Tom DeLonge Strat review by Fender

Fender: Tom DeLonge Strat

This guitar suits my style very well, only because Tom Delonge is my hero. My style is any pop-punk, emo band. This guitar is great for that, simply because of the humbucker brings out a massive distorted tone. I have a Line 6 SpiderII 212 amp. Sometimes ill plug in my Line 6 pod 2.0 into it. All the effects i play with are on the amp and the pod, too long to list. If I use an effect, its normally flange or some chorus every now and then. The guitar sounds great playing with the effects only when its clean. playing with an effect in the distortion channel doesnt sound too good. The humbucker overpowers the effect and it basically sounds like crap. THe one thing that i dont like about this guitar is the clean channel sounds kind of distorted if your playing chords with it, its frustrating. But once again, I think its the humbucker over powering again. the harmonics are great and chords ring for days.

I play mostly punk rock emo stuff. This guitar matches perfectly, because there are no over barring solos or anything like that. Solo's sound good if your playing with distortion, but if you want to play a blues riff it doesnt work because theres no pickup Switch. i've been playing for 3 years, I own an Epiphone Dot and a standard Fender Strat. Those 2 other guitars are hand-me-downs from my uncle who quit playing. I honestly dont think i would trade this guitar for anything, it fits my playing style perfectly. I hate that the clean has a fuzz sound, and thats about it. I rarely play my other guitars, only when im bored with playing power chords, ill pick up the dot and play some blues. My favorite thing about this guitar is the fact that there is no feed back whatsoever.

Does this guitar withstand live playing? Of course it does, Tom did it almost every night and sounded great. The hardware is made to last, its made to be beat up. The guy that i bought this guitar from said i could throw it down the stairs and it wouldnt mess anything up. So being the stupid person i am... i tried it, fortuanantly it didnt do a damn thing to it. It was still in tune! The finish is great, it would only wear off if you rubbed it on some concrete. The strap buttons are great you can jump around and not have any unwanted sound. I would play this guitar live without a back up, i dont see why i couldnt. Tom did it, why couldnt anyone else?

The guitar is set up just like Tom wanted it. The action on this thing is magnificant. You can just set your fingers there and play a note without pushing. The pickup is set in perfectly and hasnt moved since the day i got it. There are no flaws with this guitar, everything is put in correctly. Every other review i have read says that this guitar goes out of tune very easily. This hasnt happened to me i only have to tune this guitar if im down tuning it or something like that.

This is a Mexican made guitar, I got it about 6 months ago. There are 21 medium-jumbo frets, which makes playing power chords very nice. This guitar is for simple minded people like myself. It has one knob, volume. It has one massive seymore duncan Invader humbucker. There is no wammy bar or any other switches. The neck is maple with Rosewood fret board. Like all strats, its a string-thru body style, the headstock is the big 70's style one. The pearloid pickguard makes it look real pretty. I have the Daphne blue one and the pickguard brings out the body color very well.