Tom DeLonge Strat review by Fender

Fender: Tom DeLonge Strat

Purchased from: Sam Ash

When I first bought the guitar, I thought the sound couldn't get any better but I was wrong. Since purchashing the TD, I bought a Squier Starfire hollowbody and installed an Invader at the bridge and I also bought a 1985 Gibson Les Paul. After playing the Les Paul or Starfire, the tone and sound on the Delonge doesn't have any depth. It sounds very canny. It has a nice distorted and clean sound but is pale in comparison to my Starfire and Les Paul. I use the guitar with a Marshall MG100HDFX Head and a Marshall MG 412 cabinet. I would only use this guitar as a back-up. Not a lead.

I play punk-pop and hardcore/emo (yea big difference) and this guitar will fit both styles. I have been playing for 4 years. I taught myself. I own the 3 TD strats, a Squier Starfire, Peavey Raptor Plus, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, two Fender acoustics, and a 1985 Gibson Les Paul Standard. In the amp/cabinet/head department I own a Marshall MG100HDFX Head, a Marshall MG 412 cabinet, some weird Fender cabinet with white twill (all I know is that it's 300 watts) and a Crate MX120 combo amp. I also have a Shure wireless system. Out of all the guitars I own, the TD guitars are probably my 4th favorite to play. I'd pick my Epi, Squier or Gibson over the TD anyday. If my guitars were stolen, as with any of my equipment, I'd kill someone and of course I'd buy it again. It has a beautiful clean tone which I like more than the distortion. I love Tom Delonge, he's my hero, my idol, but this guitar just doesn't cut it for me. I'm not surprised he went back to using Gibsons. I asked him why he switched and he said it's cause he's a big guy and wanted a big guitar (the TD333) to play cause the Fender isn't too big, which is nice. This is a decent guitar, with a decent sound but the sound just isn't full enough. I recommend using a Gibson over this guitar.

I would never play this guitar live unless I needed to. The hardware does seem like it will last but the humbucker on the guitar has fallen in the pickguard quite a few times and I have never had that problem with any other guitars. The finish is excellent. I removed the strap buttons and use schaller strap locks. They are pretty good but you need to tighten the part on the strap. I could depend on this guitar but wouldn't want to play it live unless need be.

I don't know why but my surf green model sounds better than any of the other ones. Even some of my friends have the surf green model and we all agree it sounds better than the other colors...maybe it's just us. Everything came in tact.

I believe its a 2001 or 2002 mexican model(it isn't near me right now). It has 21 frets. It is a nice solid top(?) body with a volume knob for a Seymour Duncan Invader. I have 3 of the TD Strats in Surf Green, Black, and Yellow. I left the tuners that came with it cause they are so effin' nice even though they aren't locking tuners. It has a nice, smooth beautiful neck. Decent guitar.