Telecaster Blackout review by Fender

Fender: Telecaster Blackout

Price paid: C$ 850

I play a variety of different styles and genres, mostly just jamming to songs with my own made up material anywhere from rock, punk, hardcore, country to Christian worship songs. This guitar is excellent for all those sounds. I play through a Traynor special custom 50watt all tube amp. I get a little amount of buzz when using the bridge pickup, but it's nothing to noticeable. I only use one pedal, an electroharmonix memory boy (delay). This analog delay compliments the warm tube amp quite nicely, especially on the clean channel. When used on the dirty channel it becomes quite messy. The tele performs great, and sounds fantastic (to my ears anyways). You get a very deep, full sound on the neck and middle pickup, while the bridge pickup delivers a lot more treble and punch, almost like a hum-bucker. This versatility is fantastic, and makes this an excellent, well-rounded guitar.

As mentioned before, I play a lot of different styles, and really enjoy making up my own material or jamming and improv over other songs. I've been playing for 7 years, and this is the second guitar I have owned, the other being my first squire fat strat. I have not had experience with a lot of other guitars, in owning them anyways, but I have played quite a few. This tele has been fantastic, and would not trade it for anything. I love the neck, and the colour scheme. It matches my Traynor amp perfectly. I compared this to a Gibson Les Paul Standard before buying, and also a vaugn all white strat, and this is the one that won me over. If it was stolen would I replace it? In a heartbeat.

This tele is solid, and feels fantastic in your hands. Is it show quality? Sure. I think it would perform fine, I have played for hours, really hammering on the strings and such, and it has continued to perform well. The finish is excellent, there are no dings or cracks what -so-ever, and that is not just because I have babied it, it truly is a solid guitar. Strap buttons are solid, but I would defiently install strap locks, as my worn out strap occasionally falls off. I don't think I would need a back up, but in reality you never know.

The guitar was set up perfectly from the factory. The action was awesome, and I only just recently readjusted it, (over a year after purchase). No flaws that I have noticed, to me this guitar is perfect. Over the last year the screws in the pick guard have begun to rust a little, but that just adds character, and does not impede with the sound quality. The tuners have remained tight, and there is no play in the volume and tone knobs or pickup selector.

My Fender Blackout Telecaster has been a fantastic guitar. I received this guitar as a gift in the summer of 2008, purchased from a local music store. It's a Mexican made Telecaster featuring 21 jumbo frets, 5 way switching between 3 Vintage style tele pickups, and a master volume and master tone knobs. An alder body with a 1 piece maple "C" neck and a thru body bridge complete this beautiful guitar. The gorgeous black top and matching black Dot inlays compliment the maple neck. Going from a squire fat Strat to this tele couldn't have been better. The three pickups give you a wide range of tones, while the guitar itself looks very sleek and defined.