Tom DeLonge Strat review by Fender

Fender: Tom DeLonge Strat

Purchased from: eBay

I play rock, pop-punk and punk, and it's perfect. Obviously, it wouldn't suit a blues guitarist, but that's life! Using a Fender practice amp, and it sounds good clean and with distortion. Makes a great amount of noise when on full volume, crunchy and thick. Also sounds great Acoustic funnily enough.

I play a mix of everything, but this guitar excels at punk and rock, the power chords and barre chords sound great. I've been playing for 6 years and I'm at an intermediate level, but I know this would work for pros too. I love the finish, the light weight and the pickups, as well as the width of the neck. If I could change one thing it would be the tuning peggs, as they're a tiny bit loose, so it's tricky to get an initial tuning but it holds the tune well in its case. This is superior to a regular strat, like a specialist deluxe. I would say that if you are unsure of your genre then play a few guitars before making a choice, but that's general advice. Overall it's great.

Perfect for live playing, light-weight and sturdy. Strap buttons are fine without a strap-lock, but I would use one just in case. Honestly, I think this guitar would withstand nuclear war! Finish lasts really well and it take quite a bit for a noticeable mark to come up on the body.

All great, I'm no expert but there's no faults that hinder my playing. Pickups are set nicely and no scratches or noticable production marks. Everything properly matched and routed, only the tuning pegs a little loose: however its a small fault which could easily be fixed if you really wanted to. No problems elsewhere.

This is a 2002-3 Mexican Strat, with 21 medium jumbo frets. Alder Body, Rosewood Fingerboard, Maple Neck and Chrome Hardware. I have it in daphne blue, which compliments the wood really well, and the finish is superb. One Seymour Duncan pick-up in the bridge and a single volume control knob which is perfect for me (I like to keep it simple!). I got a hard case and strap, as well as string with it.