Starcaster Electric Guitar Pack review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 4.2 Poor
Fender: Starcaster Electric Guitar Pack

The sound is horrible, I play mainly metal and clearly it isn't built for that but I do also play Blues and Jazz, and it can't do either of those styles well either, it can do them better than metal but that's not saying much. The single coils buzz and fizz even with no distortion and God forbid you add any kind of overdrive cause it's sound sound like some one's taking a Diarrhea shit outta their mouth especially if you play through the amp that comes with it. I play this "guitar" out of a Bugera 1960 with a Boss CH-1, DigiTech Digidelay, Behringer Noise Gate, and a Carls Custom Guitars volume box all in the FX loop. In front of the amp is a Ibanez Weeping Demon and a EH Metal Muff w/top boost, all driving a Randall RT412RC, a adequate set-up to judge the tone of a guitar. No matter how hard I mess with it it cannot and will not sound good, atleast not to me. But keep in mind that this is a starter guitar, I'm giving a honest review so that any one who is considering getting understands that this is not the real thing.

I play metal, rock, blues, and jazz. This guitar can do the last 2 better than the first 2, but not really well. I've been playing for 5 years and also own 4 other guitars a Jackson RR24, Jackson RR3, Jackson JS32KV, and a Ibanez XPT700FX. Clearly it would be unfair to compare this guitar to those, but it doesn't excuse this guitars terrible sound even compared to guitars in it's price range. Incase any one wants to know the mods I made to it are the following. - Warmoth 24 fret neck w/maple fret board - Locking nut - Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose - Seymour Duncan SH-6 in the bridge - upgraded all the electronics - Grover locking tuners - All black hardware - Yellow/black bevels paint job Mirror pickguard With all that work it sounds amazing. This guitar is a great platform to mod on.

This guitar could survive a gig like a school show and such, but don't use the tremolo cause you'll go out of tune. The hard ware has lasted for 2 years and looks fine, but can it last 50 years like a real strat? I doubt it, but for the price 2 years is great, I've seen 500 dollar guitars with the hardware all rusted after just a few months. The strap buttons are okay provided your strap is good, the strap comes with wont stay on for shit, but getting strap locks is still a good idea. I would never gig with this guitar without a backup despite the fact that I modded the shit out of it to where it's actually good, but to be fair I would never gig without a backup with any guitar. The finish is great for a cheap guitar, but it does ding kinda easy, but what to you expect.

I bought this off a friend of mine with the intention of modding the shit out of it (which I did), so I can't comment on the factory set-up but upon purchase it was fine, no buzz, no dead frets. The pickups were adjusted fine but I didn't intend on keeping them any way. The finish had a few dings here and there but overall great for cheap guitar. No loose knobs, no rust, tuning pegs were solid. Nice construction for a starter guitar, too bad is sounds horrible stock. But since I did not purchase it stock, a 6 it gets cause it may have had a terrible set-up from the factory.

2010, made in Indonesia, 21 frets, 25.5 scale. Basswood Body, Maple bolt on neck, Rosewood fretboard, Black finish, white pickguard. Strat body style, Vintage Tremolo bridge, 3 single coil pickups, 1 volume, 2 tone. None locking tuners. The Standard Stratocaster set-up, sadly nowhere near as good or well built as the real thing, but you get what you payed for. Other things that came with it were a sh-tty 10 watt amp, a atrocious strap that always slips off, and a cable that died 2 days after I had it.