Starcaster S2 review by Fender

Fender: Starcaster S2

Purchased from: Sams Club

I play it through a Line 6 spider 3 30 watt amp, I can get various sounds out of it ranging from an acoustic like clean to a pretty loud type metal. Key word like. It took some fine tuning to get it to play the way I want. As with any electric though most of it is in the amp so with out one I could make a les paul sound like my starcaster.

I play RHCP, Metallica, nirvana, santana, hendrix, skynyrd, zeppelin, and some Black Sabbath, although I can't get an exact sound I can get close. I have been playing for about 5 months and this was my first guitar and I actually prefer it over my new one, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plain top. maybe I just haven't gotten use to it yet but the neck on my starcaster feels so much more comfortable as does the body, but I love the deep metal sound from the Epiphone. I would miss it very much if it dissapeared.

This could withstand Live playing, but first the tuners need to go, I've replaced mine with wilkinson locking tuners and fitted a Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB humbucker and it has become more versatile in the sound department. Other than the tuners everything else seemed fine, you will need strap locks for Live plaing though. I would gig mine with modifications with out a back up, a stock one I would say nay.

My guitar needed to major work, no mis alignments, no blemishes no flaws really, just came out of the box, needed some tuning but other then that I haven't had many problems. This guitar fits really nicely along your body as would any Stratocaster, it weighs about the same too.

My starcaster came from China, body made of agitha wood, Stratocaster body is really comfortable, 21 frets, single single humbucker pickups, 2 tone 1 volume knob, tremolo bridge, tuners basically non existant, came with a strap; useless, gig bag, cable; useless, tremolo arm, DVD, extra strings, a tuner and picks, along wih an sp10 amp, which can get a semi decent clean sound but it can't go very loud with distortion before getting muddy.