Standard Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Telecaster

Purchased from: PSS Music (Grimsby, UK)Th

It's been said that you can't play metal on a Tele, but I beg to differ. My style ranges from Classical to Blugrass and from Metal to Jazz and can deal with all of them very well. The neck Pickup is very warm and perfect for clean, bluesy solos and acoustic style songs, such as Jack Johnson. On my profile, my cover of Better Together was played on this guitar, and had a few people thinking it was an acoustic guitar. On the other hand, the pridge pickup is bright and twangy, just how a Tele should sound. I use this to recreate tones from anyone from Hetfield to SRV, that's how good it is. The variety you can achieve with this is just superb. This is why the Telecaster is one of the longest running and most famous guitars in the history of music, and the choice of many professional musicians the world over. Sorry to sould like a Fender Advertisment, but that's how good it is!

As I said before, I play a huge range of music and I can safely say that this beast does it all! The range of tones is just amazing and I couldn't wish for a better instrument for the asking price. Although it is only a Standard Mexican made Tele, it sounds brilliant, and I will certainly buy a higher grade Telecaster, if the funds arrise and I need a new guitar, which won't be for some time. If this is the Standard, I can't wait to have a go on a deluxe version of this guitar. If it were to be stolen, I would try my hardest to reclaim the instrument. Failing that, I would definately buy another. The only thing that I had considered was a rosewood fretboard. All my other instruments use rosewood as fretboard materials and I was worried about making the swap but it has come as awelcome change. Now I can see why many varied professionals, like Bill Frisell, John 5, James Burton, Muddy Waters, Deryck Whibley and so many others play Telecasters almost exclusively. I am honoured to be a part of this Elite list as a Tele user.

This guitar will certainly stand up to a Live performance, whatever the style. I have not had the pleasure if gigging with it yet, but will do on th 30th of April, my bands next gig. I will take a backup of my Squire Stratocaster (though I doubt that I will need it) and my Ridgewood Acoustic/Electric, as we do an acoustic set. The hardware seems very solid and will last a lifetime and the finish is as good as the day I got it. A very versatile instrument throughout.

The guitar came well set up from the factory, but the staff in the shop that I bought it in checked the intonation and gave it a clean before selling it to me. I have not had to adjust it yet, and hope not to for many years. The hardware was fixed perfectly and there were no flaws with the instrument. Absolutely perfect!

My guitar was made in Mexico, to a very high Standard, the kind of quality I have come to expect from Fender. It features an alder body, with a B/O maple neck with 21 medium-jumbo frets; a 3 way pickup selector; chrome Fender hardware; Standard Telecaster string-thru bridge and pickups and came with Fender Gigbag and tools to adjust the truss rod and bridge, Two packets of Fender strings (Extra light 0.09-0.42) and a Venom lead, which the guys at PSS Music threw in. The colours available are Black, Chrome Red, Brown Sunburst (mine), Midnight Wine, Arctic White and Electron Blue. For you southpaws, there's a left handed version for a little extra money.