Standard Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Telecaster

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

I actually love this guitar, you've probably heard everyone say you can only get a bluesy or country sound out of it, just don't listen, it suits my styles okay, but the pickups could do better. I play a lot of punk rock, ska, reggae, hardcore, blues and alternative stuff, but every now and again I play a bit of rock and Indie stuff. At the moment I'm using one of those crappy free amps that came with my first guitar (from Argos!:D) so that can make things sound a bit crap at times. But I always get to play on Marshall mg amps throughout the week, and it really makes this guitar sound awesome. The pickups aren't all that great in my opinion, they're single coils, so expect a bit of hum, I'm looking to get some Seymour Duncans put in. It's obviously got that classic Tele twang, but if you turn the tone down, you can get a better middle and low end sound, great for punk riffs. It can fit pretty much any sound with a little adjustment of the tone and EQ on the amp, although it really doesn't do metal well (not for metal heads).

The guitar is amazing, I love it and will never ever sell it. It matches what I play and it's solid as a really tough rock. This is the first decent guitar I've owned, but I've played lots of others and still chose this one because it is simply an amazing guitar, it's so lush to play! If someone stole it, I wouldn't sleep until I hunted them down and made the PAAAYYY! My favorite feature is definitely the neck, it's what makes the feel of this guitar so great. I was going to buy an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but I found that this tele was nicer to play, and still had a great sound. I wish it had the pickups I wanted, but seriously that's the ONLY thing I want to change, I love this guitar, it sounds great, feels great, it's solid, I love it!

I haven't played Live with this guitar yet, but I know it'll be fine because of the hours of rehearsals & practice I put this thing through. It seems pretty solid, nothing has fallen off, the strap buttons are like rocks, and I would use it without a backup because it's seriously solid. The finish on my guitar now has 2 chips in it, due to my major clumsiness:( don't expect the paint to come off easily, mine has taken quite a beating, but it only has 2 SMALL chips on it.

The action straight out of the factory was just fine, I haven't had to adjust it yet, and I don't think I'll need to for ages. Everything was fitted great, just what you'd expect from a Fender product. The intonation was slightly off, but I fixed that in two minutes. All the electrical stuff was properly wired (not that I know a lot about the wiring stuff) and the finish was good (no chips, shiny and new).

I have a Standard Fender Telecaster, made in 2007 (I've only owned it about 4 months) and coming from Mexico. It has a maple neck & maple fretboard, with 21 medium jumbo frets. Personally I love this neck to bits because it's so nice to play, it slides easy and it's just so thin. The body itself is made of alder, and it has a polyester finish (my one has an arctic white finish). The bridge is the new string-thru body 6 saddle one (easier for palm muting) 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, and a 3-way selector. It still has stock pickups on it, and I'm looking to get new ones, but I'll get into that later.