyon wrote: This is probably a dumb question, but how do you know where the guitar is made?
    If you can get your hands on the guitar, in person, there's a sticker on the headstock that will say.
    dalcyon
    This is probably a dumb question, but how do you know where the guitar is made?
    Coldmystery
    I gotta say the diff. between mexican or american... its all BS. Just go to the store, play them and whichever plays best wins. I have played some americans that played like poop. HOWEVER a big plus for owning an american is the collectors or resale value. Mexicans just dont hold up as well for re-sale..... TYPICALLY. I have an mexi standard and i think it plays great but im probably never selling it.
    SanTropez
    I've had one of these in arctic white for about 18 months now (2007 model- before 09 upgrade). These guitars blow anything in this price range out of the water for sure, especially korean/chinese epi's which a lot of people seem to buy. 22 frets would be nicer but eh. These guitars are underpriced and while i agree the american series is better (from the ones i've played, anyway) the american series is also overpriced and overrated.
    Duv
    I used to own one of these. All I can say is that it's a fantastic guitar for the money. Especially what I got mine for back in 2007.
    barden1069
    I love my standard. I just routed out another pickup cavity and made it into a Nashville Tele. My only gripe is that I'd like 22 frets and also larger frets, but those are just minor preferences.
    myownenemy
    gitaarsjaak wrote: Why does a Tele Esquire have that switching thing while it only has 1 pickup and no other single coils or humbuckers?
    It might work as a killswitch.
    AznInvazn666
    No you shut the f*ck up. They suck and why don't you just get a Stratocaster? Although those suck too.
    Fredheim
    Mitchy_Ramone : Spoiled bitch^ POSTED: 03/17/2006 - 07:41 pm / quote
    Fact is, that I've got a job, that kind of pays off, you know. The only thing my parents buy for me is food, and clothes once a year, so please...
    RICKY BLACK
    You can put Dimarzio Humbucker P/Ups in the style of a single...thus dropping straight in to your Tele without any mods to your guitar body. They come with four wires, allowing you to split them into a single P/Up sound. I use a FAST TRACK 2 at the Bridge, and a FAST TRACK 1 at the Neck.....excellent sounds. Try them out. Ricky Black.
    motor2000
    Great guitar which does a bit of everything. I love puttng it on it feels great and looks good. I was expecting a weak sound from the pick ups but through my Boss MT-2 and my Marshall it sounds awesome. When I use it on my Roland V-Studio 20 it does BUZZ a bit but if I move a couple of meters away its fine. I will buy another one sometime. US built next time maybe, Jim Root.
    RealStealGuitar
    i bought myself a mexi tele a couple months ago, and ive loved it! id recommend it to everyone. it WILL handle anything you could want. i go from country to old rock to modern alternative very easily. the only thing i complain about is i sometimes loose the "beef" of the sound playing heavier songs. power chords and such might be better suited on a different guitar.
    delsur18
    Im so looking forward to get this guitar, fell in love with its look and feel at my local Long and Mcquade, Can't wait to own one of these, especially in blue! P.S. Where its made doesn't matter, its how it sounds and feels which really counts!
    guitarhoarder
    Neck on this telecaster is extremely comfortable, good for string bending and soloing. Open chords sound a little too twangy, abrasive for my taste but single notes, soloing sounds good. Sounds great with distortion too; nice lively, fiery, full sound. I have the sunburst with white pickguard: classic, beautiful. There's something to be said for simplicity, the telecaster being one of the original solidbody guitars, no frills. People have stressed to me that you should really try out all the Mexican teles you can as the quality can differ vastly between two Mexican teles. Try them out and get a good one. I have compared my Mexican teles to Squier teles and some other fender teles and this one sounds much better. A Seymour Duncan pickup in the bridge might not be a bad idea....
    imacoolkid613
    I love this guitar to death, i wanna get one soon. however i was wondering if ishould replace the bridge saddles to some compensated brass barrel saddles. Any thoughts on this compared to the modern saddles?
    si_13
    skateordie24f wrote: Fredheim wrote: Mexican Tele? Give me a break. The real deal is the Standard American Telecaster Sunburst .Thats what i got, and i must say i am very satisfied. It costs $1850 here in Norway, but what the heck, im 17 and can afford like 6 more of them. rjan Fredheim Is that because your mum's a *****, or your dad's a rent boy?
    Think the rent boy jokes been done already buddy...
    gitaarsjaak
    MaggaraMarine
    Esquire has a switch to switch between different tone settings. First position is tone knob at full, second position is manual tone control and third position is tone knob at min.
    Spud Spudly
    So the latest review posted March 2011 says the Strat is way better than the Tele, but gives the Tele a 9.3 overall. So what's the Strat then if it's way better, a 17.4?
    noisewall11
    rayq78 wrote: a tele w/ a humbucker? thats crazy!!
    haha, what was there no tele's in existance with humbuckers back in 2007?? lol, haven't you ever seen a tele deluxe?? there are these newer versions of teles with humbuckers too
    live4ever2008
    lesbian_men : must say that im not a fan of the strat or the tele all that much...gibson LP or SG's win hands down IMO...however, fender make gorgeous acoustics and would never consider any other make...
    Of course a 1000+ guitar is going to be better than a 280 one, all you could afford with 280 would be an Epiphone copy, which I'm sure this pisses over in terms of quality and sound.
    mets50504
    Eight grand for a mexican tele?? one guy mustve got his prices messed up. otherwise, he got scammed
    masticore
    this was my first guitar. pretty good... since then, i acquired a 72 thinline RI, a tele custom, a john 5 signature and a jim root signature. the only guitar i've owned in my life.
    barden1069
    I love my standard to death, but I wish it had bigger frets and a flatter radius. I know that can be solved by buying a new neck, but I'm poor