Telecaster Blackout review by Fender

Fender: Telecaster Blackout

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Well, this is the section where this axe really shines! Seriously, this thing is like a tone-machine. I play most Blues and Classic Rock and this guitar gets the job done and then some. For the most part, the clean, bluesy tones are where this guitar excels but if you flip on a Boss 1 distortion pedal the single coils still really sing. Because of the single coils and the maple neck the sound is very bright compared to my rosewood neck Strat, but that's all the better in my opinion. Syd Barrett, Jimmy Page, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, they all used Teles and if you want the kind of tone to match theirs then this is your guitar for sure.

For the styles that I play (Blues, Classic Rock, Modern Rock) this guitar is a perfect match and I really couldn't ask for more. In the year and a half I've been playing the only other electric I had was a Squier OBEY Strat and the difference is absolutely phenomenal! It's like going from a scooter to a Ferrari, no joke. I would reccomend this guitar to absolutely anyone I know that plays.

Now, I haven't gigged with this guitar yet but I definetely can plan on it. Obviously, I've bumped the body against tables or hit the neck on a drum set and things of that nature... everyone does. But if you look at the guitar, you can't even tell. The finish, knobs, tuners, chrome and all of that stuff look as good as new after a month of getting this thing broken in. The only thing is a little spot in the wood on the second fret that wasn't there when I first got it. I think it happened somehow at the shop, but it isn't really noticeable and it doesn't affect playability.

Of course, the dark and shining black finish w/ chrome hardware is one of the highlights of this guitar. The looks of this thing are out of this world. Straight from the factory, there wasn't a single scratch or dent on this thing. The action is also very comfortable, with bends, hammer-ons and pull-offs easy as pie. The only problem is that when I first got it the low E string kept coming of the top of the neck when I would play it, but after the guitar got set up at a local shop that really hasn't been as a big a problem either. This guita came near perfect from the factory, and that was a big relief!

This guitar is Mexican made and has 21 medium-jumbo frets. Since it's a Telecaster it is a bit on the heavy side, but after having it for around a month or so you will get use to it no problem. As I'm sure you can tell by the name, it is indeed solid black with all-chrome hardware. It came with a Fender deluxe gig bag which is very useful if you want to transport it, say, to and from a friends house or to a music shop. It has an easy to use string-thru body bridge and, unlike most teles, it has 3 pick-ups instead of two. The third is added in the middle position. The body is made of alder and is glazed over with a shining polyester finish. All together, this is one sexy guitar!