Standard Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Telecaster

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I play everything from RHCP's to power solo's. Standard pickups are ok but they do hum quite badly when using heavy distortion. Its got the classic tele sound, brige is twanging and dry, neck pup is smooth and soft. Stock it can play most types of music with easy, except hard rock and metal. I changed the pickups to a Lace sensor in the neck and a hotrail in the bridge. Now its the most verstile guitar I own. Only cost me 100 to upgrade it. USA Tele has nothing on the sound of my Tele and I didn't spend near a grand on it either.

For my style, mainly rock, funk and ocasional metal its perfect. Couldnt wish for a better guitar. The med/small frets dont make this guitar a great beginners guitar but once in the flow its a awesom guitar. Its been my main guitar for 3 years and its served me very well. The frets will need tapped in the next year as they wear down rather fast but its not a big job (I play daily). If you decided to order one over the net make sure you get a free pack of strings with it as the ones on it may be rusty and need replacing. If this guitar was stolen id be very very peeved and would go on a Quest to find it. I adore this guitar. Its simplicity is its strong point, no stupid unnessary gadgets that just cause problems. Its rather heavy but you get used to it and plus its the reason for its great sustain. Fave feature has to be its great looks.

I've been playing this guitar for near three years and its seen it all. Live playing, this guitars exellent, no problems what so ever. No tremolo means if a string snaps when its being played live the guitar dosent lose it tuning. So far I've had no problems with the strap buttons. Only problems I find with the tele are the volume and tone pot knobs fall off shortly after reciving the guitar. Its easily sorted with the supplies alan key. I've dropped this guitar, bashed it off walls by mistake and loads of other stupid mistakes and its got no dents at all. I think its because of the 3 tone sunburst and the masses of varnish. Its like a tank, only 4 hairline scratches to complain about and the usual pick scratches from extreme strumming. I dont think the finish will flake away for another ten years at least. Exellent live guitar.

When I recived the guitar, apart from rusty strings it was pretty much perfect. Intonation needed a little work but no guitars perfect. The pickups were quite low into the body and needed to be raised slightly, this is what I suspect causes the bad hum. It's easily corrected by lowering them again but some of the classic tele twang is lost. Yeah the saddles suck, most of the strings snap points are at the part where the saddle ends and the string begins. I still have the stock saddles on mine and they're fine if the guitars stringed properly.

I'm reviewing my 2002 Mexican Telecaster. 21 med/small frets, 3 tone sunburst, laminated maple neck, maple body. 2 pups, 3-way selector. 1 volume pot and 1 tone pot. It's simple and easy. Non of this fancy crap that just causes problems.