Toronado review by Fender

Fender: Toronado

The alnico series humbuckers sang beautifully through my Crate GLX120 full stack. My styles range from Texas blues to heavy metal, so once I scratched the surface of what the can do, I ran wild. Using clean tones with different kinds of reverb, the bridge pickup gives a bright sound almost too bright. That can easily be adjusted by turning the volume knob on the guitar down, but it is good for certain tones that are trying to be achieved. The neck pickup however did not act like this, it's highs were just right and it's lows were nice and warm.Using a Vintage tube screamer sounding gain, it comes out very blues and almost like a fat Strat at times and a les paul at others. Once I kicked some high amounts of distortion and overdrive on it, it sounded like a metal machine. I could hear every note clearly and every chord note ring thru. It screamed wonderfully.

I've been playing now for about 7 years, this is my 9th guitar i've owned and I enjoy it. I love the look it has and i love the tones it gives. I love fenders look, but i love the sound of a les paul, you can achive some of those paul tones with it, and you can also achive classic Fender tones with it. Affordable, a good "go-to" guitar, great tones, cool shape. Lacking Fender quality craftesmanship in certain areas, clean tones almost too bright, and as of 2007 are no longer being produced.

This guitar is my main guitar for shows and performances. It's got a great look to it most other guitars don't have, and puts out just the right tones I need. Although you can never go wrong havin a backup les pual on hand (just in case) it's a dependable rock machine. The finish seems well enought to last for years and even if it doesn't, Vintage instraments are in high demand.

The action on the guitar was nice and fresh from the factory. The neck isn't too small or too wide. I feels like a newer Strat neck. The pickups I always adjust to where they are almost flush with the body and then I raise them as I see fit.The strings also sit just high enough off the fretbord and just feels like you're playing an odd shaped Strat.

I spotted this guitar almost instantly when I walked into my local music store. The odd shape and cherry red color jumped off the wall when I first noticed this guitar. Although it's slightly on the lower end of Fenders instrament (being made in mexico and all) it still has all the features I like in a guitar. It came standard with 2 alnico humbuckers, 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, and a 3-way toggle switch. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic in silver along with the Standard Fender engraved tuners. The major letdown from all the goodies about the guitar came from the sticky toggle Switch that I had to replace, the cruddy knobs which fell off and had to be replace, as well as the volume pot that broke when I tried to put the knob back on. Once all that was repaired it worked much better.

conrj95
    Whilst being aware that he doesn't actually own it, John Frusciante 'plays' one in the Can't Stop video. If it's good enough for him to pretend to play, it's good enough for me.