Starcaster Electric Guitar Pack review by Fender

Fender: Starcaster Electric Guitar Pack

Purchased from: BJ's

I play a more metal, punk rock style and it suits it fine, though I do need to move my pickups. I use the amp that was included with it, a Squier sp-10, I believe although I may be wrong about that, and the amp comes with an overdrive setting, I use that most of the time. It is very noisy around electronics that are either on or plugged in, and this is on almost all settings except the neck and mid pickups(probably because neither of those are a distortioned pickup). The sound can be rich and full but it can also sound like my friend's firstact that was a very hollow sound, and depending on the pickup selection it can sound very bright, or it can sound very dark and depressing(I prefer dark and depressing for my style of music). Also you can make it sound a little like a bass, you Switch it to the mid and neck pickups and turn the tone knobs to 0 and Switch the equalization to 0 for treble, 5 for mids( I don't have a mids knobe on the amp that came with it but my friend did) and the bass up to 10.

I play a metal, punk rock mix, it is a pretty good match, even without adjusments to the pickups. I've only been playing a few months, most of which were on an acoustic. I don't own any other except strings and the sccesories that came with it. I honestly don't wish I had asked any questions before buying this, it is a beginner's set(a very good one in my opinion, although the Epiphone set I saw would be a better begginer's set). If it wa stolen I wouldn't but it again, only because it wa a set, but if I found the guitar separate I would buy it again(as long as I can't afford a better guitar). I love that it can sound like a bass under certain settings, and that it sounds very dark when played with a heavy hand. I hat that it makes lots of noise when around electronics because I play while on my computer so I can tab out what I make as I play it. My favorite part is the set of 3 single-coil pickups, it gives me a broader range for my style of music. I have compared it to my freinds' guitars, and most times it is better, I compared it to my freind's firstact, I'm not sure which model it is, but it was a Strat style guitar with one double-ciol pickup at the bridge. I also compared it to my other friend's jay turser(not sure on spelling so I spelled it phenetically) and it even out performs his. I wish it had a distortion pedal and maybe a fuzz box.

I haven't played this live ay at a gig yet, but I have played it through one of my friends' other amps and I think it would do a good job at a live show. The hardware does seem like it will last, except of course the tuners, if you want to replace anything, replace the tunres first. The strap buttons are pretty solid, my strap hasn't fallen off yet, and I punish my strap a lot. I would depend on it, but I wouldn't do a gig without a back up(if I have one). The finish is pretty good, I'd say it'll last me a while, but that's because I don't plan on whacking it against the stage after the last song of a gig. The finish doesn't seem too thin, it migh wear off with 5-6 hours of playing a day for the rest of your life, but I don't think many people will play that for that long.

It was set up pretty nicely, I hevnt changed anythign yet because I'm not sure how and what to do. The pickups were adjusted fairly well, I'm thinking of moving the bridge to a slanted postion, and moving the neck one up a little bit, other than the adjustments I'm making for my music style I wouldn't change much except the tuners and maybe the bridge. The bridge seems routed right, but this is my first guitar so I can't be sure. There were flaws right out of the package, not with the finish, I have whacked this thing many many times and the finish hasn't even scratched, the tuners are the only thing thta I saw as a flaw, they were very loose and it took a while to tighten them, plus they don't stay tuned for very long, every other day or so I have to retune it. I'm pretty sure the wood is basswood, but I'm not sure, it does have a rich sound like basswood guitars. Other than that it was fine about 20-30 dollars can fix the tuners so I'm not worried right now.

It didn't specify the year it was made in, but I can assume that it was recently made. It was made in china. It has 21 frets. It's a solid body, in a Strat style, with a faded cherry sunburst finish. The bridge is a thru body style, but I think it might need a few adjustments. I'm not sure about the electronics, they seem to be active, but the packaging and mauals didn't specify. There is one volume control, 2 tone knobs, and a 5-way selector. There are a neck and mid Standard pickups along with a bridge distortion pickup, I'm not sure about the make of them, but I'm sure that they are fenders, and they are single-cioled. It came with a gig bag, an amp, a strap, cable, picks, and a tuner.

