Standard Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Telecaster

Purchased from: Andertons

This guitar can achieve quite alot of sounds. Until about a week ago (this is May 2010) I was running it through a Vox Ad100vt, and now I'm running it through a Blackstar HT Stage100 head, and a Marshall 4x12 1960 cabinet. Anyway, the sound. With the Vox being a modelling amp the amp obviously did alo tof the work, it worked very nicely for all the tones up until really heavy metal. It did work quite nicely on the heavy metal, but obviously being a Fender and running through single coils there was alot of buzz. With the Blackstar this guitar sings. The cleans are unbelieavble, much better then alot of more expensive guitars I tried out on this amp, they stay crystal clear at high volumes. I love using the neck pick up for cleans and the bridge for overdrive etc as I find the middle and neck positions to get too muddy and wooly, but my preference. I play alot of hendrix, arctic monkeys, stone roses, tom petty bruce springsteen, jazz blues, right upto metallica killswitch engage etc and this guitar can pretty much handly all of them. I'm giving it a nine because I know that it can handle metal if I put an EMG in the bridge, I just don't want to do that. It does all the stuff I want it to do and I don't play enough metal for it to bring the score down.

For the style I play in my band, rock n roll into heavier rock, think chuckberry zeppelin with some heavier solos, its perfect. It handles palying live and the bridge pick up is godly. This gitar shouldve been clsoer to 450 but I got january sales and discounts for this and that, so its a good deal. I've been playing for coming upto 8 years, I'm still content to use this guitar as no guitars for about 550 seem worth the money for what little extra I'd get, and I don't have more then that to spend. For what I paid, this guitar was a steal. If it got stolen I have no idea what I'd do as I have no money, so probably just save up and strum my pubes while I wait. I love the sound, the durability and the solidity of it. I don't like the intonation issues, the input was a bit long to sort out and had to use someones Squier in the process. Not good. Favorite feature is the bridge pick up, sings on overdrive. When I bught it I compared it to an Epiphone wilshire, another great guitar that I didn't get because I'd heard they were quite fragile, and a ephiphone les paul for about 400. For me, I prefer the tone of the tele, but I can see why the bloek whod gone for the lp over the tele would do that. Wish it had three pickups like the starts as I love the second position on strats, but hey if I want that might aswell just but a Strat lol.

Like I said, I play live with this guitar all the time, the only problem I had is about a month after buying it I pulled my lead out to Switch guitars, and the input came out along with about half of the electronics inside. I got this fixed at Andertons under warranty and I now have a les paul style input. Apart from that and the slightly chipped finish its withstood solid touring absolutely fine. The strap buttons are solid and I don't use straplocks. they've lasted me fine so I don't bother changing, I gig without a back up quite alot recently as I sold my back up guitar to buy a more roadworthy amp. Good investment as I hardly ever used the back up guitar anyway.

The guitar was set up pretty much how I like it, I didn't change the pick ups I just lowered the action a tiny a bit for more comfortable playing. After about 3 years the guitars intonation has started going majorly off and I need to recap the frets, but this is all stuff that is easily fixed and sure to happen to any guitar after long enough. The finish is a bit chipped but I play live with this ALOT.

This is my mexican, black and white Standard tele. Not sure when it was made, I bought it january 07 so its probably 2006 or 2005. Its got 21 frets and Standard scale and neck etc, lost all the shit about where the exact details are. I think its an Alder body and maple neck. Normal finish black with white pickguard, it has a few chips but I've had this guitar for 3 and a half years. Normal tele bridge, passive stock pickups. 3-way selector, volume and tone knobs. Got a gig-bag free with it, broke after about a year but one of the straps still works so I use it as a spare.