Standard Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Standard Telecaster

Purchased from: Private Seller

I play jazz, blues, classic rock, alternative rock, and a little country here and there. I usually play through a Vintage Twin Reverb. This guitar is the most versatile guitar I have ever owned. Even with the stock electronics this guitar blew away my Nashville Tele, and my California Tele. After the upgrades, this guitar was on par on playability and sound with my friends Vintage telecaster. This guitar has a very bright sound on the Bridge and the bridge/neck combo. The neck pickup is very very sweet sounding. (I'm talking about the stock btw) The pickups were not noisy at all. This guitar can make the signature bright, twangy sound or play thick mean sounds with ease. Handles distortion just as well as a Strat or SG.

This guitar can really handle anything you throw at it. Much more than any of my gibsons. Wish I could get humuckers on it with easier modifications. And if it was stolen or lost I would do whatever it took to find another one. I love everything about this guitar, except how the guitar isnt cut to fit your body, but that's a tele for ya.

This guitar is well built, and a solid instrument. I would be comfortable dropping this guitar and not having to worry about it not working. This thing has been to hell and back, I've taken this thing to shows in detroit and it has never ever failed. I would be more than comfortable gigging with this without a backup. The strap buttons are solid, but never hurts to put on a strap lock.

I can't say much about the factory setup, but from what I saw, the craftsmanship was very good. Best I've seen compared to most mexican made guitars. Everything fit well and snug. None of the bracing was off at all, the selector Switch was quiet and the controls were tight. The nut wasn't very good, it was a plastic kinda thing, but that's a relatively cheap fix. The finish is extremely durable and difficult to scratch or chip.

The specific guitar that I bought was a 1991 Telecaster made in Mexico. Standard 25inch scale, neck is Standard for a Fender guitar. Medium frets on the maple neck and the solid body is made from ash I believe. The finish did not look like anything special, just a black paint-job. Of course it had the Telecaster Bridge with the Standard single coil tele pups. The stock guitar was really good, but I gutted all the electronics and replaced it with electronics from a 74' american tele and put in Lollar Special Tele pups.