Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster

Purchased from: eBay

The pickups have a very smooth treble to them and don't sound thin or brittle. The guitar sustains like nobody's business and the alder body is a good all around wood, especially with an all maple neck. Overall, the sound is great, exactly what I wanted.

I play alot of hard rock/'80s metal, and use this guitar for my own music. It is NOT a metal machine, nor high output in anyway. Combined with my Boss SD-1, MT-2, and NS-2, I have achived a high-gain, but smooth, sound that can be used for hard rock and crazy solos. I don't own a tube amp, so I run this guitar into a Line 6 Spider II 112 and get great results. I love this guitar, and have loved Yngwie since the first time I heard "Rising Force." This guitar deserves to be called the "Greatest Strat Of All Time" in terms of versatility, playabilty, and overall feel. I love this guitar and feel as if 700 bucks was a steal. I highly recommend this guitar to anybody looking for a great Strat.

I don't care about cosmetics as much as I used to, so it doesn't bother me with a chip here or there. It tells stories that perfect guitars just can't do. The hardware, like stated, isn't exactly great, but the brass nut is yet to even remotely wear down. I like this guitar and will keep it for a very long time.

I got this guitar well used, but have no complaints. All the damage is just cosmetic and nothing I can't deal with. The tremolo has a little oxidation and the pickups are a little difficult to turn at times, but it's okay. The action was like 3/32" off the neck at the last fret and no buzzing. Clearly, the person before actually played this guitar. I love it, but wish that the parts would be in better shape for being only 7 years old. My 1988 Kramer Striker has no oxidation and is much older.

I purchased this guitar from eBay from a guy in Maine and have been very satisfied. This model is a late '90s model in Vintage white with a maple fretboard, just what every Yngwie fan wants. The scalloped fretboard actually makes playing more difficult, but give much more control of bending. This guitar has 2 DiMarzio HS-3 single coils, both low output and very warm sounding. The neck pickup is perfect for those smooth Yngwie "bell" tones that he is famous for in his solos. The bridge pickup is very warm and almost buttery, good for hard rock rhythm and some solos. I like the neck pickup more for solos. I replaced the selector Switch with a 2-way mini toggle so I can go from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup quickly during songs. Basically, this guitar is great unless you play high output modern metal or just absolutely need a guitar that the pickups do all the work for your solos.

apexny
    will-loves-zep
    HELLSHREDD wrote: lik a nutsack ya anal retentive prickSamTotman wrote: Overkill much? He was only asking a question. Learn 2 considerate.
    dont be such a **** hellshred, you were learning once..and look like you still are
    dadudeguy
    its because people like to post.
    apexny wrote: I don't understand why people ask "what's a scalloped fretboard" here...They get their answer 2 months later, when they can just google it and find out now.
    Hendrixrulz74
    i bought one of these beautys and man, it is the best strat i've ever played it sounds awesome. best $2000 i ever spent
    HELLSHREDD
    Hi there , a scalloped fretboard is when ya wipe cooked scallops sauteed in garlic butter on the fret board to give the neck a greasy easy to play feeling, i hope this helps you out ya tard....
    SathiaSun wrote: I don't really know what a Scalloped fretboard is, although I've heard my friends talking about it. Can anybody help me out?
    yngwieisking
    iv got the playloud replica and ohh its soo good i aslo have the cheaper one which is fully scalloped unlike the playloud where it is very lightly scalloped but both equally nice guitars to play malmsteen as thatspretty much alli play and i would never ever sell them haha
    IRISH_PUNK13
    Wingate wrote: I have a question, it's probably a stupid one, but I feel like asking. While on the topic of scalloped fretboards, could I just get and fretboard scalloped? I was thinking my Ibanez RG7620 from the 12th fret up. Just wondering if it works on all fretboards the same.
    I THINK BUT I HEARD THAT LIKE THE FRETBOARDS THAT HAVE LIKE THE BARS AS FRET MARKERS YOU CANT
    EarthenSonata
    I played one of these today in Guitar Center and the scalloped fretboard was fun to play, but not necessarily any harder or easier. Just different.
    ran_zit
    I just bought 2007 yngwie strat in sonic blue. . .it has 3 dimarzio pickups but realised new yngwie strat has symour duncans pickups. .anybody can tell me which is better old or new one. . .
    gutu
    it might be hard to get used to it... but you could just bend easily so no big need to slide all the time. It's a amazing guitar i bet that if you get used to it you'll be abble to do some amazing stuff...
    HaloDestroyer
    I have a scalloped Strat. Had it done by the local luthier who does guitars for some top bands. It doesn't make it any 'easier' to play. Just a bit different. It requires a light touch, and allows you to be more precise when playing at speed, as well as when bending notes, of course. Ben.
    Donkey Fly
    It's where you file wood between the frets. This mean that the strings dont touch the actually fretboard when you play. Just the frets. All it does is make it easier the bend and it's been argued that it's easier to play because it requires a softer toucher. Cons of it however is that you need to take a whole different approach to your playing with it. Cause you have to get used to play with a softer touch. Chords go out of tune if you press to hard for instance. Ways round this are of course for you to just Scallop the fretboard form the 12th fret upwards. Scalloped fretboard have been around for centuries. Yngwie got his incentive of Ritchie Blackmore who is a massive influence on him. That's all i really know.
    Wingate
    pjack
    these are two totally different guitars... the jem has 2 humbuckers and one single coil, the malmsteen strat 3 singlecoils, the jem pickups have a very high output, the malmsteen strats a very low one. the jem has a phenomenal edge pro brigde, the malmsteen strat a normal vintage tremolo.. i own both guitars and in my opinion the jem would always be my first choice, because it has a better sound and the quality is also better. if you like the malmsteen sound and the scalloped neck, then i would recommend the strat i you prefer a guitar that's very versatile and looks good, then buy the jem...but this is just my opinion
    marcussss
    Hey guys, i have a important decision to make; yngwie malmsteen stratocaster or ibanez jem 7vwh. Please let me know your opinion on witch i should choose. Thanks for responding (:
    SathiaSun
    joe482
    I hate to tell you but the only color Fender made in the Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster is vintage white with a brass nut and either rosewood or maple fretboard. Looks like you are selling $150.00 Chinese Fakes.
    HELLSHREDD
    lik a nutsack ya anal retentive prick