Samhuinn
    KG6_Steven wrote: My advice? After you've been playing for awhile, go to your nearest guitar store and pick up a guitar valued over $1000. Play it for 10 minutes, then go back to the cheap Fender. You'll take a chainsaw to your cheap Fender. I promise.
    Unreasonable comparison, much?
    Laird95
    MetalMike676 wrote: Dear Lord... Starcasters And Strats are too completely different guitars. Your guitars electronics are about as active as your sex life, and one last thing...kill yourself
    You sir, are a douchebag. leave the poor kid alone
    Linkerman
    Sixty9 wrote: All the "starter pack" guitars are shit.
    Not all. That's a dumb generalization.
    DeanRedneck
    I've never played one of these, but everyone is ripping on them for being crappy. Of course they are. They cost $200. But do the Pepsi challenge with one of these and a $200 from 20 or 30 years ago, before CNC machining became the norm. I'd bet these would blow away the $80 pawnshop Kay I started on
    kodadak
    Ischi
    Without meaning to sound heartless.. This review doesn't even make sense on a fundamental level. 'The hardware does seem like it will last, except of course the tuners, if you want to replace anything, replace the tunres first.' What? I'm surprised this review made it onto the site..
    T D G Rocker
    This was also my first beginner guitar, i got it for $180 at Sam's Club. I was a beginner like this guy too, the amp sucked but as long as i had somethin'. The tuners on mine are sloppy too, but you deal w/ it. i got a bc rich warlock now but going for a ec-1000fr
    espplayer400
    Linkerman
    JayLacelle wrote: Well how I am supposed to know they have two different style guitars with the exact same model name? Sheesh settle down.
    Investigate before assuming the other person is wrong. Don't automatically speak like you're the one who's right.
    Linkerman
    JayLacelle wrote: No, the starcaster is a semi-hollowbody with 2 pickups. All these reviews describe it like it's a stratocaster.
    And the reviewers have the model name right. These guitars, briefly produced by Squier a couple years ago (i believe 2008 was the last production year), read "Starcaster " on the headstock. And yes, they basically look like a regular Strat. Although there was also a version with a triangular, "Gibson Flying V"-style headstock and chrome pickguard. So there are both Starcasters, the lower-end Squier models, and Starcasters, the semi-hollowbody guitar you're referring to. If you're going to try to correct someone, at least doublecheck your facts.
    daimjagv12
    daimjagv12 wrote: well said mate , i wish this kit was around when a started back in 74 i had a big kay accoustic,, strings were a foot away from the frets and the kneck was the width of a tree trunk. kodadak wrote: guys, stop flaming the noobie, we've all been in that stage when we get our first guitar, learn how to play power chords, and think we know everything. Besides, he could've chosen worse, ever heard of Bronze series BC Rich Warlock starter kit, now that's crap.
    daimjagv12
    Three2onE
    I own a starcaster! I find it sounds great in general. It's a starter guitar, but I gotta say im pretty attached to it! I love using it with a g-dec3 amp. Starcaster = Super awesome guitar of awesome that you play in your room or in front of few people to be a showoff! :p
    rv_phoenix
    Starcaster is not a Fender, it's a make in its own right. A ridiculous one, I agree, a member of the Fender family, true again, but the only Fender thing in it is the outer shape. And I can't imagine someone being so severely deprived of any musical sense so to buy this piece of junk. There are no marks above zero to rate this shameful example of Fender's greed, only equalled by Gibson's Maestro line. Big names can be very greedy sometimes, however we aren't entitled to speak about "sound" or "versatility" related to these despicable products.
    Linkerman
    0rion2309 wrote: Isn't this a Squire? With other words the cheap junk from Fender?
    No, it's a Squier . A brand owned by Fender M.I.C. that, as any other brand, manufactures good guitars and bad guitars.
    Gallardo147
    Haha this guy obviously knows nothing about guitars. I'm no expert but i know the difference between active pickups and passive and 'single ciol' and 'double ciol'(humbuckers) I also know that this guitar is not like he described it the bridge pickup is not 'distortioned' just offers a different sound. I think this is funny but people should at least know wat theyre talking about before posting a review.
    Metallica>Life
    nico42 wrote: i don't get all the hate..I think this review's pure gold! It totally made my day. But seriously, don't be so hard on the guy. All that single-coil, humbucker, active, finish etc.-talk is pretty confusing when you're just starting out, we've all been there. Of course you might not want to write reviews at that stage, but come on, no one forced you to read it!
    Were not hating, just laughing. I defenitely agree with you, this review made my day lol
    Keyphur
    we used to sell these things at a shop I worked at, the worst thing about these things is the inconsistency between each pack. maybe 1/10 worked well out of the box, half of em had faulty electronics, most had damaged hardware and all most all of them had bad action, fret buzz, or frets that just wouldn't sound at all. I would recommend a low end Ibanez over this to anyone looking to buy a beginner guitar
