Standard Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Telecaster

Purchased from: Sound Control - Bristol

This is an incredibally versitle guitar. It suits my very broad, and sometimes random, styles of music. I can play anything from children of Bodom to some good ol' fashioned johnny Cash on here. It is particularly good for modern rock like Nickelback, Alter Bridge and Fall out Boy. I am currently using a Vox valvetronix amp with it and running it through a distortion channel on the FX unit. it has a very pleasant bright sound on a clean channel with that indeering and signiture Telecaster twang that you would excpect. It can make all sorts of sounds, from really bassy blues and a good chrunching shredd solo with some pinch harmonics. The single coil pickups deffinatly do not hold you back.

This guitar is a perfect match for my primary style of playing, pop punk and emo. Its great. I have been playing fro jsut over 2 years and previously had an Epiphone les paul, this is a bit of a step up dont u think? lol. I have no regrets and if it were to be stolen or lost. I would deffinatly buy another one, or try out a Gibson SG, which is on sale at the moment for only 500. I love the sound, that Telecaster twang and treble that you get from it. And the pickups are oh so versitle, however I sometimes get annoyed with the trus rod line on the back, I feel it somehow ruins the finish of the maple neck. I compared it to a custom Epiphone les paul with Gibson USA humbuckers and I chose my tele over it, I also tried a Schecter PT but that was unbearably heavy, so that was out of the question. however I do wish that it had mabey ESP pickups on it instead of the stock ones, I mean ESP single coils still, I wouldnt change them to humbuckers, I enjoy the change.

This guitar would deffinatly hold up to my energetic live playing style, I can do everything from my jumps to hula hoop swings and guitar duels. the hardware will deffinatly last and the strap buttons are rock solid, but just to be safe, wiv my all-over-the-place live style, I brought some strap locks jsut incase. I would be able to use it without a backup however I will always use a backup just incase, you can never be to carefull.

The set up was pretty standard of what you would excpect from Fender, bloody good. It was very good apart from one of the sadles was loose when I brought it, but before I left the store with it they fixxed that up whilst they were ringing up the prices. The pickups are standard stock pickups and are very well adjusted. But it does have wuite a noisy pickup selector, only when u Switch. It has a very dull buzz when you Switch. But then settles down quickly and is pretty much slient after that. Remember that every guitar is different and your guitar might or might not have these problems.

This guitar is Mexican made and is a 2005 model, it has 22 jumbo frets on a maple neck. is a laminated top with a maple body. The guitar has a beutiful vinate white finish with a cream pickguard neatly placed on the body. Has a modern Telecaster style bridge (not the original 3 sadles with 2 strings per sadle, biut a sadle for each string) there is a master volume knob, a tone knob and a 3-way pickup selector. There was a free Fender gig bag included as well.