Tornado GT HH review by Fender

Fender: Tornado GT HH

My music style is all across the board. I play everything from John Mayer to Rage against the machine, but I primarily play bluesy garage-rock like the Black Keys, and this guitar covers everything. My most recent change on the guitar, something to really consider for anyone with a dual humbucking setup, is to install a Duncan SH-2N Jazz pickup in the neck and a Duncan Invader pickup in the bridge. Sadly, earlier this year my original pickups shorted, but after installing these pickups, it only made the sound and versatility of this guitar even better! The sound this guitar makes starts at a smooth, rich deep sound all the way to a hot, sparkling rock tone.This guitar pumps plenty of volume, and when I play it through my Way Huge Electronics Swollen Pickle Fuzz pedal it really shines. One setting on the fuzz pedal turns into three because of the tonal diversity this guitar can offer just by switching between pickups. I can say that to this day, after five years of owning it, it still can beat just about any other guitar you pit it against, whether it be a strat, a les paul, a tele, anything.

This guitar is the perfect match for me. I got it at a steal 500$ for a guitar that was 900$ new, but it plays like a guitar that's worth more than twice the money. I have been playing for 10 years now and have played on many guitars ranging from strats to les pauls to jazzmasters and jacksons. I have seen many guitars and nothing compares. The versatility, tone, look, and attitude this guitar has is just unmatchable. You can see the muscle car inspiration not just in the looks, but just in the way it feels. The low action perfect for fast playing. I only have my other crestwood at the moment, and other than buying an acoustic-electric, I have no other plans to buy another electric guitar because I don't want or need one. If my guitar was lost or stolen, after much mourning, I would look desperately for another one, for in my opinion, it has no equal. Even at the guitar center I had the new pickups installed in, the service tech said that it was one of the best guitars in the store hands down, and it was valued at 800$ on the work slip. The people who saw it on his work bench asked about it, and wanted one as well. Everyone who sees me using it asks me about it. It really is a bittersweet shame that Fender discontinued this beauty, because while its no longer available new, I thoroughly believe this will be a future classic. A collector's item. If you own this guitar, you're lucky, hang on to it. If you have an opportunity to buy one, do it, you won't regret it. And if you don't have one, I'm sorry, but you're missing out.

This guitar will stand up to anything you put it through. After five years of use and a year of hard daily use (I always try to set aside at least 2 hours to play every day) this guitar shows no signs of letting up. The hardware has lasted this long with no serious issues and really, for a korean-made product, I was greatly impressed. Although I have not played live shows, I am currently in the process of forming a band, and I have every confidence that this guitar will survive. The finish is still in excellent condition, you can tell that it is robust and that it will last. I ended up replacing the original strap buttons with strap locks just for that added reassurance, but it wasn't really necessary. Due to my own error in tightening the screw on the top lock too much, I sheared the threading on that straplock and it pulled out yesterday. This is a simple fix and is more my fault than the guitar's. I would play any gig with just this guitar. In fact the only reason I would have another one is because I play songs with varying tuning setups and that would be a major pain to Switch around. If I could, though, every guitar would be one of these.

When I recieved this guitar from the factory, I was very impressed with the fit and finish. The actual finish on the guitar itself was flawless. The action was very low as well, perfect for fast playing and very well adjusted. Every piece of hardware looked and worked beautifully, and it was an eye catcher from day 1. After five years of use, I have only had minor issues that were easily remedied. After having to re-solder the sending unit connection a couple of times, I finally put threadlock on the seanding unit nut to prevent it from falling out and allowing the sending unit to spin, causing this problem in the first place. I also had to fill-in and re-drill the hole for the sending unit bevel. Other than that, I have had no issues, and I have noticed no fading or damage that I haven't caused myself.

I have owned this guitar for 5 years now and I have to say that it is one of the best guitars I have ever played. This guitar was bought for me as a present to replace my old crestwood starter guitar and from the day I owned it, I've loved it. Visually, it is a stunning and unique piece of kit. From the Mahogany body and metallic green finish to the painted headstock, a feature I would like to see on many other Fender models, this guitar always shines. Its 22 frets, and tone and volume controls for both pickups give it amazing versatility, while its 59' neck and pearly gates plus Bridge humbuckers made in america give it the fantastic tone.