    nico42
    salgala2000
    Is this a UG joke? or for real? I'm genuilney (idk how to spell so ill do it phe-net-i-call) confused. God i wish this came with a distortion pedal ???
    prleLTD
    Metallica>Life
    I'm guessing the only criteria for article writing on Ultimate Guitar is: "Make no sense. Be 5 years old. Not understand the whole rating system." Honestly, this is a failblog worthy article.
    synshadows
    In all seriousness, since this is his first review, maybe at the end he will improve after a few more years of playing his guitar and reading the comments in his review
    synshadows
    the part that made me LOL was this: I haven't played this live ay at a gig yet, but I have played it through one of my friends' other amps and I think it would do a good job at a live show. Man... this is funny!!! I can only wonder what Amp his friend runs, probably a low end johnson amp...lolz
    TimShredsESP
    agreed with all 13 comments lol... my mom bought me this pack for my first guitar and im horrified with it, i guess its a good low budget begginner guitar, but it is a hunk of junk i wanna throw out my window. the amp is so terrible, theres like two knobs on it. i laughed when he thought the pickups were active haha. itd be a waste of good money to put actives in this ass guitar, this guitar is a disgrace to all guitars period.. not metal at all.. btw for the action part, the action is crap. its way too high outta the package. but kid, if u plan on getting good, u better save your money for a REAL metal guitar. and if u wanna play shows, ur gonna have to save more for either a half stack or a 2 by 12 or something appropriate. the $h!tty sp.10 is virtually worthless
    SOADbeast
    I've only been playing a few months
    THEN DONT REVEIW A GUITAR!! My cousin has this and it is absoultely crap. The strings didnt even come out when i tried to replace them for him. it was like the chinese workers put krazy glue or something in the bridge . . . it is a fine example of cheap chinese made crap. get a low end ibanez, those are way better than that.
    JayLacelle
    Kosh H
    I actually feel bad for the poor kid. At least He'll learn from his mistakes.
    JayLacelle
    espplayer400 wrote: JayLacelle wrote: HASN'T ANY ELSE NOTICED THE TITLE SAYS "STARCASTER" AND THE PICTURE IS OF A STRATOCASTER? TWO VERY DIFFERENT GUITARS. The review isnt of an older starcaster, but of a newer cheap, starter pack guitar of the same name.
    divergent
    a package with rating of 5? come on .... what the hell is going wrong with you? thats some of the worst shit you can acquire, even its of fender .... ..... this is hilarious .... you people in this platform got eeeeepic instrument and music skillz, really!!!!!
    Sixty9
    All the "starter pack" guitars are shit. Just like my Ibanez Jumpstart pack
    emoxpestilence
    guys thx for all this, yea, it was my first reveiw, yes i've only been playin for a few months, and yes it was my first electric, i get where you guys are comin from, but as Keyphur said, 1/10 work, mine must have been one that was abnormal, worked, and fits metal. i dont know wut the difference is betweeen active and passive electronics, and i admit, even sum of it didnt make much sense to me, but it was my first reveiw, and when i said i had to retune it constantly i meant that i had to retune it every 1/2 hour or so, the amp i ran it through at my friend's house was a high end peavey and i'm not plannin on goin on gigs anytime soon(only after i get the viper i want), so thx for all the comments, before i write another reveiw i'll learn a little more about wut it is the questions ask.
    TysonRoad
    I couldn't make it past the first two paragraphs. Please, emoxpestilence, for the love of god, don't reproduce.
    majestone
    My Starcaster was made in Indonesia. That probably explains why mine plays and sounds better than other(cheaper) Starcasters.
    rickyj
    Turkeyburger wrote: "I'm not sure about the electronics, they seem to be active, but the packaging and mauals didn't specify."
    HAHAHAHA
    Stuart90
    Doesn't stay in tune for long? Gotta retune every day? You should retune your guitar every time you play it, thats not a hassle at all. Your just being lazy. If your guitar stays in tune all day long then thats pretty good.
    KG6_Steven
    I wouldn't even play one of these for jazz, as someone suggested. The best thing this guitar is suited for is starting a fire in my fireplace. These are horrible guitars, horrible amps and their accessories are horrible, too. I've had students ask about buying these guitars. I steer them far, far, far away from these pieces of garbage. Nice try with the review, rater. Unfortunately, it helps to know the product you're reviewing. You had too many uncertainties and too many unknowns. Active pickups on a cheap guitar? I don't think so. My advice? After you've been playing for awhile, go to your nearest guitar store and pick up a guitar valued over $1000. Play it for 10 minutes, then go back to the cheap Fender. You'll take a chainsaw to your cheap Fender. I promise.
    crazy8rgood
    My friend had one of these when he started out. Horrible thing. Action was shit, the neck was weird. Horrible, even for a starter guitar.
    seemeel
    Any review that rates this guitar more than about 3/10 is wrong. What a load of shit.