Starcaster Electric Guitar Pack review by Fender

Fender: Starcaster Electric Guitar Pack

This thing sounds great (when it stays in tune) when plugged into my Crate amp. I use a Black Label chorus pedal and a Boss distortion pedal with it and it sounds amazing. Of my 4 electric guitars, this one gives the less feedback. I can do pinch harmonics on it pretty easily.

This is an ok guitar for a beginner, but it drove me crazy not staying in tune. I did find that it did better when I took the tremolo bar off. I've been playing almost 4 years, and this is definately better than the First Act I have (though the amp the First Act came with is actually good). I keep it mostly for sentimental value, so I would hate it if it were stolen, but I would not buy another one.

Aside from coming out of tune real easy, this is a pretty reliable guitar. I haven't really banged it up much (yet). The hardware seems to me that it will last a while, I haven't had a problem with it. The strap buttons are solid, but the strap that comes with the guitar is shit. I would use it at a gig if I changed the tuners.

I haven't modified the action at all, I've played it as is since I got it, and it does pretty good. The frets are rough, but it'll lessen in time. No flaws in the finish or anything that I can see, it doesn't suffer from poor construction, just poor hardware. A guy at church recommended I change the Bridge and tuners and I'm seriously looking into doing that.

My dad bought this for me for Christmas one year to keep it at his house. It has 21 frets, Strat body style, 2 tone controls, one volume control, 5 way selector switch, and three single coil pickups. It also has a removable tremolo bar. I don't know if it was me or if the thing is a piece of shit, but my tremolo bar is stripped out. The tuners on this guitar are awful. Sometimes the damn thing won't stay tuned for five minutes. I play a lot of classic rock and metal and if I bend the strings too much the G will go out. I used it at church on 2/20/2011 and it did fine, but I was terrified it'd go sharp on me during one of my solos. The kit came with the guitar, a gig bag, a SP-10 amp, some picks, a 1/4 cable, a strap, tuner, and a dvd (I didn't even bother opening). The amp is horrible on overdrive, but sounds pretty good on a clean tone. The strap broke, the tuner is horrible too, the gStrings app on my phone does a better job.