Standard Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Telecaster

The tele fits my music style very well for the way I use it. I strictly use it for mild overdrive and Cleans, and it works wonders for those. But with high distortion, it gets muddy, but a pickup change could help that. I run the Tele through a Vox VT50, which is great for cleans and not so great for distorted, so that sways my opinion as well. The pickups are pretty noisy, but some grounding may help. 7 for sound due to not great distorted tones. Everything else is GREAT though.

Overall, this guitar is great, and it plays blues and overdrive excellently. I have been playing for 4 years, and I have a Fender Deluxe Players Strat, and a VT50 and some other equipment. (not sure why this question was asked) I knew alot about this guitar before I bought it, so no regrets. If it were stolen or lost, I would most definatly buy another, and upgrade it like I have now. Or I may just buy a MIA standard. I love the cleans, Dont really like the distorted, and my favorite feature is the Bigsby. I can compare it to my Strat, which has better distorted, but the tele has better cleans. All I wish it had was better pickups, but I'll take care of that soon!

This guitar seems built like a tank, so I think it withstands most live playing, but I still wouldn't guitar spin or anything like that. The hardware has lasted 7 years so I think they last, and don't seem like they're slowing down. The strap buttons seem solid, but I stripped one of the screws, but that was again my fault, not Fenders. I could never gig without backup, but it seems it would hold. The finish is lasting and seems it will for a long time!

I bought the guitar used, so I cant say much about factory set up and such. The only flaw that it has after being played for 7 years are scratches and a chip in the paint, but that was not because of Fender. The pickups are now set very well, as well as the action. This took some minor setup, but did not take long.

This Fender Telecaster was made in 2003 at the Mexico plant. (MIM) The Tele has 21 frets, I think they are jumbo. It has a maple fretboard, which is very nice. The finish is Vintage Sunburst, which is a very nice color. I modded the Tele to have brass saddles for increased sustain, and a Bigsby B5 and a Telecaster Vibramate so I didn't have to drill into the guitar. The Tele has one volume and one tone, and it is a SS Pickup config. It still has the stock Fender pickups which work very well with my Bigsby because it dosen't fall out of tune much. I give features a 9, because I made them to my exact specs :)