Tom DeLonge Strat review by Fender

Fender: Tom DeLonge Strat

Purchased from: George's Music, West Palm Beach

This guitar suits my music style because I play a lot of hardcore stuff (Thrice, usually), some punk music (Misfits, Operation Ivy, Rancid, etc.) and pop punk (Blink 182, Green Day, etc.) This guitar is great for that. The Invader is a very high output humbucker and it really screams with the right amount of distortion. I'm using this with a 25 watt Fender Frontman II, with a DOD death metal distortion pedal. I don't play death metal, or even any type of metal, but the pedal gives out a lot of distortion and really makes the guitar scream (as I have said before).

This guitar is great for pop punk, punk and some hardcore music. I've been playing for about 16 months and I have a Fender Standard Stratocaster and an Epiphone Les Paul. This guitar is a great addition to my "collection", because its awesome - I love the 70's headstock. If this guitar was lost, I'd try to buy a new one before they're gone. If it was stolen, I would seriously find the son of a bitch and beat the crap out of him and take it back. I love this guitar. I've been trying to get it since I started playing over a year ago. It was worth every penny I paid ($550 in cash, hah). This is the best guitar I have ever played and I really think this is the last one I will buy for a very long time, it is the definition of "the shit".

This guitar can withstand live playing. Tom uses it live, and it seems to hold up for him. It's a Fender, they just don't crap out on you. The hardware is chrome, so I'm sure it'll be fine. The strap buttons are nice, very solid, not going anywhere. I can definately depend on this guitar. It's very solid, built like a tank. I'd gig without a back up. The finish is going to last.

The action on this guitar is fine, it's not set to high or too low. The pickup is fine. There are no flaws what so ever with this guitar, everything is fine.

Made in Mexico during 2002-2003, this guitar has 21 medium-jumbo frets, has a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. The body is Alder. The finish on mine is black, with a pearloid pick guard. The bridge is a hard tail (on a string through body) which I like because I hate messing with the tremelo block on my Standard Strat. There is one volume knob, and one Seymour Duncan Invader. Some people say that this makes this guitar suck, because of its lack of features. I disagree - I like this guitar because it's simple, and it doesn't need a lot to sound good. The Invader totally kicks ass. The tuners are very nice, Vintage tuners. It comes with a Fender Deluxe gig bag, as do all the other Fender Deluxe guitars.